• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (8 Viewers)

Weather looked ideal for some grounded stuff, but not to be. On the up-side, this afternoon a Cuckoo flew over high north. Also, an unseasonal female Pochard was present, a Hobby was hunting all afternoon, and managed to snatch a passerine from the bushes (didn't see what it was), and the record of Great Crested Grebe has rised to 13. Lots of hirundines and 60 Swift.

I'll be on the mound tomorrow afternoon but fear we are now running out of time for migrants. Still birds appearing but they are now beginning to thin out - Portland has been quiet this week. Hoping for a Blue-headed Wagtail though; this species is appearing all over the place.

Five Ringed Plover present early this morning until flushed by a Black Headed Gull, also a Greenland type Wheatear on the bike pool posts.

John.

Five Ringed Plover again this morning, also Common Sandpiper, & 4 LRP. The pair of Teal are also still around on the meadow but not the last remaining drake Shoveler which seems to have departed at last.

John.

The Ringed Plovers were still present at 1700hrs on Sunday. Rather late, I think, was a lone White Wagtail amongst several Pieds along the flooded path. Hundreds of Hirrundines over the workings with tens of Swifts hawking over the reed-bed which appeared to be full of singing Reed Warblers. Plenty of Warblers present throughout the site with Garden Warbler singing at the southern end of the scrub, Whitethroats everywhere and a pair of Blackcap holding territory behind the mound.

I see the Piedbald Horse is still on the meadow - burger anyone?

Last edited:
Given the influx of potential breeders at Tice's and considering the latest arrivals I would suggest we have a news blackout for certain species until breeding is ruled out. Please continue to report on Surrey Birders but place a y in the breeding box to ensure that the bird is hidden from veiw but the report is still seen by the BTO.

Your thoughts please.

Last edited:
Given the influx of potential breeders at Tice's and considering the latest arrivals I would suggest we have a news blackout for certain species until breeding is ruled out. Please continue to report on Surrey Birders but place a y in the breeding box to ensure that the bird is hidden from veiw but the report is still seen by the BTO.

Your thoughts please.

Fully agree with you Rich. That why i v been a bit quite lately.

Your thoughts please.

Absolutely agree, Rich, although for certain species I just don't record on Surrey Birders altogether at this time of year as not all the Schedule 1 species seem to have the tick box 'hidden' feature of say the LRPs, and technically could still be seen by anyone.

Matt.

Kev must of waited most of the day waiting for Greenshank with out result so must be tomorrow they arrive . Later on Dave and i got Hobby , Sparrowhawk and Dunlin.
Rich

Absolutely agree, Rich, although for certain species I just don't record on Surrey Birders altogether at this time of year as not all the Schedule 1 species seem to have the tick box 'hidden' feature of say the LRPs, and technically could still be seen by anyone.

Matt.

Strange really that all Schedule 1 birds aren't covered. LRP and Cetti's added and you get the warning templete directly. Not sure what you get with the species currently in location.

Temminck's Stint still present this evening. It seems it have spent much of the day behind the reedbed.

Had a possible Honey Buzzard pass over east this afternoon, but I am not going to claim it. It held it's wings flat the whole time (in view c10 minutes), but then circled and showed common buzzard-like underwings. Then it soared off interacting with a Buzzard.

No sign of the Stint this morning between 0515-0620hrs. Will try again later.

I tried later - no such luck but did connect with Redshank -eventually, having only heard it calling initially. Highly improbably though was a fly through Roseate Tern; a dark billed, pale, extremely long tailed individual which flew through to the South West. In all honesty I had to think about this bird and it only occurred to me what I had seen once it had gone. If pressed to report this to SBC I shall described it as an anorexic tropicbird. I grilled all the Common Terns once I had confirmed in my mind what I had seen but it hadn't returned and the jizz and overall aspect of the bird was different; more like a dark billed, long tailed Arctic.

My 135th species for the site.

Last edited:
No sign of the Stint this morning between 0515-0620hrs. Will try again later.

I tried later - no such luck but did connect with Redshank -eventually, having only heard it calling initially. Highly improbably though was a fly through Roseate Tern; a dark billed, pale, extremely long tailed individual which flew through to the South West. In all honesty I had to think about this bird and it only occurred to me what I had seen once it had gone. If pressed to report this to SBC I shall described it as an anorexic tropicbird. I grilled all the Common Terns once I had confirmed in my mind what I had seen but it hadn't returned and the jizz and overall aspect of the bird was different; more like a dark billed, long tailed Arctic.

My 135th species for the site.

I see a Roseate was reported at Boldermere this morning. Possibly the same bird.

Gents,

despite what I have said in the past I have submitted 'rare' bird reports for the following species.

Bewick's Swan
Gannet
Roseate Tern

We will need to submit for the other 'rarer' species we have seen recently at Tice's. Would suggest we need to submit for the following:

Temmick's Stint - Kev D? Full report.
Sanderling (outer Surrey reports only apperently). Notes only. Who found it?
Goshawk - Rich H and Sean? Full report.

Could the finders please submit to Dave Harris at SBC so that we can have the reports validated!? Add all the other observers to add credence. The format of the report is found here:

www.surreybirdclub.org.uk/how_to_report.html

Cheers.

Rich Sgt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back