• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Redpoll , Stockholm, Sweden? (1 Viewer)

Anovek

I have a flock of Mealys on the ground and one seems quite brown. Is it a Lesser Redpoll. The issue has been discussed in a previous thread re Arctic Redpoll , with pics recently. Now I have a new pic.

Spotted in garden December 28, 2010!

Cheers,
Ann Novek

Attachments

• söndag 26 dec 054.JPG
    söndag 26 dec 054.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 175
In my opinion a photo of the underparts is more revealing, unless there are other birds in the photo to contrast upperparts shades of brown.

Your bird could be a Lesser Redpoll, but it also looks to have quite typical Mealy Redpoll underparts.

But they vary so much, so best wait til the experts come along!

Lesser Redpoll in southern Sweden

I plan to visit southern Sweden next May and see your post about Lesser Redpoll with interest. From the exchange it sounds as if it is a rarity in Stockholm but is this a bird that can be found in the Goteborg area?

I plan to visit southern Sweden next May and see your post about Lesser Redpoll with interest. From the exchange it sounds as if it is a rarity in Stockholm but is this a bird that can be found in the Goteborg area?
It is. Cabaret actually breeds on the west coast and can be seen here all year round. flammea is mostly a winter visitor to this area.

We don't treat them as separate species in Sweden though and as you may know they are a delicate group that's frequently debated. :)

Ann, from this picture only I would say that it probably would not qualify as a Lesser with those underparts and wingbands for example.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back