• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Results from colour-ring reading (2 Viewers)

I saw a Black-headed Gull with a yellow ring last week in Barnstaple N Devon. All I got was that the first letter (in black) was probably an 'N' - the rest of the ring was in the water!

Any ideas of scheme?

There is only one scheme using yellow rings starting with N - a Spanish project ringing gulls caught on a landfill site at Salamanca.

The N would be followed by three digits.

Steve

Two days ago I had an orange leg flagged Dunlin - I couldn't get the letters - but its from Svalbard, one of only 5 juvs marked this year

Hello friends,

On September 18th at Huanzidong Reservoir in Liaoning province, China I spotted a banded Siberian Crane:

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39244400

It had 3 bands colored Red, Yellow, Black from top to bottom.

I'm sure someone out there is tracking this information, but I have been unable to Google/Baidu up any sort of interested party.

Do you know where to report this sighting? Or can you report it for me?

Many thanks.

I saw a Black-headed Gull with a yellow ring last week in Barnstaple N Devon. All I got was that the first letter (in black) was probably an 'N' - the rest of the ring was in the water!

Any ideas of scheme?

I saw that BHG Jon and had similarly no luck on reading (Anchorwood Bank).

However I did pick up a yellow-ringed BHG about 3 weeks later at the Skern which read '2H57'. (It's a Thames Gull Group one)

2 and 7 could both look like N but there are a lot of ringed birds on that estuary, we're hardly scratching the surface I imagine.

One of the wintering Black-headed Gulls at Rutland Water the last two years has a Polish colour-ring. It was back, presumably after breeding, yesterday. Surprising how quickly they can raise young and get back here.

Just finished the latest of my quarterly bulletins summarising the information gleaned from ring-reading in Leics and Rutland. This time featuring 255 ringed birds.

If anyone wants a copy just let me have an email address.

Steve

First Black-tailed Godwit ring-reading session of my autumn at Frampton Marsh RSPB, Lincs yesterday.

In five hours I only managed to read five ring combinations completely but thanks to Jenny Gill at UEA I already know that one was ringed in Iceland, one in France, and one in Portugal. The other two were both ringed on the Wash, one of them in 1996 making it at least 25 years old now.

Twenty other species of waders were on the same lagoon as the godwits, so a very enjoyable session.

Steve

We encounter dreadful problems with eliciting information on colour-ringed waders, especially Black-tailed Godwits. You obviously have better contacts!

We encounter dreadful problems with eliciting information on colour-ringed waders, especially Black-tailed Godwits. You obviously have better contacts!

Jenny Gill does a great job as a 'clearing house' for any reports of colour-ringed Blackwits. J.Gill(at)uea.ac.uk.
She has the details of Wash-ringed birds, which I see a lot of, and forwards everything else to the correct ringer/group. Just one of her contacts fails to respond, the rest are mostly pretty prompt.

Other waders, yes I often struggle too.

Steve

I saw a colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwit at Rutland Water on July 26th, just for half an hour before it was flushed by a Peregrine at around 0915. It never returned - but it was seen on the River Orwell in Suffolk by teatime that same day. Amazing.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back