• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual user of seed feeder (1 Viewer)

devon.birder

I have seen evidence of dormice in my garden for several years now but it was only 2 years ago that I actually saw one. It had climbed up a tree and then down a wire and was feeding at one of my nut feeders. I saw it a couple more times that year much to my delight.
Last year the wind blew down one of my seed feeders and cracked the top tube which resulted in the two tubes fitting together so that a gap of about 1 inch was at the top. The top two feeding holes were blocked and birds could only use the 2 bottom holes to take seed.
Imagine my surprise when I went one morning to top of the feeder with seed to find a dormouse sitting on a 4 inch pile of seed inside the feeder. I immediately released it into cover but it obviously did not learn any lessons because I had to release it a further twice in the following weeks.
In Autumn I decided to cut some new growth from the trunk of an Ash tree to which a nesting box was attached. A head poked out of the box and it was a Dormouse.
This year I have only had to release the Dormouse once from my seed feeder as I try and keep the level up so that it can get out. I know it uses the feeder on a regular basis because of the amount of sunflower husks that are left inside. The seed feeder is fixed to a cherry tree which is covered in ivy so it has plenty of cover.
I have registered the site with the Devon Wildlife Trust.

Wouldn't mind a few of those too! Get an occasional Red Squirrel in the pines behind the garden, but it's never made it to the multitude of feeders waiting...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back