• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why the three bands? (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi

I spotted this warbler at Brandon Marsh nature reserve yesterday, West Midlands, UK. I could not get a great photo, but you can see the bands. There are three of different colours, could anyone tell me why?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 139
Hi

I spotted this warbler at Brandon Marsh nature reserve yesterday, West Midlands, UK. I could not get a great photo, but you can see the bands. There are three of different colours, could anyone tell me why?

Thanks

Vey simple - the bands, or colour-rings, will have been fitted to the bird by a ringer so that the individual can be identified. Chances are it will be a ringer operating at Brandon Marsh who is doing a study of the local population of whatever species it is.

Steve

Thanks - I was down after they left yesterday as it was after work. I'll ask next time I am down during the day.

Thanks - I was down after they left yesterday as it was after work. I'll ask next time I am down during the day.

Hi Julie

The colour rings are used as part of the Brandon Ringing Group's contribution to the BTO's Re-trapping Adults for Survival scheme on a specific study of Reed Warbler's on the marsh. Details of our ringing are summarised in the Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve 2016 Report, available from the Visitor Centre.

Getting a photograph of these illusive birds as they move through the reeds is not easy but I can make out that the rings are orange/mauve/ green/blue stripe, which were put on a newly arrived bird on 18 May this year.

Hi

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I will definitely have a look at the report next time I am down.

The reserve looks great at the moment :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back