• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (1 Viewer)

Oh my!!! What a wonderful sight that must have been K!!!

You've a super set of pictures you've taken lad - very well done.

Ruff Day

At least nine Ruff at the Wilderness this morning. Probably at least eleven, as a flock of nine dived into cover, then minutes later I picked out two more at the other end of the water. Didn't see any of the nine slip back to the far end, but it may have been possible, so I'll only record nine.

Moved on to the hide at Balgove Bay for the afternoon. Found more Ruff there (at least six). No Curlew Sandpiper though, which was my hoped for target. And of course no W-T Eagle.

Cuckoo-shrike, sorry just seen your post about where to see the WT Eagles from. If you have a scope then the best bet is to head to one of 3 places - Out Head at St Andrews West Sands, the George Evans Hide at the western end of the golf course at Balgove Bay, or the Eden Estuary Centre at Guardbridge. You can see the birds with binoculars too, but the distances mean they will be small dark blobs at best.

There are two large wooden poles in the estuary that the bird(s) sometimes perch on for long periods of time. Views from Guardbridge are very distant but the poles are easy to see out on the horizon. At the George Evans hide the posts are visible at roughly the "12 o'clock" either side of a wind-sock. From Out Head you would be looking back into the river, or even along the beach opposite. The birds can sometimes be seen flying over Reres Wood and Tentsmuir Forest so from any of the vantage points it can be worthwhile scanning above the trees - the birds are unmistakable, and massive.

Not all 'lumps' on the poles are eagles though. Ospreys could still potentially be seen, though the vast majority have usually passed through by now. Cormorants do sometimes perch on the posts, as do gulls. The Eagles have a very hunched vertical pose, and in good light it can be possible to see the lighter head and white tail, and even the wing tag colour.
A few pics on my blog (scroll down to pictures) -
http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2017_09_04_archive.html
(There are some others on other recent posts).

One other tip is to watch for disturbance - when everything is put up there's usually a raptor involved, if it isn't a Peregrine then it will often be a WT Eagle (Sparrowhawks, Buzzards and even Marsh Harriers also possible, though not to the same degree of disturbance).

Goodness!!! Just had my first ever Magpie in the garden here.

I've not even seen one in the town before this.

Wilderness

Still plenty of Ruff at the Wilderness yesterday morning. Small group of Golden Plover new in.

Attachments

• DSCN8384.jpg
    DSCN8384.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN8404.jpg
    DSCN8404.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN8403.jpg
    DSCN8403.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 87
Delia, in the past week I've had 2 Magpies at Auchmithie, and also 1 in St Andrews near the bus station. Looks like probably the youngsters from this year 'moving out'.

Hiya Barry

Mine looked adult, not sure how to tell if they're an immature one. Might be different if you see loads of them all the time.

He was back again today - scoffing on some rowan berries on the far side of my neighbour's garden. Later came and investigated the remains of the food on the shed roof.

Wilderness

Counted thirteen Ruff at the Wilderness this morning. Also, three Barnacle Geese and one Pink-Footed, new in. Lapwing and Greylag numbers are pretty impressive.

Heading off to Kilminning tomorrow to try and find the Barred Warbler that's been there all week. Also, Yellow-Browed Warblers reported in the area. Both would be lifers.

Heading off to Kilminning tomorrow to try and find the Barred Warbler that's been there all week. Also, Yellow-Browed Warblers reported in the area. Both would be lifers.

Found the Barred Warbler with little difficulty, but Yellow-Browed Warbler remains elusive.

Nice view of a Peregrine at Fife Ness too.

Attachments

• DSCN8566.jpg
    DSCN8566.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN8567.jpg
    DSCN8567.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN8568.jpg
    DSCN8568.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN8564.jpg
    DSCN8564.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 99
Kilminning - Barred Warbler

I arrived at Kilminning at first light this morning, primarily to try and find a Yellow-Browed Warbler. With the wind whistling through from the west, my hopes were not very high, however, finding a significant influx of Goldcrests did raise my hopes a little.

I spent several hours in the undergrowth, but neither saw nor heard anything that could have been a Y-BW.

It seems I have a problem with birds that have hyphenated names, such as Yellow-Browed Warbler, White-Tailed Eagle etc. I must not be posh enough for them! 3:)

One bird that was quite happy to give me a good showing was the resident Barred Warbler. It seems to be battling to protect its Elderberry patch, as first thing in the morning I observed it having a face off with a couple of Song Thrush, then just before I left, I was photographing a Robin, when the BW landed on its back. The fighting spirit seems to be keeping it out in the open a little more, so I was able to grab a few better record shots.

Attachments

• DSCN8865.jpg
    DSCN8865.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN8866.jpg
    DSCN8866.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN8867.jpg
    DSCN8867.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN8858.jpg
    DSCN8858.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN8844.jpg
    DSCN8844.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 89
Fife Ness - Grey Plover

A quick visit to Fife Ness Muir at about mid-day turned up quite a few Goldcrest, a Blackcap and a Treecreeper. Still very quiet there otherwise, however, a walk out to the point before I left, produced two Grey Plover.

Attachments

• DSCN8891.jpg
    DSCN8891.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN8897.jpg
    DSCN8897.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN8900.jpg
    DSCN8900.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 82
Cuckoo-shrike, sorry just seen your post about where to see the WT Eagles from. If you have a scope then the best bet is to head to one of 3 places - Out Head at St Andrews West Sands, the George Evans Hide at the western end of the golf course at Balgove Bay, or the Eden Estuary Centre at Guardbridge. You can see the birds with binoculars too, but the distances mean they will be small dark blobs at best.

There are two large wooden poles in the estuary that the bird(s) sometimes perch on for long periods of time. Views from Guardbridge are very distant but the poles are easy to see out on the horizon. At the George Evans hide the posts are visible at roughly the "12 o'clock" either side of a wind-sock. From Out Head you would be looking back into the river, or even along the beach opposite. The birds can sometimes be seen flying over Reres Wood and Tentsmuir Forest so from any of the vantage points it can be worthwhile scanning above the trees - the birds are unmistakable, and massive.

Not all 'lumps' on the poles are eagles though. Ospreys could still potentially be seen, though the vast majority have usually passed through by now. Cormorants do sometimes perch on the posts, as do gulls. The Eagles have a very hunched vertical pose, and in good light it can be possible to see the lighter head and white tail, and even the wing tag colour.
A few pics on my blog (scroll down to pictures) -
http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2017_09_04_archive.html
(There are some others on other recent posts).

One other tip is to watch for disturbance - when everything is put up there's usually a raptor involved, if it isn't a Peregrine then it will often be a WT Eagle (Sparrowhawks, Buzzards and even Marsh Harriers also possible, though not to the same degree of disturbance).

We went to the Eden Estuary Centre on Saturday afternoon. Scanning the very distant shoreline, I spotted a White-tailed Eagle perched on a post. Even at that range it was obvious. After a few minutes it flew right and landed on the mud, then up again and away over Tentsmuir. An adult bird but too distant to see whether it had one wing-tag (the male) or two (the female).

Thanks for your help.

Lammermuir Poinr

A short visit to the Lammermuir Point in Burntisland allowed me to witness an out and out battle between a pair of Grey Wagtails and a pair of Pied. They were really going for it!

Also found a nice Wheatear.

Attachments

• DSCN8996.jpg
    DSCN8996.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN9002.jpg
    DSCN9002.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN9004.jpg
    DSCN9004.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN9005.jpg
    DSCN9005.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN9006.jpg
    DSCN9006.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 75
while walking along the Arbroath clifftop yesterday at 5.00pm a single barnacle goose flew past calling,it headed west,another new bird for me here

Attachments

• barn.jpg
    barn.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 85
  • robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 101
Clatto

Popped into Clatto for an hour or so. Sixty-three Whoopers arrived while I was there. :t:

Attachments

• DSCN9264.jpg
    DSCN9264.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN9265.jpg
    DSCN9265.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 69
A Winter's Tale

With the coldest season now upon us, I set off this morning for my first real winter session of this end of the year. Weather was dry and fairly calm, but the thermometer was below zero.

First light found me parking up at the back of Shell Bay. Most of the caravans are now unoccupied, and those few few that showed signs of current use, lay silent, as their users slumbered through the early hour.

Normally, I head straight out to the end of Ruddon's Point, then work my way down the Largo side to the burn mouth. Today, I decided to head straight for the burn mouth. I was greeted there by the sight of a large flock of mixed birds, as I set up my scope on the tree lined path. Most noticeable were the abundance of Sanderling. I have a real soft spot for Sanderling, and they could well be my favourite wader, if I ever stopped to work out a favourite. Also present in the wader category were Grey Plover, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Bar-Tailed Godwit, Oystercatcher, Curlew and Redshank.

The stand out bird at this spot however, was not a wader, but a goose. There in the middle of the Cocklemill Burn's channel over the sands, was a single Pale Bellied Brent Goose, earnestly engaged in its morning wash and spruce up.

Having spent some time scanning the assembled flock on the sands below, I now moved out along the point to a small rise that gives good views over the waters of Largo Bay. I'd already found Mallard, Teal and Eider, but to these wildfowl, I soon added Common and Velvet Scoter. While scanning a distant group of the Velvets, I found one with a distinctive patch of white on the back of its neck. I kept on it and it soon turned side on to reveal the further distinctive identification points of a Surf Scoter.

Continuing to monitor the Scoter flocks, I also picked up on Long-Tailed Ducks, Red-Breasted Merganser and Wigeon.

After an hour to an hour and a half of scanning from this point, I decided to move on. This gave me an immediate problem, as the cold had numbed my legs to such a degree, that moving them took a bit of doing. Although the wind was light, coupled with the freezing temperature, the chill factor had caught me unawares. The intent had been to continue out to the end of the point, but I decided that the wisest course of action was to retreat. I headed back the way I had come, spotting another favourite of mine, as a couple of Bullfinch explored a bushy Hawthorn at the edge of the caravans. If I had a favourite finch, despite being common, I think Bullfinch would be in the running for the title.

Reaching the car with blood now once again circulating in my legs, I made the short drive to Kilconquhar Loch. I found the loch pretty quiet. The bulk of its occupants, besides the mixed gulls, were Tufted Duck, Mallard, Goldeneye, Coot and Mute Swan. In amongst them however, there were a few striking Pochard. If I were to design a duck; it would pretty much look like a Pochard. Definitely a possible favourite.

With the sky clouding over during my hour or so at the hide at Kilconquhar, I decided to call it a day. Heading back along the coast road though, I diverted into Lower Largo, and parked up at the yacht club car park. First birds spotted here were not at sea or on the shoreline, but in the undergrowth at the back of the car park. The surprise here was a male Blackcap.

The wind was getting up a little. and along with the now poor light, it did not make for easy viewing, as the sea was getting a little lumpy.

There were a few Velvet Scoter that I picked up on, but just beyond them, I kept getting glimpses of something I felt was grebe like. I tried to focus in using the zoom on the camera, but frustratingly, I was just getting the disturbed water at the spot where each bird dived before a picture could be taken. I was reduced to taking almost blind shots of the areas where I saw the slightest movement, but did not feel I had captured anything. How wrong I was! Once home later in the day, I found that one of my "blind" shots had indeed captured something grebe like. A quick check of the Collins, and confirmation sought and received on the Bird ID Q&A pages (thanks again AW), and I have been able to add Slavonian Grebe to my life list. I have a feeling that Slavonian Grebe is going to be a favourite on mine. :t:

Just before leaving the car park, I spotted a final bird of note, as two Red-Throated Divers sailed by.

Attachments

• DSCN9424.jpg
    DSCN9424.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN9480.jpg
    DSCN9480.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN9447.jpg
    DSCN9447.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN9496.jpg
    DSCN9496.jpg