• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sicily (1 Viewer)

markspirito

A recent little holiday to Sicily, gave me the chance to do a little birding around our accomodation and surrounding area, which to be honest was fairly quiet, apart from a trickle of migration involving Honey Buzzards, Alpine Swifts, Tawny Pipits and Yellow Wagtails, Bee eaters and the calling of Stone Curlew, Scops owl and Nightjar in the evenings close to our room, however a nice highlight for me was this group of Kentish Plover mixed in with Sanderling on a beach near Castellammare De Golfo, I am just curious where they got the Name Kentish Plover from ?

Attachments

• sicily2017 063.JPG
    sicily2017 063.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 54
I am just curious where they got the Name Kentish Plover from ?

When the species first got its English name, it was a breeding bird in Kent, but not anywhere else in England.

The scientific name Charadrius alexandrinus refers to Alexandria in Egypt, from where Linnaeus got the specimen he described.

When the species first got its English name, it was a breeding bird in Kent, but not anywhere else in England.

The scientific name Charadrius alexandrinus refers to Alexandria in Egypt, from where Linnaeus got the specimen he described.

Interesting , thanks for that

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back