• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2nd Sparrow-like ID *Graphic* roadkill--Death Valley National Park California (1 Viewer)

SHolt

I am a biologist that has worked for the National Park Service for 6 years as an employee and volunteer. Currently I am working on a project to document roadkill along the Death Valley National Park roads. I need assistance identifying three birds. This will be the second of three posts. This bird was found along California Highway 190 heading East towards Las Vegas. It was very close to the Mile Marke post 111.50 near the turnoff to Badwater Road. The other bird is also very graphic. The image was taken at 9:21 am Pacific Daylight Time in very bright sunlight. The bird is in my shadow so that the colors weren't diminished.

It was very mangled. When I removed it from the roadway, it was too damaged to take further photographs that would aid in identification.

Attachments

• 0930010925 - Copy.jpg
    0930010925 - Copy.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 176
Tough one. Sparrow or finch of some sort, I would think. The exact shape of the bill might help: does the bill survive?

Short answer, No. The Ravens were quickly converging. I remember it as having similar coloration and about 3/4 the length with a similar thickness of the sparrow in my first roadkill post.

One thinks first of emberizid sparrows, but all the ones with streaked breast and flanks have pink, or at least pale, feet. Those are icteriid feet, which leaves us with one possibility, female or immature Red-winged Blackbird.

Will

One thinks first of emberizid sparrows, but all the ones with streaked breast and flanks have pink, or at least pale, feet. Those are icteriid feet, which leaves us with one possibility, female or immature Red-winged Blackbird.

Quite right: I didn't consider the feet. Female Red-winged Blackbird now looks good to me also.

Thanks for the identification assistance. There are numerous flocks of 40+ female and juvenile redwing black birds that currently are found in and around this are of the park.

Full Disclosure: I was within a hair of posting a reasoned discussion of why it had to be a Savannah Sparrow when I took a last look at the photo and actually saw what I had been looking at.

Will

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back