• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonflies and damselflies, 2013 (1 Viewer)

JCL

There's a similar thread on UK orchids each year, so why not one on Odonata? Share your sightings, intel, musings etc here.

Hoping to get a chance to head out east for Willow and Southern Emeralds and Southern Migrant Hawker this year. Be great to hear about them when/where/if they start appearing. I guess this thread could be a heads up for that kind of thing?

Absolutely. Plus dainty damselfly (?), red-veined darters etc etc. And first emergences of other stuff that folk might be interested in, e.g. Scottish specialities, small red-eye etc. We might want to give MEGAs (e.g. last year's white-face) their own thread, however...

Last year was the worst year for insect recording that I can recollect in my 55 years of being an active recorder. The torrential rain washed hundreds of emerging dragonfly and damselfly nymphs off their emergence posts before they had time to dry their wings. I fear that it will be a poor year for them this year as a result of that happening.

On some ponds I know very well, I was seeing some species in just twos and threes where I was used to seeing them by the scores and occasionally in their hundreds.

Most butterfly and bumblebee species suffered just as much. Moth counts in local traps were also very poor.

Harry

Afternoon all. I've just received the Dragonfly Society magazine, fingers crossed for the Dainty Damselfly which seemed to have a bad year last year.

Last year was the worst year for insect recording that I can recollect in my 55 years of being an active recorder. The torrential rain washed hundreds of emerging dragonfly and damselfly nymphs off their emergence posts before they had time to dry their wings. I fear that it will be a poor year for them this year as a result of that happening.

On some ponds I know very well, I was seeing some species in just twos and threes where I was used to seeing them by the scores and occasionally in their hundreds.

Most butterfly and bumblebee species suffered just as much. Moth counts in local traps were also very poor.

Harry

In general I agree but it was very much subject to timing - for instance at my local Small Red-eye location numbers were well up on the previous year.

Lets hope for better weather this year, though starting with a micro Ice Age is not auspicious!

John

Last year was the worst year for insect recording that I can recollect in my 55 years of being an active recorder.
Harry

Afternoon all. I've just received the Dragonfly Society magazine, fingers crossed for the Dainty Damselfly which seemed to have a bad year last year.

In general I agree but it was very much subject to timing

John

A bad year Harry and John - did not help with recording at all.
Given the weather it will be hard to tell when species will emerge this year.

2012 my worst year. Compared to 2011 with four new species looked for and all four seen and "ticked". White-faced darter, on a BDS trip, plus the three Scottish species of azure hawker and northern damselfly at recommended sites and a lucky find of a northern emerald on a lochan.

Never seen a dainty damselfly. Not easy to identify and am concerned about damage to habitat where found and searched for. Hopeful dainty damselfly will spread to other sites in Kent and cross the Thames into Essex to save me a trip through the Dartford Crossing.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Apparently there were no sightings made in 2012 at the publically accessible site. There were sightings at another site which is private. With such apparent few sites, any negative impact is bad news. Hopefully the species has been overlooked at other nearby sites.

BDS site has a report of hairy dragonfly from Essex on 3 May, which seems to be the first identifiable individual of any species other than large red damsel that they've had this year.

Goring Clubtails

I have read that Clubtails can be seen at Goring. Any news yet or though probably still too early?

I plan to try to visit this year so any local information would be great.

BB

In a small pond beside the M271 today were 5 Azure, 2 Blue-tailed and Large Red Damselflies + three fresh Broad-bodied Chasers

Four immature large reds at Ravensroost meadow, Wilts. That's me finally up and running for the year.

Baron Birder - I'm intending to go for the clubtails at Goring this year so I hope someone will post when they start to emerge. It's a bit early yet, especially with the late spring, but the local view is definitely that the Thames at Goring is the place to go if you want to maximise your chances of seeing them.

Re Goring

This thread http://www.ukdragonflies.com/index.php?topic=1537.0 has useful information where to park / look.

As far as I can tell, 12th May was the first date for Goring last year - a bit difficult to guess what will happen in this 'late' season.

I found two resting in this wild-flower meadow last year on 26th May. Excellent views through bins (even better through telescope). The wildflower meadow was intact unlike the bankside vegetation which looked like it was part of an army assault course rather than had been visited by self-described 'nature loving' photographers.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back