• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American bird guide app (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Hi, looking for recommendations for a north American bird guide app. Something along the lines of the Collins birdguide app.

Regards Gerard.

There is Sibley's, as Andrew mentioned. Also iBird and Peterson's to mention a couple more.

I have all the North American birding apps. My favorite by far is the Sibley and if I were limited to one that would definitely be it.

Many thanks for the replies, I did put in Sibley in the app store earlier and it was giving me no results but now it is giving me the guide app. Looks like its exactly what I'm looking for.

Regards Gerard.

For your information: the current app is based on version 1 of the big Sibley guide. The book is out in second edition, with a different publisher, and the new publisher seems to prefer to work with a different app developer. I do not know how that will work out regarding upgrading from 1 to 2 when the second ed app comes out, and I do not know when the new app will be available. Therefore, purchasing the current version may not be advised if you have a long time horizon before you really need it.

Niels

Niels, thanks for posting about the Sibley App. I was seriously considering adding it to my iPad, will wait for a while.

For your information: the current app is based on version 1 of the big Sibley guide. The book is out in second edition, with a different publisher, and the new publisher seems to prefer to work with a different app developer. I do not know how that will work out regarding upgrading from 1 to 2 when the second ed app comes out, and I do not know when the new app will be available. Therefore, purchasing the current version may not be advised if you have a long time horizon before you really need it.

Niels

Thanks for the info Neils, I've purchased the current version as it could be a while before the second version is released. As it stands the current version is sufficient for my needs.

Regards Gerard.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back