• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

30D + 100-400 IS Purchasing (1 Viewer)

Paul Pearson

Hi

I am new to the forum - this thread has surely been covered before?
However, after much reading and discussion, I am settled on purchasing the 30D and the 100-400 IS.
Before I rush to my nearest Jessops in my excitement to get going, I wanted to ask the Forum its thoughts on the best purchasing option?
Internet vs bundle price by retailer? Hong Kong ebay vs guarantee?

All and any advice welcomed.

best regards

Paul

Hi Paul,
If it was my money I would buy vai the internet from a U.K supplier, Someone like Warehouse Express. I would also avoid Jessops as there prices are way to high.
Good luck, I have a 30D and its a fab camera, And the lense you like is fantastic for bird photography.

Camera from the internet - UK based preferable... lens, check out Kerso on Ebay - based in Scotland and significantly cheaper than UK-based internet stores.

Paul, I got both my 30D and my 100-400mm from AJ Purdy via their website - I could've bought cheaper (though the prices were still pretty good) but I wanted to buy from a "real" company in case of problems. And when my shutter failed after 3000 actuations, I was very glad I did - Purdy's were very good about it.

I bought my 30D and 100-400mm from Jessops. If you push them they will match Internet prices and you can pay over 12 months interest free.
I also like to eyeball them if something goes wrong.
H

I bought my 5D body from Warehouse Express got it interest free for one year no need to twist their arm - make sure you pay back before the year is up...and it cost me nothing. I believe it is better to buy a body in your own country for warranty reasons. My lenses either came from Kerso via Scotland(flashcamera) or B&H / 17th St Photo when visiting US

I bought a 30D body and 100-400mm IS Canon lens at the end of June to take advantage of Canon's cash-back promotions. I'm not sure if anything similar now exists but at the time I found Jessops to be lower priced than the on-line companies I checked for the Camera body and Warehouse Express for the lens. Jessops were considerably more expensive for the lens.

Personally I chose to avoid second-hand or buying from somewhere like Hong Kong via eBay simply because I wouldn't want the hassle if something went wrong.

I bought my 100-400 about a month ago from here....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EF-100-...oryZ4687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

saving about £170 on the UK price and getting two Hoya Pro1 filters and a lens pen included in the price, making the total saving nearer £250. A 3 year Mack international warranty can be added for £15. Canon lens warranties are international in any case, and cover you for the first 12 months. Warranties on bodies are not international so more care is needed with bodies. That probably would be best bought in the UK. Having said that, at least DigitalRev have a UK based (London) service/support centre and a UK based sales website, although the prices there are not as good as their eBay Hong Kong "no VAT" deals. I also bought two other lenses from DigitalRev at the same time and a fourth lens, a 1.4X telecon and some macro tubes from UR-Galaxy. In total I saved over £1500 compared to Jessops online prices for the same kit.

I bought my 30D and 100-400mm from Jessops. If you push them they will match Internet prices and you can pay over 12 months interest free.
I also like to eyeball them if something goes wrong.
H

I did the same, they price matched with me no problem, I've got a Jessops round the corner from where I live and prefer to have somewhere close to go if something goes wrong with any of my gear.

Hi Paul,

Bought the same gear last week from Martins Camera shop. Found it on line but the shop is in Leeds and ordered by phone. I was originally attracted by the fact that the 100-400m was the cheapest anywhere. The owner Martin is very knowledgeable and will price match. I bought the lens for £975, the 30D for £595 and a 4gb CF for £40. He threw in a Hoya UV filter and lots of advice. A nice guy to deal with, delivery was a few days and it was all well packed. In case you are wondering I have no connection to Martin it was just nice to deal with someone honest and knowledgeable who had time to discuss my requirements.

I toyed with the HK idea but have heard too many horror stories of bills for customs arriving from couriers many months after delivery and well after the supplier's VAT refund guarantee expires.

You need to Google "Martinscamerashop" as one word for some reason by the way.

Good luck

Barry

I bought my 30D & 100-400 at Jessops last year when they not only matched the lowest internet price but also gave a further 10% difference as well. I think if you push them (you might have to try different shops) they may well match the internet price so it is worth a try.

I have nearly always bought from Jessops as their after sales service to me in the past has been nothing short of superb.

I would also consider getting the Canon 1.4 teleconverter to go with that kit. I did and I very rarely take my 1.4 off. It is a brilliant addition and brings the subject you are taking that much closer to you.

You can see the results of using the converter on my website, as almost every DSLR photo I have taken since Mid-December has had the 1.4 on.

You will enjoy using the set up as it really is a superb piece of kit. It is complemented well with the 1.4 if you can afford it.

John

I would also consider getting the Canon 1.4 teleconverter to go with that kit. I did and I very rarely take my 1.4 off. It is a brilliant addition and brings the subject you are taking that much closer to you.

You can see the results of using the converter on my website, as almost every DSLR photo I have taken since Mid-December has had the 1.4 on.

You will enjoy using the set up as it really is a superb piece of kit. It is complemented well with the 1.4 if you can afford it.

John
I have both the Canon 1.4 tc and the Kenko Pro 300 1.4 tc and there is not a lot of difference apart from the price - the Kenko is well under half the price of the Canon. I have seen several threads were the Kenko is reported to performs a lot better than the Canon with the pins taped and the 100-400 lens (apparently it hunts a lot less with the Kenko).

Thanks everyone, really hepful.

Prices are now coming back from email enquiries eg AJ Purdy bettered Warehouse Express and also offered a 'thrown in' 1GB memory card. . . I will continue to review and perhaps 'press' a little some of the firms.

Next question - what Canon lens do people use for butterfly/orchid photography?

As I'm going for a bundle price, now seems the moment!

Next question - what Canon lens do people use for butterfly/orchid photography?

I use my 100-400 for most butterfly shots, often with an extension tube to reduce the MFD. For smaller, static subjects I use a Sigma 105 f2.8 macro, it's a superb lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back