• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzard ... or Honey-buzzard? (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Came across this the other day ... the new species Honey-buzzard which I had not encountered before. Bit confused, does the hyphen mean it is a type of honey?

Came across it on a County birding website, although I see the BTO uses it.

Who else commonly uses it within the wider birding community?

Surprised you've not come across Honey-buzzard before! It's the current official BOU name and has been for many years, but now they've decided to follow IOC, it'll revert to unhyphenated at the end of this year. Also still currently the standard name in British Birds; I'm guessing they too will follow IOC spelling from the end of this year.

The reasoning behind the hyphen is that it's not a species of Buteo; IOC's argument is that 'buzzard' is wider than just the genus Buteo (e.g. Black-breasted Buzzard Hamirostra melanosternon from Australia) so the hyphen isn't necessary.

From the preamble to the 2013 edition of the official British List; note last sentence:

The use of hyphens can, however, be very useful in helping to differentiate between species, even at the vernacular level. For many years, birders have used Stone Curlew for Burhinus oedicnemus, but this suggests that this species is related to the Numenius curlews such as Curlew and Whimbrel when it clearly is not. The same also applies to Honey Buzzard Pernis apivorus, which is not related to the Buteo buzzards, and Night Heron Nycticorax nycticorax, which is not an Ardea heron or related to any of the smaller heron species. In these instances, the BOU feels that it is justified to alter the written form of a vernacular name without changing the spoken form of the name in order to make the true species form distinct. As such, the BOU uses the vernacular names of Stone-curlew, Honey-buzzard and Night-heron in its publications.

I've seen it and I suspect the hyphenated form is right: but it doesn't look right! Personally I write Honey Buzzard, Stone Curlew, Night Heron.

Funnily enough Oriental (or Crested) Honey-buzzard doesn't look so wrong, so its probably just custom and practice that makes the difference.

John

Of course Northumbrian HB are famous for their unique diet of rabbits, pigeons, crows and carrion . . . 3:)
They've got to eat the rabbits so they can use the vacated burrows as nest holes and hibernation hideouts.

I've seen hundreds, maybe thousands of real ones this past week and still they come. A camera back photo from last Saturday below.

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
In this respect I'm with Clements / eBird rather than IOC in preferring European Honey-buzzard...a three-part (note my hyphen) name looks wrong unless hyphenated. So Honey Buzzard looks OK, but not European Honey Buzzard or Crested Honey Buzzard.

This is echoed in current treatments of English wild plant names: Stace's Flora of the British Isles refers to (for example) Red Dead-nettle, which also serves to emphasise that dead-nettles are to nettles what honey-buzzards are to buzzards (i.e. a different genus).

I can't find it, but I think there may be some sort of stylistic justification for this convention?

Of course, I'd prefer to call it a European honey-buzzard, but I'm not going to re-open that particular debate!

In this respect I'm with Clements / eBird rather than IOC in preferring European Honey-buzzard...a three-part (note my hyphen) name looks wrong unless hyphenated. So Honey Buzzard looks OK, but not European Honey Buzzard or Crested Honey Buzzard.

This is echoed in current treatments of English wild plant names: Stace's Flora of the British Isles refers to (for example) Red Dead-nettle, which also serves to emphasise that dead-nettles are to nettles what honey-buzzards are to buzzards (i.e. a different genus).

Nothing wrong with unhyphenated 3-part names! That's actually where Stace makes some awful mistakes.

Lady Amherst's Pheasant
Great Northern Diver
Great Crested Grebe
Lesser Spotted Eagle
American Golden Plover
Pacific Golden Plover
Lesser Crested Tern
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Great Grey Shrike
Cape May Warbler

Nothing wrong with unhyphenated 3-part names! That's actually where Stace makes some awful mistakes.

Great Grey Shrike

Also Lesser Grey, Southern Grey and/or Steppe Grey Shrikes, I have trouble keeping up with large grey Lanius shuffling......

Eastern Black Redstart - oops, not yet..... ;)

John

... IOC's argument is that 'buzzard' is wider than just the genus Buteo (e.g. Black-breasted Buzzard Hamirostra melanosternon from Australia) so the hyphen isn't necessary.

IIRC Honey-buzzards (Pernis) are actually closer related to Egyptian and Bearded Vulture than to Buteo buzzards. If that's the case, than the IOC's definition of a buzzard is in fact very wide... Hyphen makes absolutely sense here in my opinion.

Lady Amherst's Pheasant
Great Northern Diver
Great Crested Grebe
Lesser Spotted Eagle
American Golden Plover
Pacific Golden Plover
Lesser Crested Tern
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Great Grey Shrike
Cape May Warbler

Not at all, like Rufous Bush Robin but I think Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin sounds more evocative even though its a mouthful - dunno why :king:

...just use Lammergeier :t:

Ok, this is leading the thread away from the topic, but the name 'Lammergeier' is derived from German, whereas the German name is Bartgeier = Bearded Vulture. Don't like the name Lammergeier anyway, same is true for Killer Whale instead of Orca. Lammergeier (lamb vulture) creates the impression of a dangerous bird of prey, that kills sweet little lambs and should better be shot or poisoned...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back