• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Argentina (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

I started with plans for 2010.
For Oktober or November one of my ideas is northern Argentina.
Start from San Miguel de Tucuman and follow until Bolivian border.
Back south and turn to east like Chaco, Ibera and maybe Iguazu.

Which places are recommeded for bird life, mammals and plants ( e.g. rainforest or nice mountain forest ) ?
How is about Iguazu, is it to much touristy or is it worth in every case for his excellent bird life ( and also other wildlife ) ?

Another idea is San Miguel de Tucuman to north individual with rented car and Iguazu, Ibera with professional bird watching guide.
Which guides or agencies ar recommended ?

Which field guides and bird guides recommended ?
Which guides are recommend for other wildlife and plants ?
Are there good guides for nacional parcs and reserves ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter!

In Tucuman Province you can take the route up to Tafi del Valle. During the route along the "Los Sosa" river you can stop for some birds on the Yungas Forest. The route is very good because the forest slowly changes to High Andes areas.

From Tafi del Valle you can further travel to Amaichá del Valle until the ruins of Quilmes. There is a small hotel next to an old indian city in ruins. Along the route I suggest to stop along any small creek going down and check for High Andes birds.

From Quilmes you can continue to north the route 40 until Cafayate. A city known for good wine. Always stop along the way on small rivers. From Cafayate you have 2 options, taking route 68 directly to Salta city or continuing north until Cachi and from there east to Salta. There you can check the Los Cardones NP.

In Jujuy province I would visit the Calilegua NP. A very nice place to see the cloud forest and the birdwatching along the route which crosses the park is very good. Hotel you can find in 'Libertador San Martin' or believe there was a small hotel in the town of San Francisco.

Also the route from San Salvador de Jujuy to La Quiaca is very beautiful and gives many opportunities to stop. Near Jujuy city you can visit Lagunas de Yala reserve. Then I would visit the towns Purmamarca, Tilcara and Humahuaca and Iruya. Near Abra Pampa going north to La Quiaca you can find some nice lagoons. Also behind Abra Pampa is a nice wetland. Near La Quiaca (almost at border with Bolivia) you can visit the near small town of Yavi to the east. Further east you can visit the town of Santa Victoria. There you can look for some High Andes speciallties. To the west of La Quiaca you can go to the Laguna Los Pozuelos Reserve and search for Puna birds.

Little bit more complicated but also possible you can visit the Baritu NP. You can access this park coming from Bolivia. You have to cross the border to Bolivia at Aguas Blancas and follow the route until Coyambuco and there cross back to Argentina and travel to Los Toldos. There you can find a small hotel. In Baritu is now hotel.

How is about Bolivia ?
I red if You enter to Bolivia, it is not possible to come back for 48 hours.
In travel know how book they recommed travel to Bolivia without sign in Your passport.
How it does works in practise, do you have personal expirience ?

Difference for me is that I have an Argentinian ID-card. This makes it easy for me to get in and out of Bolivia without problems. I never hear about mentioned problems but this does not mean they exist or not. I cannot tell.

Hello,

I started with plans for 2010.
For Oktober or November one of my ideas is northern Argentina.
Start from San Miguel de Tucuman and follow until Bolivian border.
Back south and turn to east like Chaco, Ibera and maybe Iguazu.

Which places are recommeded for bird life, mammals and plants ( e.g. rainforest or nice mountain forest ) ?
How is about Iguazu, is it to much touristy or is it worth in every case for his excellent bird life ( and also other wildlife ) ?

Another idea is San Miguel de Tucuman to north individual with rented car and Iguazu, Ibera with professional bird watching guide.
Which guides or agencies ar recommended ?

Which field guides and bird guides recommended ?
Which guides are recommend for other wildlife and plants ?
Are there good guides for nacional parcs and reserves ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter

You may want to keep an eye on my diary pages of my web site starting at 4th February as we seem to be doing the route you ask about.

http://suebryan.webs.com/suesdiary2010.htm#491388659

Iguazu is very touristy but the bird life is stunning and if you bird some of the old entrance to the park there are some wonderful trails. The falls are definitely worth seeing too!

Best wishes
Sue

Last edited:
Hello Sue,

thank You for the advice.
Somehow the link seems not be longer working ?

Today I got "Birds of Argentina & Urugay".
30 different kind of woodpeckers.
I can not believe are there so many woodpeckers in Argentina ?

In California I found 8 different woodpeckers in 3 weeks and I think that is a lot.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back