• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch vs. ED Fieldscopes ? (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I have found a few thoughts about the new Nikon Monarch series scopes.

But, how do they perform against the Nikon Fieldscopes, ED 60 and 82.?

I would like those with a direct comparison to respond.

Jerry

fieldscope

I have had all the Nikon filedscopes and now use the MONARCH ED82 almost exclusively. The EDG was by far the best, no comparrison. Just to big for me to be hauling around. I still have my ED50 and love it. I take it on vacations with a mini tripod and it is awesome. The MONARCH is in the middle and has great clarity and still gives me the flexibility to put it in a backpack. I like the angled eye piece but friends who haven't used that feature before like the straight one.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/MONARCH%20Fieldscope%20ED%2082mm%20Obj/DSC_0199.jpg

Jerry,

I continue to think it's possible that the new Monarch scopes contain the optics of the old Fieldscope ED 60 and ED82 installed in cosmetically updated bodies with new eyepieces. The unique off-set Schmidt prism looks exactly the same. Someone with access to both could determine if the reflection patterns that return from the the objective and focusing lenses are identical.

Henry

Henry

Jerry,

I continue to think it's possible that the new Monarch scopes contain the optics of the old Fieldscope ED 60 and ED82 installed in cosmetically updated bodies with new eyepieces. The unique off-set Schmidt prism looks exactly the same. Someone with access to both could determine if the reflection patterns that return from the the objective and focusing lenses are identical.

Henry

Henry

Seen that Nikon is currently under financial pressure, they would certainly be motivated to minimize the development costs involved. Still, it begs the question of why do it at all, the Fieldscope line was still selling reasonably well afaik.

The original idea was really exciting...the fieldscope prism system,modular body and astronomy mount...almost too good to be true..perfect really for an upgrade of the old fieldscopes,and with the introduction of a wide angle (was it?) astronomy zoom and fixed astronomy eyepieces they even has potential sales for the astronomy market..I dont know if swarovski cut them like they did with the open bridge EDG but if they already had put money and effort developing the bodies(the release of the original monarch was close when they announced the drop out),then probably makes economic sense to have upgraded/downgraded the fieldscope series to the monarch level

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back