• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To buy an eyepiece (1 Viewer)

Hello again, I want to be sure. I found the eyepiece in Ebay but I am no sure if is the zoom, Could anyone tell me if is it?

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Nikon-Field-...sh=item3f5700ed52:g:ARIAAOSw7hRWQqX-#shpCntId

It looks like the zoom but they write speedspot. Is it the same?

Sorry but I don´t understand about telescopes and my English is not good, I have readen the text in ebay but like I said, I am not sure if is the right eyepiece.
Speedpost is how they ship it. Some ship very slowly (a monthy or more) so this is a good thing.

The lens appears to be the correct zoom!

As this is being shipped to europe (from outside) you will/may get some import tax on arrival - i can't remember the limits but used to be anything over 143€ but then taxed on the full amount. This will add 20% if it was France but don't know rate in Spain.

I took out my 50 scope today -only with 20x (13x on 50) - it was pretty good and I really did appreciated the depth of field compared to the 78/38xWide combination (didn't have to refocus much) - hadn't really paid much attention to this until I read on here the other day. You say that other birders are seeing things that you can't but if the bird is that far away is it really worth it?

I found a hidden bird the other day which nobody else could even see for 5 minutes - even after I let them use my scope while I found the same in theirs!

As this is being shipped to europe (from outside) you will/may get some import tax on arrival - i can't remember the limits but used to be anything over 143€ but then taxed on the full amount. This will add 20% if it was France but don't know rate in Spain.

I took out my 50 scope today -only with 20x (13x on 50) - it was pretty good and I really did appreciated the depth of field compared to the 78/38xWide combination (didn't have to refocus much) - hadn't really paid much attention to this until I read on here the other day. You say that other birders are seeing things that you can't but if the bird is that far away is it really worth it?

I found a hidden bird the other day which nobody else could even see for 5 minutes - even after I let them use my scope while I found the same in theirs!
The 25-75 MCII zoom on the ED82A is absolutely worth it. It will reveal details the 50mm can only dream of. Aperture rules.

The 25-75 MCII zoom on the ED82A is absolutely worth it. It will reveal details the 50mm can only dream of. Aperture rules.

I'm sure it is but I've already sold my zoom on. I have 2 Nikon scopes the 50 and 78 two 20x lens, 38xW and the 50x (I think it is but I never use it). I love it but first time users struggle with the focus (stay on case). On migration watchpoints I use the 78 with the 20x and little gets past...

I'm sure it is but I've already sold my zoom on. I have 2 Nikon scopes the 50 and 78 two 20x lens, 38xW and the 50x (I think it is but I never use it). I love it but first time users struggle with the focus (stay on case). On migration watchpoints I use the 78 with the 20x and little gets past...

It's not clear which eyepiece you mean by the 20x. With the 78ED, the lowest power that I am familiar with is 25x, which can be achieved with the zoom at its lowest power, or with the old style (non WF) fixed 20/25x. The latter is a fine eyepiece, and at 25x is an excellent general purpose magnification, so I'm sure you are right that little gets past you. It has a much wider FOV than the zoom at equivalent magnification, having the same true field as the 16/24/30x DS or 24/30x MC, at only slightly less magnification than those.

--AP

Finally I have bought the zoom in amazon, 274 euros. It´s arriving on Monday, I can not wait! I will tell if I like it.

Thank you all of you!

Finally I have bought the zoom in amazon, 274 euros. It´s arriving on Monday, I can not wait! I will tell if I like it.

Thank you all of you!
Enjoy!
Now, a few caveats.

1. At 75X you'll need a stable tripod and calm winds. Otherwise, image shake will be very disappointing. There's a learning curve to using scopes & tripods at high power. Thankfully, your zoom starts at 25X! You can add stability to a scope by hanging a dead weight (I use a daypack) from a convenient point on the scope. Trust me, it dampens vibrations, especially in high winds.

2. Around 45X and above heat shimmer can seriously degrade the image. Expect this or you might be disappointed in the "view". When conditions are optimal you should get a crystal clear view all the way to 75X. However, conditions are rarely optimal.

3. Make sure the scope to tripod adapter is mounted firmly on the scope and does not twist.

Have fun.

The zoom is not cheap,..274 euros is ok if you have the eyepiece already shipping from europe..in Spain import taxes apply after 35 (¡¡¡¡¡) euros......including the price of shipping(¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡).20 % PLUS duty fees..(about 17 extra euros that you have to pay for the service of being taxed)..so your final price at least doesnt have hidden surprises.....About high end scopes and apparent image quality...sometimes a particular brand or model suppose to be so much better that is difficult to be objective,specially in a fast comparison...in my experience ,the only scope i have seen shine above average ,clearly,is the swaro atx 85.The kowa 88 prominar also made an impression...but swaros ats 80 Hd,kowas 82 prominar(my current scope),nikon fieldscope Ed,are very ,very close.Of course individual units might be a tad better or worse,but dont get the wrong idea about your Ed 82 being a lesser scope,or you will find yourself longing after something that doesnt exist...until you reach the 3500 euro price point...and remember...those wide angle zooms only get 70% of your combo reach¡...
Enjoy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back