• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wren or young robin on ground feeder? (1 Viewer)

Kiscokid

In the last week I have a visitor who mostly hops around the soil but occasionaly pecks at some seeds on my ground feeder. It is a small bird quite low to the ground and I do not know whether it is a wren or a robin that hasn't got a red plumage yet. We do have a fully grown robin in the garden every day.
Are there any pointers that anyone can give me - as soon as I get the binoculars the bird hops off into the clematis/hedges....!

Hi Kiscokid,

A wren would be much smaller than a robin and would show a "cocked" tail. Could the bird you are seeing be a dunnock? They certainly display the behaviour you are describing. Here is a picture of one from the database.

Thanks for that - I think it could well be a dunnock. It almost has lines of rich dark brown dotted down its back and side.....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back