• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

2 Redshank this morning both on the meadow, also Green Sandpiper, LRP, 2 Reed Bunting, Meadow Pipit, 3 Skylark, & min of 7 Chiffchaff.

John.

Rich we have cleared most of the rubbish with the help of Tices Birders and a few locals, but of coase it will be on going. We have now started trimming trees to lift canopy and removing tree gards. So plenty of things for you to do on your return.
Sitting of hide i agree with Rich and John s , where we use to veiw from best spot just need a lot of water. It will be magic.
John put me onto Redshank this morning only got one of them, Green Sandpiper still about and Little ring .
Keep an eye out for lots of Smooth Newts in the small ponds along new track.

Apologies I wasn't able to make it to the clear-up on Friday, looking forward to getting stuck in later in the year though, and agree a hide overlooking the workings would be ideal.
Late afternoon visit for me today (16:30-18:00) to make the most of the later daylight, and it didn't disappoint! Thanks to Rich and Dave's info I picked up the stunning male Greenland Wheatear on the meadow, darting about near the LRP. Several Meadow Pipits and Pied Wags around that area too. After a flyover by four Sand Martins and a Peregrine, a Redshank showed itself in the silt pond. After three Roe Deer wandered across the meadow and a Black-headed Gull (bizarrely) picked a fight with a Stock Dove, a Red Kite gave a very fine low fly past heading north. As I was leaving, two Sparrowhawks circled over.

Matt.

Apologies I wasn't able to make it to the clear-up on Friday, looking forward to getting stuck in later in the year though, and agree a hide overlooking the workings would be ideal.
Late afternoon visit for me today (16:30-18:00) to make the most of the later daylight, and it didn't disappoint! Thanks to Rich and Dave's info I picked up the stunning male Greenland Wheatear on the meadow, darting about near the LRP. Several Meadow Pipits and Pied Wags around that area too. After a flyover by four Sand Martins and a Peregrine, a Redshank showed itself in the silt pond. After three Roe Deer wandered across the meadow and a Black-headed Gull (bizarrely) picked a fight with a Stock Dove, a Red Kite gave a very fine low fly past heading north. As I was leaving, two Sparrowhawks circled over.

Matt.

Matt,

Bloody good 90 minutes it would seem. I am always impressed with Red Kites at this time of year; clearly juveniles which have been kicked out of their former territory.

Matt,

Bloody good 90 minutes it would seem. I am always impressed with Red Kites at this time of year; clearly juveniles which have been kicked out of their former territory.

Yes, Rich - amazing how they turn up all over the place at this time of year. Had one over Woking town centre on Saturday evening, and finally added one to my garden list a couple of weeks ago!

Matt.

Last edited:
A quite bizarre early session this morning, did my circuit as normal finding very little apart from 4 Chiffies, 3 Skylarks, & 2 Meadow Pipits. However on the way back I decided to re-check the meadow & noticed a dark goose on the floods. This turned out to be, I think, a site first in the form of an unringed adult Brent Goose. It was still present when I left at 08:30, texted Rich H so hopefully more of you chaps will get to see it.

John.

A quite bizarre early session this morning, did my circuit as normal finding very little apart from 4 Chiffies, 3 Skylarks, & 2 Meadow Pipits. However on the way back I decided to re-check the meadow & noticed a dark goose on the floods. This turned out to be, I think, a site first in the form of an unringed adult Brent Goose. It was still present when I left at 08:30, texted Rich H so hopefully more of you chaps will get to see it.

John.

Hi John,

It is a site first, well done.

I was working this morning so by the time I saw the 09:20 text from RH it was 13:00. Arrivied on site just after 13:30 but there was no sign of the Brent Goose.
Later, in the evening I was near Dorney Lake which is nearly directly North of Tices Meadow. Before I went there I first quickly visited the Jubilee River as it usually has a large number of Greylag/Canada geese. To my surprise there was a Brent Goose amongst them (the second I've seen here) I would like to think it was the Tices bird but I think my was a 1st winter (the black was tinged brown). As with Surrey don't get that many in Bucks either.

Kevin

Looking at the meadow today I believe it will be dry in the next 3 weeks, unless it rains of course. So just a small window to attract the migrant waders.

The fence along the edge of the meadow does look good to attract a migrant Redstart during early April. Checked today but just a Jay sitting on the wire.

Kevin

No Brent Goose for me either when I arrived at c.16:30, although some consolation in the form of another low fly over from a Red Kite which then lingered over the Badshot Lea Pond area for a good thirty minutes. It kept dipping below the treeline though and eventually I lost sight of it. Could well have flown further west, but I'm not 100% certain it didn't land in a tree and perhaps roost in that area. Otherwise, good numbers of Pied Wags, Meadow Pipits and Skylarks, as well as seventeen Fieldfare and at least ten Linnets. Strange seeing such winter flocks of passerines after the recent summery weather!

Matt.

This morning 07:00 - 09:00 - 6 Chifchaff, 6+ Skylark, 5+ Meadow Pipit, Green Sandpiper, 3 Little Egret, 3 LRP, Teal, & Male Wheatear.

John.

Another late visit for me, and another Red Kite! I picked it up circling over the A31 at 17:45, before it circled very high and drifted northwest and was lost to the glare of the sun at 17:55.

Matt.

Yesterday, I went on a coach trip to Hengistbury Head, and on the way back along the Hog's Back, three Red Kite were circling (roughly between Tice's and Guildford) at about 18:00, so they are obviously around.

Expect them to become a regular sighting I would say.

Chaps just to keep you updated attended liaison meeting this afternoon a few politics going on Re the name of the area Tices or Runfold ect. New fences going up soon to form new path way from mound to concrete plant then left out of existing gate. Will mean we will not be able to veiw down the tracks untill hides are in place and fence ,Hansons stated 2 hides and with the proposed hide at the Kiln to. Mat phelps and i went Test Valley Southhampton to veiw thier hide, info through Steve Bailly BWVT very nice for £12,000 think we could adapt a Hanson s container if they are willing for max £3,000 saving moneys for other projects. Give me your feed back.
Back to birding Willow Wabler back two along stream two Raven over Seal and Sands today.
While at the kiln found fresh Owl pellets think they are Tawny Owl keep your eyes open.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the update, to be honest it doesn't matter what name is adopted, we will always know it as Tices anyway!
Were the recent incurrsions by the local youths mentioned to Hanson?
As regards the hides, 2 at the locations mentioned sounds great, main thing is that they are robust as inevitably the locals will have a go at them. In my view not worth spending huge sums on deluxe jobs that won't last five minutes.

Cheers,

John.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the update, to be honest it doesn't matter what name is adopted, we will always know it as Tices anyway!
As regards the hides, 2 at the locations mentioned sounds great, main thing is that they are robust as inevitably the locals will have a go at them. In my view not worth spending huge sums on deluxe jobs that won't last five minutes.

Cheers,

John.

Agreed with the name although it will be rather bizarre if we are Tices Birders, recording on Surrey Birders as Tice's Meadow and Hansons calling it something else.

Who's upset about the name? Norman No Mates?

Hi Rich,

Cheers,

John.
As you say John we dont care what they call it we know it as Tices Meadow.
Local youths was mentioned thats why fences going up.
Bird hides again why spend moneys as long as it keeps people dry.

I agree with all of you. 2 hides sounds great. What about the talk of getting some water going in, is it still a possibility? Is the Nag still in the field?

I agree with all of you. 2 hides sounds great. What about the talk of getting some water going in, is it still a possibility? Is the Nag still in the field?

Have asked Hanson to stop pumping water from bore hole into Blackwater put it in the workings. The nag is still in field.Court action if they dont close gate off . We can only see.

Quiet this morning little in the way of migrants, at least 6 Chiffchaff, 4 + Skylark, 3 Meadow Pipit, Reed Bunting, & an increase to 4 LRP.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back