• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

Congratulations, Jonathan, on the sighting. Also for your great work with the local authorities in Guangdong, including the links with CCTV. There is no doubt that your actions - together with the local volunteer groups - are having an impact and, if the momentum can be maintained, more effective enforcement of the law could be something more than just a temporary token effort to take the sting out of the issue while the public is watching and, instead, turn into a more enduring policy.

Congratulations, Jonathan, on the sighting. Also for your great work with the local authorities in Guangdong, including the links with CCTV. There is no doubt that your actions - together with the local volunteer groups - are having an impact and, if the momentum can be maintained, more effective enforcement of the law could be something more than just a temporary token effort to take the sting out of the issue while the public is watching and, instead, turn into a more enduring policy.

Absolutely :clap:

a first winter Spoon-billed Sandpiper was present again at Xitou SW guangdong yesterday. I did'nt saw it during a visit in January, so hard to tell if it is the same bird that was present in december or an early migrant, but I suspect 1st W to migrate later.
It is quite possible that the bird come roosting here occasionaly.
There was also a 1st Winter Glaucous-winged Gull amongst 800 large gull, wich 450 were Black-tailed Gull a count record for the province including HK and Macao.
Today 4 people came to shoot the gull from a boat using two feral pigeon throw in the water to attract them. I've call the local forestry dpt office who was again were incredibly quick and efficient to face the situation, 15 minutes later a boat from the army with soldier and machine gun arrived and caught them following our indication on the phone from the beach. It was as looking an action moovie from the beach:) The poachers killed 17 gulls!!!

Brilliant stuff, Jonathan... on seeing the 1w SBS and also the reporting of (and fast reaction of the authorities in response to) the poaching.. It sounds as if genuine progress is being made in Guangdong and that is in no small part down to your efforts... :t:

A well done from me as well Jonathan, it's good to see something positive happening in the world of nature.

Excellent news. It's always nice to hear about non-adult birds as we know so little about them and their haunts. Thanks for reporting and well done too on responding quickly to the gull poaching. Such a positive result and good to know you were taken seriously.

Keep up the good work
Ken

I thought, photo togs are using doves as baits untill the mention of guns came in. :)

Good job Jonathan and congrats on the Spoonie.

Thanks all for your message. I also heard yesterday from the army that they caught another poachers 2 years ago after I reported to the forestry dpt as well.
I found several old cartridge on the beach today, so these guy were coming regurarly.
Sadly I also found 2 injured sanderling on the beach, both with broken wing and one with broken leg as well. I also found for te first time several dead plover and 1 RN Stint on the beach. I never found any before and I think that they've probably been shot as well... One of thel was a Lesser Sand Plover I flagged 2 years ago!
Hopefully the place will be more safe for the birds in the future at Xitou.

I was abble to resight a good batch of flagged birds , many of mine but also a Terek's Sandpiper from Taiwan a Sanderling from chongming Island and a Dunlin wich I allready saw in january but with incomplete ring combinaison, I saw it well this time, the bird is from North America and hopefully will be abble to know exactly from where it comes now that i have the full combinaison...

All the best,

Jonathan

Thanks Mark, yes you make a point, my most worries is that if nobody is in the field and report to the authorities all this poaching issues, nothing is going to change...

another erratum, the SBS was an adult following an email from Nigel Clark...I was confused by what looks like 3 generations of upperpart feathers.

A pictures from the bird as well as from the Glaucous-winged Gull.

Attachments

• SpoonBilledSandpiperDSC_2203Xitou20140301.jpg
    SpoonBilledSandpiperDSC_2203Xitou20140301.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 65
  • GlaucousWingedGull1stWDSC_2352Xitou20140301.jpg
    GlaucousWingedGull1stWDSC_2352Xitou20140301.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 49
today in Dongtai in very low high tide saw 10- Spooner.Mostly in 20~30% br plumage but one has 50%.Peak migration is coming.
also 9 NGreenshank.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back