• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Warning to walkers after dog owner menaced by wild boar" (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk said:

Is this really a huge problem, wild boar are very numerous in France and Germany with hundreds of thousands hunted every year and not sure if there are large numbers of fatalities. Since it is a native animal seems should be encouraged and without the presence of predators a hunting season allowed in endemic areas which is probably already happenning anyway. Would have thougth it would add to the diversity of habitats and add a certain frisson when you go out for a walk

They're very tasty, too. I've encountered a few in Italy, and had a bit of a stand off with a sow with several young with her on one occasion. But then again, I didn't have a dog with me.

According to very finest French literature, they are easily wrestled and and then roasted whole before a good scrap with the Romans, of course.

Anyone care to speculate as to what kind of action might be taken against these escapes.I'd guess the sharp shooters would be called in at the first unpleasant ''incident'' involving someones dog or child.

Matt

Hm, a situation that I might find myself in. We also have wild boars in Vugrovec and I often go for walks alone (searching for snakes) or with my dog.

To prevent the problem, people should be educated about what to do and what NOT to do. Also, as I read in the article, the boars "were released or escaped", so a better control and fence system should be organized.

I guess it is fault of dog owner. Dog was not controlled, started chasing wild animals, attacked boar, and then run to it's owner bringing the boar in pursuit.

I would encourage all dog owners - keep your dog on leash in the forest, unless your dog REALLY walks at your side. Besides rare chance of being attacked by wild boar, dogs kill thousands of young hares, baby birds, roe deer fawns etc. In Poland and Switzerland letting dogs loose in the forest is forbidden by fine.

I often walk in the forest at night and meet wild boar. I asked widely among hunters in Poland if they were attacked by wild boar. Wild boar always escapes. There was one case when a hunter with dog went between sow and piglets just few meters away and was knocked down. Wounded wild boar beign pursued by hunter (a common thing in hunting season) will attack hunter. However, I never met anybody who was attacked by a boar while walking in the woods. I do it myself, seen hundreds of boars and was never in danger.

jurek said:
I guess it is fault of dog owner. Dog was not controlled, started chasing wild animals, attacked boar, and then run to it's owner bringing the boar in pursuit.

Exactly. The tuskers have always run away from me in Hawaii, but if they feel cornered by a dog they could start attacking anything in range. I overhear a lot of stories like that with all the pig hunters here.

I visit one of the boar colonies several times a year and when they detect me they always run away - to the point that I only have a couple of distant pictures of them. Unless you have a badly trained and controlled dog with you the woods are safer than the cities.

John

If anyone wants more info on Wild Boar in Britain, check out their web site. It is britishwildboar (can't remember the bits, just google it).

John

Last edited:
It astounds me that these articles by supposedly quality sources such as the BBC and the Times talk about these wild boar as if they are isolated exotic escapes. Boar have been escaping for decades and have established viable populations in the wild. They are also a native species. Reading these articles anyone would think a rhino was on the loose.

This article is the most ridiculous. Police were called to the area and there is a crime reference number!!
http://www.tavistock-today.co.uk/today/options/news/newsdetail.cfm?id=34672
A fox raided my bins the other day. Should I report that to the police?

Isn't it about time the Government and the media stopped the hysteria, and accepted that we now have a wild boar population? Put up signs warning people to keep dogs under control, and educate people about this wonderful re-addition to our native fauna.

PS Farnboro John: Where do you go to see them?

Last edited:
jurek said:
I was never attacked by wild boar, but I was twice bitten by dogs on the loose. :-(

Maybe a pet boar should be the new junkie/dealer status symbol -much less chance of kids getting mauled than with American Pit Bull-Terriers!!!

Why is it that people seem to want to protect potentially dangerous animals from extinction, so long as they live far away in other countries (e.g. Tigers in India, Elephants and Lions in Africa, Crocs in Australia etc, etc). However, when native but 'dangerous' Wild Boars are re-colonizing the UK, there is public hysteria and calls for the eradication once more of the species? Conservation NIMBY's if you ask me!

Amarillo said:
It astounds me that these articles by supposedly quality sources such as the BBC and the Times talk about these wild boar as if they are isolated exotic escapes. Boar have been escaping for decades and have established viable populations in the wild. They are also a native species. Reading these articles anyone would think a rhino was on the loose.

This article is the most ridiculous. Police were called to the area and there is a crime reference number!!
http://www.tavistock-today.co.uk/today/options/news/newsdetail.cfm?id=34672
A fox raided my bins the other day. Should I report that to the police?

Isn't it about time the Government and the media stopped the hysteria, and accepted that we now have a wild boar population? Put up signs warning people to keep dogs under control, and educate people about this wonderful re-addition to our native fauna.

PS Farnboro John: Where do you go to see them?

There are warning signs up now in the Forest of Dean where boar have been established for the last few years. A couple of people have had their dogs chased, but the boar have now reverted to type and become pretty much nocturnal, so unlikely to pose much of a danger (other than to me when I'm out at night with the bat detector!). In any case, the local escaped big cat will keep the numbers down!

In this part of the world it's a regular occurrence when the Wild boar get a bit peckish,especially at this time of year; they just pop down to the local garden centre(farm) and help themselves.It's tolerated to a certain degree depending of the amount of damage.

Isn't it about time the Government and the media stopped the hysteria, and accepted that we now have a wild boar population?

The problem is that the media need storys to improve their ratings. The best storys are i.e. scandals, plane crashes, terror plots..., but when they can't find a story, they take a perfectly normal story of a normal event and they "puff it up" and "make an elefant out of a mosquito". So they tell the public "...this is very dangerous..." and people that don't have a clue in the subject will believe them. And so the panick spreads...
We had something like that a couple of weeks ago in Croatia, when "something" was seen wandering in the center of town (I think it was in Split). Eyewitneses described it as having blood red eyes, a monster, fangs, in some stories foam arround its mouth. They went to such extremes in the media and started wrizting that it was an alien, or even "satan". Vets claimed it to be a wild boar possibly ill with rabbies. For two days the media circulated reports that "people are afraid to leave their homes...". Two days later, not even a single word was written about it.

The was a dog killed here in the Forest of Dean by a boar this summer. Keep 'em on a lead, especially when they have "boarlets" is probably the best advice.

I believe one problem is that they have no legal status in Britain so agencies like the FC don't know what to do with them. A reponse from DEFRA is well overdue!

Last edited:
Denis said:
I believe one problem is that they have no legal status in Britain so agencies like the FC don't know what to do with them. A reponse from DEFRA is well overdue!

DEFRA's response has been so incompetent its unbelievable!

They have taken so long to decide what to do, that the decision has effectively been taken for them. i.e. while they have been twiddling their thumbs the boar have been multiplying to the extent that they wouldn't be possible to eradicate now anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back