• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpigeons on feeders - help please! (1 Viewer)

Kezza

Woodpigeons on feeders

I am having a problem with Woodpigeons eating all of the seed from the feeders.

I used to have a basic seed feeder with a mixed seed in it which the house sparrows loved. I later added one with sunflower hearts and soon gained goldfinches, greenfinches, coal tit and bullfinches - great! Unfortunately I also gained two rats!! :eek!: They were feeding under the feeders on all the fallen seed. So I bought a screw in base tray for the feeders and thought that would solve the problem. Then the Woodpigeons learnt to land on this base and ate huge amounts of seed. We sometimes had 8 in one go which in our small garden is a lot and I couldn't keep up with the cost of the seed.

I ended up having to take away the hanging seed feeders and now just feed a small amount of black sunflower seeds on a small mesh table attached to a feeder pole. Sadly this has meant that I've lost all the finches. The rats have gone too but pigeons still eat all the seed leaving the tits looking dissapointed! |8(| I don't mind the pigeons feeding under the feeders but I can't afford to feed 8 of them masses of seed every day.

Can anyone please suggest a feeder that will stop the pigeons? Ideally I need a smallish hanging table/feeder with a roof and mesh sides to keep large birds off - I've searched the shops and internet but I can't find one anywhere! There must be an answer...

Last edited:
Kezzz,
I had this problem and bought a cage to go round the feeder (from RSPB or CJ Wildbird Foods). It took a while for the birds to get used to it but eventually they did.
Carol
Kezza said:
I am having a problem with Woodpigeons eating all of the seed from the feeders.

I used to have a basic seed feeder with a mixed seed in it which the house sparrows loved. I later added one with sunflower hearts and soon gained goldfinches, greenfinches, coal tit and bullfinches - great! Unfortunately I also gained two rats!! :eek!: They were feeding under the feeders on all the fallen seed. So I bought a screw in base tray for the feeders and thought that would solve the problem. Then the Woodpigeons learnt to land on this base and ate huge amounts of seed. We sometimes had 8 in one go which in our small garden is alot. Their constant flapping disagreements scarred the other birds and I couldn't keep up with the cost of the seed.

I ended up having to take away the hanging seed feeders and now just feed a small amount of black sunflower seeds on a small mesh table attached to a feeder pole. Sadly this has meant that I've lost all the finches :-C The rats have gone but pigeons still eat all the seed leaving the tits looking dissapointed! |8(| I don't mind the pigeons feeding under the feeders but I can't afford to feed 8 of them masses of seed every day.

I would love to be able to feed a mixed seed and/or sunflower hearts again but can anyone please suggest a feeder that will stop the pigeons? Ideally I need a smallish hanging table/feeder with a roof and mesh sides to keep large birds off - I've searched the shops and internet but I can't find one anywhere! There must be an answer...

Carol is correct the cage is the way to go. Have a look at:

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=10&nav_id=35&prd_id=526

Ground (not whole) peanuts, soaked raisins can be feed via the bird table for larger birds such as blackbirds. I don't find the woodpigeons eat those. If you buy one with a plastic pole mice don't climb up it (not sure about rats). You can of course provide some sunflower seeds for the woodpigeons as sparrows do feel safer with larger birds hanging around too.

Had the same problem kezza. woodpigeons eat and eat thats why they are fat. i disagree though, they are too dumb to figure out how to get food using their podgy bodies. looks like there is no alternative, get out the gun.

Pesky Pigeons!

Thank you for the helpful replies! I'm going to get one or two of the guardian feeders as suggested, they're exactly what I need - the pigeons won't stand a chance and hopefully the finches will return.

As a temporary measure the other day, I got a hanging basket with just soil in it and placed a plate on top with seed etc then got another empty basket and put it upside down on the top creating a large ball shape. The sparrows and robin where straight in to the food. Then along came Mr Woodpigeon who spent several minutes walking backwards and forwards along the fence eyeing up my creation with a look of disgust on his face.

He then launched himself onto the basket and amused me for 15 mins flying on and off and walking awkwardly on it. Managed to reach a small amount by feeding with legs higher than head 'blue tit style'! Think he realised how stupid he looked with his rear in the air and finally gave up, still hungry. By which time I was feeling sorry for him and put a few seeds on the ground - they weren't there for long.

Last edited:
Very creative!!

Hey, I like the idea of using two hanging basket frames to make a ball type feeder - I have not heard of that one before, so I think you could be on to a winner there. Market it quick, and make a small fortune, which you could then use to feed all your birds - pigeons included!!!!

edrick owl said:
Hey, I like the idea of using two hanging basket frames to make a ball type feeder - I have not heard of that one before, so I think you could be on to a winner there. Market it quick, and make a small fortune, which you could then use to feed all your birds - pigeons included!!!!

Thanks Edrick Owl! Its still working well with only one persistent pigeon still trying to feed. I think £50 each is about right :bounce: (it took alot of brainpower to design!!) - buy two, get a free pigeon!

Now Kezza I've used a similar ploy on my birdtable to keep the Pigeons and Doves off. I purchased a piece of green plastic-coated metal mesh (£3), cut it and bent it into shape, and by fitting two curtain hooks either side of each front/back roof support - which acts as a hinge, I secure it all by just lifting and hooking/locking it in to place via two larger curtain hooks - one on each side. Understand? Good!
I now have an easy to use, hinged mesh front, that keeps all the Pigeons, Doves, Magpies and Jackdaws off.

Before anyone gets upset, I provide for these birds on seperate feeders/places in my garden! The reason I took these measures were to secure feeding for the Tree Sparrows that use this one birdtable in my garden - averaging around 8 per day, but up to 15 at some times!! These are Red Listed, so get more of my attention. The table is also used by House Sparrows, Robins, Chaffinches, Greenfinches etc, but primarily as stated for the Tree Sparrows.

Result? Everyone happy, hopefully, allegedly!

Plastic coated wire mesh

I've read it three times and yes now I think I understand! Great idea! That is a very simple(!) and cheap way of adapting any bird table to exclude pigeons isn't it. I don't have a table, but I think getting one, adding the wire and a sprinkling of sunflower hearts would be a good way of encouraging the finches back to my garden.

Funnily enough, just last week I was at the tip/recycling place and noticed a large piece of that green wire/plastic mesh that someone had thrown away. So I helped myself to it as it looked useful - waste not want not. Found it handy in keeping my pet rabbits off the flower bed. Think I'll buy some more and a small hanging table to try out.

Thanks for the idea! :t:

PS - "edrick owl - a real twit!" - I love that! Makes my smile every time I read it!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back