• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in the city (1 Viewer)

rodneyjohn

Sorry if you've read this. I'm new here and couldn't figure out how to post. What about birds that adopt city folk? There were two eggs yesterday and three today. Read on and advise. Thanks.

I hasten to say I've never been a birder and never aspired to become one, but a pair of house finches have adopted me and I feel a great sense of responsibility. I live on the 23rd floor of a east-facing condo in downtown Toronto, Canada and a pair are nesting in a garden basket. Yesterday, I heard the female sounding quite aggitated and, sure enough, there was an egg. This morning, she laid a second one. What should I do, or not do? I remember I was told as a child never to touch an egg, and I leave them alone when they're in residence. But what happens when it gets warm and I start spring cleaning on the balcony? And what when it gets really hot and we start eating outside? Will they become tame? How long does it take from the laying of the egg to the hatching, and how long from the hatching to the little ones becoming independent? It's very exciting being about 6 ft. from the action, and they don't seem to mind our moving around inside the condo and watching them. Our windows cover the entire 17 ft. balcony. Nor do they start when I open the door to hear him sing. But what now? Should I start putting out seed or just mind my own business. All advice most welcome. Cheers from the great lone land.

Hello Rodney and welcome to the Bird Forum. I would suggest you leave well alone for the moment, as Mrs Finch is probably doing a great job herself. If you do have any more questions, do not hesitate to post them, as someone will be sure to come along and offer advice.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back