• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Top 10 Expected Species for Your Country (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Now that fall is here and it is the best time for birds to surprise us, I wondered what people here are expecting as new additions to their national lists. I'm not talking about life lists but the official national list for your country, determined by an RC or etc.

To get the ball rolling, here is my top 10 for Turkey. They're not in exact order but the ones high up are more probable.

1. Western Reef Heron
2. Sooty Shearwater
3. Pin-tailed Snipe
4. Radde’s Warbler
5. Red-flanked Bluetail
6. Oriental Pratincole
7. Black Scrub Robin
8. Amur Falcon
9. Leach’s Storm Petrel
10. Long-billed Dowitcher

What about your country?

Kuzey

We just had a competition in the Netherlands to see who'd be the best at predicting a new species, which started in 2010. There were 22 new species for the Dutch list of which I had predicted ONE (out of five) correctly. Funnily, despite over 200 participants, there were quite a few new birds that had not been predicted at all (not a miracle since African Desert Warbler was one of them). The winner had predicted American Robin and Brown Booby.
Curious birds that are still missing on the Dutch list include Least Sandpiper, Black-browed Albatross, Semipalmated Plover, Lesser Sandplover, Taiga Flycatcher, Blackpoll Warbler and Buff-bellied Pipit. I expect Black-throated Accentor, Citril Finch and Snow Finch could be outsiders for turning up.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back