• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird's back. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
Well the boy's are back, went out to feed the tribe yesterday, and 3 of them came from under the hedge looking for their sultanas, and do they look in good form!! all very sleek with their nice new feathers, strutting round showing of their winter plumage. The moult just seems to have been longer this year?
bert.

Yep I had one today- having a fight with a worm. The worm lost.

I think it was a female and was very close to the house.

Lozza

I haven't seen my blackbirds since the Spring,so hopefully they should soon be back to fight the Starlings for the sultanas.

when i was younger, i rescued a baby blackbird (naughty, i know!) anyway, i raised it on worms and soggy cornflakes every hour and let it stay in its own bedroom!! eventually, it was fully fledged and i took it down to the local park for release. it reappeared many times in my garden until it plucked up the courage to leave for good. so i have a bit of a soft spot for `blackies' still to this day! allthough my mother thought i was crazy! plus she had to clean up its droppings, bless her!

I've also not seen any blackbirds for some while - is it likely that they will be back soon then? Also does anyone know if thrushes/robins also re-emerge in Autumn.....thinking back to last year I don't recall seeing much of them until November time.

Kiscokid said:
I've also not seen any blackbirds for some while - is it likely that they will be back soon then? Also does anyone know if thrushes/robins also re-emerge in Autumn.....thinking back to last year I don't recall seeing much of them until November time.

I think they'll be there in no time - it's getting cold up here in north-east Europe and all the thrushes are flocking up now, moving off to warmer lands. On local patch today, quite a movement of Blackbirds today, plus a few Song Thrushes. Another few weeks and they'll all be gone to be replaced by a carpet of snow.

PS last winter managed to attract about four Blackbirds throughout the winter - but in general they are absolutely summer visitors. Robins are unheard of in winter, as are Starlings and dozens of others who like to reside in your garden!

Happy winter watching, I'll stick to my Crested Tits, Middle Spotted Woodpeckers, occasional Nutcrackers and other 'winter hardies'!!

Starting to see some blackbirds now, plus had two songthrushes the other day in the garden, which was nice to see. One of the bullfinches has also reappeared along with a flock of LTT's again. Gone a little quiet on the blue/great tit front though.

helenol said:
One of the bullfinches has also reappeared along with a flock of LTT's again. Gone a little quiet on the blue/great tit front though.

Although different races to those in the UK, you know winter is almost here when Bullfinches and Long-tailed Tits start to move through up here - both breed in small numbers, but are amongst some of the few birds that become more common in winter. And there both started to move this week :(

But dead cute Long-tails up here - the pure white-headed forms :)

I haven't seen a blackbird in my garden since the end of July. Plenty in the area just none where I can see them out of my window. There does seem to be a very large number of robins around this year, though.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back