• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bins arriving in one hour-excited. (1 Viewer)

planetx

Hi

This is my very first post.

Trying to get back to birding having had many years away.
Bought myself a secondhand Televid 62mm APO with both a 26WW and 16-48mm Zoom from Clifton Cameras. (Need to find a suitable tripod/head)
I was seriously lacking in the bins department too, still using a 10 year old pair of Helios 8x42's, so yesterday bit the bullet and ordered a used pair of Nikon 8x42's EDG from Focus Optics.
Delivery says '1 hour'.

I am a little excited and just wanted to share with you all.

Steve

Canterbury, Kent.

Hi

Bought myself a secondhand Televid 62mm APO with both a 26WW and 16-48mm Zoom from Clifton Cameras. (Need to find a suitable tripod/head)
I was seriously lacking in the bins department too, still using a 10 year old pair of Helios 8x42's, so yesterday bit the bullet and ordered a used pair of Nikon 8x42's EDG from Focus Optics.
Delivery says '1 hour'.

Steve

Canterbury, Kent.

I'd be excited TOO! :t:

Hi

Delivery says '1 hour'.

Steve

Canterbury, Kent.

I saw those, and was tempted from across the pond... ;-)
Good choice. Please let us know how they work for you.

Bill

So I'm assuming they have already arrived so enjoy and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Evening all.

So.. I don't know all of the technical terms with looking through new glass, needless to say they are very addictive.
Going back to the Helios felt strange and instantly I was wondering how I've managed all this time.
These are my first pair of high end bins.

Now my first viewing was of a common Buzzard being harassed by two crows overhead in the garden and it was a wonderful experience.

I want to give you another welcome to Birdforum. This is a great place to discuss birds and the
optics we use.

I have enjoyed the EDG since they were first introduced, and I hope you enjoy yours.

Be sure to keep us posted.

Jerry

2 weeks in and I'm not enjoying the EDG's, I'm finding them quite a heavy lump and perhaps should've opted for an 8x32.

Back to the drawing board.

Hi^^^ no I haven't yet, I'm guessing they will be a lot lighter?

I'm off to check a pair of Swarovski 8x25CL tomorrow at my local camera store.

Now my first viewing was of a common Buzzard being harassed by two crows overhead in the garden and it was a wonderful experience.

Was it really a wonderful experience ??
I am pretty sure the buzzard would disagree ... ;)

Welcome to the forum !! Enjoy your great EDG.

Canip

2 weeks in and I'm not enjoying the EDG's, I'm finding them quite a heavy lump and perhaps should've opted for an 8x32.

Back to the drawing board.

You mentioned in your first post that the Nikon 8x42 was a used Nikon 8x42 EDG.

There were 2 versions. The current version has a single hinge. The one it replaced had 2 hinges which is known as "open hinge" design,

The link below has a picture of the current version of the 8x42 EDG. The review in it gives the history of the EDGs from 2008 through 2010 when the current version was issued.

https://www.allbinos.com/224-binoculars_review-Nikon_8x42_EDG.html

An 8x32 EDG would weigh about 4 ounces less than the 8x42 EDG. Nikon's 32mm EDG binoculars are on the heavy side. I have a 10x32.

Bob

Last edited:
Steve,
If the only problem with the EDG is the weight, and that otherwise you're happy with the bins, then spec for Nikons very similar Monarch HG is-
Angular field of view (Real/degree): 8.3
Angular field of view (Apparent/degree): 60.3
Field of view at 1,000 m (m): 145
Exit pupil (mm): 5.3
Relative brightness (m):28.1
Eye relief (mm): 17.8
Close focusing distance (m): 2
Length (mm): 145
Width (mm): 131
Depth (mm): 56
Weight (g): 665
Interpupillary distance adjustment (mm): 56 - 74
Waterproof performance: 5 m - 10 min

Price new is approx £720.

Bill

There are few things better than using a new (or new to you) binocular for the first time in the field and drinking in the view that quality optics show you. I am sorry the experience seems to have palled so quickly and sincerely hope that the reason for this is not Birdforum-induced grass is greener syndrome. I had the opportunity to look through the EDG 8x42 at Birdfair and thought it an excellent product, the image perhaps less bright than some others (or at least perceived by myself as such - see the discussion in the "best low light binoculars" thread) but really good in all other respects and giving a particularly good impression of build quality in the hand - the weight and sensitivity of the focusing wheel in particular seeming to me to be exactly as described by Birdforum members. A pocket binocular like the 8x25CL may indeed suit your particular needs best - if you're particularly weight sensitive or have to make an arduous hike carrying other weight (backpack etc) to get where you need to go - but you may find they give up some optical performance for that small package.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back