• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I Think It Was A Blue Throat, in the garden? England. (1 Viewer)

palval147

We saw a strange bird yesterday & am hoping it's still around so I can get a pic. I had never seen it before. OH spotted it first, in the tree, three doors up, back garden.
It has a very light chest, almost white, yellow on it's bill each side, like a baby bird has, but it isn't a baby, a brown head, brown & mottled wings & a brown back & is Starling size, as one landed near this bird & spooked it.
When it flew, it flew like a Thrush, in fact it looks like a Thrush, but not any species of Thrush I had ever seen before.
We have come to the conclusion the bird is a juvenile Blue Throat, from looking at pics of one on the net.

I'm wondering if they have been spotted in England this Autumn?

Not a Bluethroat I'm afraid Val. They are MUCH smaller than a thrush. Try hard to get a photo and we'll have a bash at it as it sounds interesting.

Chris

A BT should also show a rusty-red tailbase. And as Chris says, it isn't even half the size of a starling/thrush.

//Ben

Juvenile Rosy Starling sounds close from the description? Always a few this time of year.

Googling pics, it could have been.

or just a normal juv Starling

No, I know it was not a normal juvenile Starling, we have those here regularly.

Not a Redwing, much too light on it's chest & neck, whick was white under it's bill, like a Whitethroats.

The other bird I thought it might be was Dark-throated Thrush, on Googling it.

Thanks Guys for your answers. The bird hasn't come back, so it looks as if we'll never know what it was.|:(|

Hi Val,
the Dark-throated Thrushes,of which there are 2, The Black throated and the Red throated are both Siberian birds that very rarely come west of the Urals. So the likelyhood is that its not one of these. That said, if it was I would indeed be a nice find and you'd be mobbed with twitchers, lol.

Andy

Well, I've learnt something new from following this thread - I didn't realise Rose-coloured Starling juveniles looked like that. Very interesting and it does sound like it fits the OP description.
Hobbes

Hi again,
I found this link http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=164077 for the Rose coloured Starling, which does sound like your bird as others have already noted. They have recently been sighted in Devon.

Andy

Many thanks, Andy, brilliant link & yes, from the photo's in that link it was definitely a Rose Coloured juvenile.

Well, I've learnt something new from following this thread - I didn't realise Rose-coloured Starling juveniles looked like that. Very interesting and it does sound like it fits the OP description.
Hobbes

Neither did I, Hobbes2. Saw an adult once at Slapton so not a life tick, but unusual to see a fairly rare bird here in our town.

Many thanks, Andy, brilliant link & yes, from the photo's in that link it was definitely a Rose Coloured juvenile.

Neither did I, Hobbes2. Saw an adult once at Slapton so not a life tick, but unusual to see a fairly rare bird here in our town.

Hi Val, very pleased you've solved the mystery and very interesting indeed. What a great sighting to have from your garden/home!
Hobbes

If your sure thats what it is then you might want to report it to someone as I'm sure some local birders will be interested to try and refind it.

If your sure thats what it is then you might want to report it to someone as I'm sure some local birders will be interested to try and refind it.

I am not 100% certain. Wouldn't like to send people on a wild goose chase. If I see it again & can positively identify it, then I will report it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back