• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turku area August (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

In mid- august Turku will host the European ornitological conference.
It's not the best time to visit the country birdwise...but I have a couple of questions:

Where can I get update observation for the are (something equivalent to ornitho or ebird)?

Is there any chance for Greenish, Blyth's reed or booted warbler within a 150 or so km range?

Thanks for any info,
ciao

Hi Pietrod,

Updated observations you can get from tiira.fi - I'm not sure do you have to sign up there to search for observations?

Chances to see those birds are quite low. Especially cos they don't sing anymore at August.
Blyth's Reed Warbler nests in the Turku region, a few pairs effort every year.
Greenish Warbler can occur that area too, but better chances to see it is later in the autumn. Some years they migrate in large quantities between coast.
Booted is extremely rare. There is only few pairs annually in eastern part of Finland.

Hi Warixenjalka,

Thanks a lot for the precise info.
If you have one or two birding area you want to advice I will be glad to take note :).

I know the chances are quite slim but why not giving it a try!?!

Thanks again
have fun

I spent some time on Ruissalo which is just south of Turku.

There are Grey Headed Woodpecker amongst other birds that I missed notably Red Breasted Flycatcher. Common Rosefinch easy as was White Tailed Sea Eagle. I can't remember where I got the info possibly the tiira site. I looked for the grey headed woodpecker on one of the first roads to the left after the bridge, habitat - trees into farmland (horses maybe?), the RBFly was looked for in the big wood sort of in the middle - Ajatinluodontie 66 - if I remember there is a really good trail round here - there was certainly a carpark along here.

I found Greenish warbler at Moominland (at least 2), Naantali. I suspect you could find them on Ruissalo though - good habitat.

My father had White Backed Woodpecker on the campsite at Ruissalo. The tree had a Black Woodpecker nest (which I found the year previous) in it and he parked his caravan nearby/under it. He saw the WBWoody through the skylight!

I also went to Raisionlahden lintutorni which is on the west of the city. I think I was hoping for Citrine Wagtail which have been recorded here. I don't remember seeing a lot but it could be productive in August

Hi Aleix

this page does the translations to "3+3", full scientific, Finnish and Schwedish

https://www.tiira.fi/rapot/taksonit.html

That's available without a (free) account but I've never found a way to search the database without creating an account

Cheers, Mark

Thank you very much. I found the swedish language version, which being a germanic language is a little more understandable. An English version would be really appreciated, as they have in Sweden or Norway.

I have registerd and browsed, but unfortunately the webpage doesn't let you zoom unless you become a member of Birdlife.fi...

Cheers,

Aleix

Thank you very much. I found the swedish language version, which being a germanic language is a little more understandable. An English version would be really appreciated, as they have in Sweden or Norway.

I have registerd and browsed, but unfortunately the webpage doesn't let you zoom unless you become a member of Birdlife.fi...

Cheers,

Aleix

Just stick the name of the place in googlay maps :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back