• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding the Magdalena Valley and Santa Marta mountains of Colombia (1 Viewer)

gioepm

Colombia has more bird species than any other country on earth with +1,900 bird species recorded, over 78 endemics (12 times more than Costa Rica), 143 Tanagers and 158 hummingbirds! Among 5 exceptional birding areas, I want to touch base on 2 rich on species and endemics:

The Magdalena Valley that divides the Central and Eastern Andes Cordillera in Colombia is bountiful in habitats that are critical for the preservation of unique, endemic and sometimes range restricted and endangered bird species such as White-mantled Barbet, Beautiful Woodpecker, Chestnut-capped Piha, Antioquia Bristle-Tyrant, Blue-billed Curassow and Velvet-fronted Euphonia.

The Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta is home to the highest concentration of continental range-restricted bird species found anywhere in the world. These mythical mountains remain remarkably unknown, with at least two new bird species discovered in the last 10 years and the chance to see up to 20 endemics in a day.

I'd love to be able and publish photos here but I'd do from time to time in the photo gallery. For more about birding in the birdiest country on earth, please reply to this post.

With much appreciation,
Giovani
GO BIRDING!

Colombia is a beautiful country with great birds. I would like to more photos from there to remind my 2 trips there. :t:

I just attached a collage photo from the Caribbean Coast. What are some of the locations you have already visited?
Warm regards,
Giovani

Attachments

• Collage Costa Caribe.jpg
    Collage Costa Caribe.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 82
nice shots.

Chestnut-capped Piha is not in the Magdalena valley, though. It's a bird from the Northern Central Andes ;-)

You are totally right temmie. Same tour and not far from the valley but definitely, Chestnut-capped Piha not in the Magdalena Valley. How many times have you been to Colombia?

Hope you are having a great trip

We did our first visit to Colombia including Santa Marta last year. Interested to see how your trip compares.
I attach summary of our trip report.

Attachments

• colombia trip report with first photos and list.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 62
Hey David, thank you so much for your reply and for this trip report, what a treasure! I'll make sure I go over it carefully before coming back to you with how it compares to ours. There would be a few years before we go head to head with Manakin, they are the referent of the birding industry in Colombia, but we are doing our best to get there, with lots of hard work and differentiation. I am attaching our January itinerary for your reference. This is our first attempt to this tour and has already sold out!. So even more precious to have access to the trip report.

Please keep in touch, visit our website www.icarobirding.com and looking forward to talking to you soon.

With appreciation,
Giovani

Attachments

• Magdalena Valley and Santa Marta Mountains birding Tour.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back