• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand 2 hrs south of bangkok last week (1 Viewer)

Ian Silvester

Supporter
I was told this was a black naped monach but it does look like this to me

Flycatcher ?

No 2 help please

Thanks

Ian

Attachments

• DSC_1965.jpg
    DSC_1965.jpg
    809.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_1979.jpg
    DSC_1979.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Ian,

Two hours south of Bangkok isn't really that helpful. These are clearly forest birds so to narrow it down further, a location would help especially if altitude is involved. Were these taken at Kaeng Krachan or near vicinity?

Black-naped Monarch and a Cyornis flycatcher female, would suggest Chinese Blue.

Ian,

Two hours south of Bangkok isn't really that helpful. These are clearly forest birds so to narrow it down further, a location would help especially if altitude is involved. Were these taken at Kaeng Krachan or near vicinity?

Black-naped Monarch and a Cyornis flycatcher female, would suggest Chinese Blue.

200 meters high

map attached it was taken in a hide were the yellow mark and pin is hope this helps

Attachments

• map.JPG
    map.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 47
Hi Ian and others,
anybody else think #5 is a specific, type of Tickell's? This sort of Tickell's is so different from the ones usually portrayed. It is found in
in differing habitats as a resident. The extremely paler loral area and blue iridescence on the female is also a feature of this type of Tickell's. The Tickell's in South India looks closer to Chinese Blue Flycatcher. Normally associate Tickell's in the Thai Peninsula with secondary coastal forest and have never seen it this far north at this elevation as given on the map. All have a barely perceptible hooked tip to the bill, but Tickell's has a miniature, woodshrike like hooked tip, to the bill that can clearly be seen in photos #5. Anybody else know of this type from the Peninsula?

Hi Ian and others,
anybody else think #5 is a specific, type of Tickell's? This sort of Tickell's is so different from the ones usually portrayed. It is found in
in differing habitats as a resident. The extremely paler loral area and blue iridescence on the female is also a feature of this type of Tickell's. The Tickell's in South India looks closer to Chinese Blue Flycatcher. Normally associate Tickell's in the Thai Peninsula with secondary coastal forest and have never seen it this far north at this elevation as given on the map. All have a barely perceptible hooked tip to the bill, but Tickell's has a miniature, woodshrike like hooked tip, to the bill that can clearly be seen in photos #5. Anybody else know of this type from the Peninsula?

one more and last one that I have

Attachments

• DSC_1991.jpg
    DSC_1991.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 46
Ian,

I am assuming they are the same individual in all 4 images?

Female indochina Tickell's Blue. Note grey/blue-toned upperparts, and sharply demarcated pale orange breast and absence of rufous tones in tail. This form is widespread across Thailand and is the form that occurs at KK.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=87857&Bird_ID=2636&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

I assume Bryon is referring to sumatrensis which occurs further south in S. Thailand and Malaysia.

Grahame

Ian,

I am assuming they are the same individual in all 4 images?

Female indochina Tickell's Blue. Note grey/blue-toned upperparts, and sharply demarcated pale orange breast and absence of rufous tones in tail. This form is widespread across Thailand and is the form that occurs at KK.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=87857&Bird_ID=2636&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

I assume Bryon is referring to sumatrensis which occurs further south in S. Thailand and Malaysia.

Grahame

I agree, amazing variation in the images. :smoke:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back