• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rick Young Binocular Harness/strap (1 Viewer)

Troub,
Nice catch noticing the 'haha' had been removed and thanks
for the assist. You're a good egg. :)

Dennis,
You're full of shizzle. I interpreted your comments on this thread the same
way as Lee. From the ' rope burns' comments to your subsequent glee at my disappointment, it was clear you have it in for Rick Young. I just wonder what
happened between you two. It's a good thing I don't take you too seriously, otherwise I would've been offended by your poor behavior.

~ team Annabel Lee
Gold, Sochi, Winter 2014

- Denco
Disqualified for unsportsmanlike conduct

I shall wear my gold medal with pride o:D
L

Embarrassed American

I think you are interpreting my HaHa in a different way than it is meant to be. I don't mean it literally. I really don't care if you like it or not. I think Annabeth understands my sense of humor. I think sometimes some humor is not understood or is misinterpreted by different countries. Just chill out. That's an American expression meaning relax and stay on the thread.
Whoa! Five Star review by Annabeth (very funny).

Dennis,

You showed guilt, you knew you were wrong, because you went back to hide the evidence by editing out the offending “HaHa” (still shown within post 55).

You hide behind the “misinterpreted by different countries” line. That didn’t work either. I was taken aback. The “So the RY wasn't the dream harness you thought it would be? HaHa!” comment clearly sounds like a childish victory for Dennis. You had a lot riding on the “failure” of that harness. Troubador in posts 55, 57, and 59 expressed my feelings exactly.

Do you also “really don't care if you like it or not” when it comes to what Americans think?

I’m writing because of your, “Just chill out. That's an American expression meaning relax and stay on the thread.” No, not in the context of this thread, not with your background. Especially with the "Just" in front, “Just chill out” means, stuff it… stop talking. (“Chill out” in person, between close friends, in a quiet voice can mean relax, or don’t let it bother you.)

So… you tried to hide the evidence, blame others for not accepting your faulty argument, and then told them to stop talking. And what's with your post 24 comment? Odd you don’t know her well enough to write her correct name, but feel comfortable enough to write a risqué remark like that. If you are not careful, the “You're full of shizzle” label may stick to you.

Think before you hit submit, but if you stay true to form, you will weasel out some statement and believe you got the best of it.

Last edited:
Over here, in germany, "haha" was understood by me the same way as it was from the other fellows of anglo-saxon heritage. Bit of an universal thing, this. Not good.
But a good review, Annabeth, it made me decide not to bother with a harness like this.

(This is a very nice forum with, all in all, polite and helpful people participating, so the protection shown in the attachment is not a necessity;))

Back to the harness. Until now I could find ones made from 20-25mm webbing, such as my Swarovski, and now this, too.
So, is the RY one a positive development by using elasticated cord? Maybe using wider elasticated straps could combine both advantages?

Attachments

• 05.10.2010  018-1.JPG
    05.10.2010 018-1.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Dennis,

You showed guilt, you knew you were wrong, because you went back to hide the evidence by editing out the offending “HaHa” (still shown within post 55).

You hide behind the “misinterpreted by different countries” line. That didn’t work either. I was taken aback. The “So the RY wasn't the dream harness you thought it would be? HaHa!” comment clearly sounds like a childish victory for Dennis. You had a lot riding on the “failure” of that harness. Troubador in posts 55, 57, and 59 expressed my feelings exactly.

Do you also “really don't care if you like it or not” when it comes to what Americans think?

I’m writing because of your, “Just chill out. That's an American expression meaning relax and stay on the thread.” No, not in the context of this thread, not with your background. Especially with the "Just" in front, “Just chill out” means, stuff it… stop talking. (“Chill out” in person, between close friends, in a quiet voice can mean relax, or don’t let it bother you.)

So… you tried to hide the evidence, blame others for not accepting your faulty argument, and then told them to stop talking. And what's with your post 24 comment? Odd you don’t know her well enough to write her correct name, but feel comfortable enough to write a risqué remark like that. If you are not careful, the “You're full of shizzle” label may stick to you.

Think before you hit submit, but if you stay true to form, you will weasel out some statement and believe you got the best of it.
I am sorry but I guess I did find it a little humorous when Annabeth didn't like the RY harness, as well as, her Leupold harness. I really could never grasp how a harness made out of a cord could EVER be as comfortable as a harness made out of a strap even though I tried to wrap my head around it. It is logical and common sense that a strap is going to distribute the weight of a larger binocular more evenly and comfortably on your shoulders and mid-section than a cord. I can't think of one binocular that uses a cord for the neck strap outside of some tiny lightweight 8x20 compacts. Most binocular straps are WIDER where they go around your neck for better weight distribution and many are elasticized. Have you EVER seen suspenders for your pants made out of a CORD? NO! It is kind of like when you are kids and you tell your friend not to jump off the house because he will hurt himself but he does it anyway and breaks his leg and then you say "I told you so." The RY harness looked like a gimmick to me and that is what I still think it is.

Last edited:
Over here, in germany, "haha" was understood by me the same way as it was from the other fellows of anglo-saxon heritage. Bit of an universal thing, this. Not good.
But a good review, Annabeth, it made me decide not to bother with a harness like this.

(This is a very nice forum with, all in all, polite and helpful people participating, so the protection shown in the attachment is not a necessity;))

Back to the harness. Until now I could find ones made from 20-25mm webbing, such as my Swarovski, and now this, too.
So, is the RY one a positive development by using elasticated cord? Maybe using wider elasticated straps could combine both advantages?
Be careful not to get that Troll Spray on yourself.

Dennis,

Are you a Private Investigator or an Attorney? I feel like I am being Cross Examined. I tried to hide evidence and showed guilt. Funny!

Last edited:
I am sorry

It is kind of like when you are kids and you tell your friend not to jump off the house because he will hurt himself but he does it anyway and breaks his leg and then you say "I told you so."

" I am sorry" looks like an apology to me. Hope it was meant sincerely.

The bit about the deranged kid leaping off the house is a good story Dennis and I can see where you are coming from. Saying 'I told you so' to your pal as you try to help him would be justified.

But what wouldn't be justified would be to stand there laughing at him, going HaHa.

Nuff said.

Lee

Hi, I am still using this harness. I now addedd the optech "adapt its" connectors which I connected to the metal key ring. Just adds a cm or so to the length of the connectors, this works well.

What I like about the harness is its versatility, it can quickly be made longer and used hanging over the shoulder instead in neck-strap or harness mode. Unlike a classical (long) strap, this harness is really usable hanging over the shoulder, because it slides well up and down and the bin can be brough quickly to the eyes without getting stuck. Both the quick adjustability and the low friction with clothing are advantages of the round and relatively thin straps, and it would work less good with wider material I think.

I still wonder how it works with only wearing a thin shirt. I will know in a couple of weeks, there is a trip to the tropics coming soon. I really don't like the wide hot and sweaty neopren strap in my neck all day in tropical climate, so I put some hope in this RY strap ;)

Last edited:
" I am sorry" looks like an apology to me. Hope it was meant sincerely.

The bit about the deranged kid leaping off the house is a good story Dennis and I can see where you are coming from. Saying 'I told you so' to your pal as you try to help him would be justified.

But what wouldn't be justified would be to stand there laughing at him, going HaHa.

Nuff said.

Lee

Nuff said is right. You nailed it...a perfect landing.
Your total score is 10 out of 10. :)

I am sorry but I guess I did find it a little humorous when Annabeth didn't like the RY harness, as well as, her Leupold harness. I really could never grasp how a harness made out of a cord could EVER be as comfortable as a harness made out of a strap even though I tried to wrap my head around it. It is logical and common sense that a strap is going to distribute the weight of a larger binocular more evenly and comfortably on your shoulders and mid-section than a cord. I can't think of one binocular that uses a cord for the neck strap outside of some tiny lightweight 8x20 compacts. Most binocular straps are WIDER where they go around your neck for better weight distribution and many are elasticized. Have you EVER seen suspenders for your pants made out of a CORD? NO! It is kind of like when you are kids and you tell your friend not to jump off the house because he will hurt himself but he does it anyway and breaks his leg and then you say "I told you so." The RY harness looked like a gimmick to me and that is what I still think it is.

Really? Do you mean to imply that you've never purchased something and
felt it wasn't quite for you?...that you had tried it and realized it was a mistake?
This doesn't sound familiar at all? I guess you have the right to be so smug towards others when you've made perfect purchases and never had to return anything ... you know, like a binocular or something of that nature. ;)
:-O

Hi, I am still using this harness. I now addedd the optech "adapt its" connectors which I connected to the metal key ring. Just adds a cm or so to the length of the connectors, this works well.

What I like about the harness is its versatility, it can quickly be made longer and used hanging over the shoulder instead in neck-strap or harness mode. Unlike a classical (long) strap, this harness is really usable hanging over the shoulder, because it slides well up and down and the bin can be brough quickly to the eyes without getting stuck. Both the quick adjustability and the low friction with clothing are advantages of the round and relatively thin straps, and it would work less good with wider material I think.

I still wonder how it works with only wearing a thin shirt. I will know in a couple of weeks, there is a trip to the tropics coming soon. I really don't like the wide hot and sweaty neopren strap in my neck all day in tropical climate, so I put some hope in this RY strap ;)
With a thin shirt I can't see how it won't be uncomfortable. The cord is bound to cut into you. I would test it at home before you rely on it on a big trip to the tropics. I would rather have a little sweat.

Last edited:
Really? Do you mean to imply that you've never purchased something and
felt it wasn't quite for you?...that you had tried it and realized it was a mistake?
This doesn't sound familiar at all? I guess you have the right to be so smug towards others when you've made perfect purchases and never had to return anything ... you know, like a binocular or something of that nature. ;)
:-O
I have returned more binoculars I am sure than the normal person because many you have to try before you can really tell if they are going to work for you but this corded harness I have to admit from the beginning I could not see the logic behind it. A cord is not going to be as comfortable as a strap unless you have a very thick jacket on. The HaHa was not meant to ridicule you in anyway. It has become a trademark of some of my posts and is not meant to humiliate. Maybe it was uncalled for in that situation.

I have returned more binoculars I am sure than the normal person because many you have to try before you can really tell if they are going to work for you but this corded harness I have to admit from the beginning I could not see the logic behind it. A cord is not going to be as comfortable as a strap unless you have a very thick jacket on. The HaHa was not meant to ridicule you in anyway. It has become a trademark of some of my posts and is not meant to humiliate. Maybe it was uncalled for in that situation.

No problem Dennis. I just want to make sure I was clear in my review: The RY strap is not terribly uncomfortable and there are many who get by with it just fine.
I just found my old harness to be slightly more comfortable for me. It's all just preference and some may really find it to be the perfect solution for them. I think it's still a unique creation.

With a thin shirt I can't see how it won't be uncomfortable. The cord is bound to cut into you. I would test it at home before you rely on it on a big trip to the tropics. I would rather have a little sweat.

I've used it in all seasons in the US and also in the tropics, just several degrees north of the Equator in hot and humid weather. With a thin shirt it is NOT uncomfortable. The cord does NOT cut into you. You adjust the tightness easily to where it's comfortable and still holding the binoculars - not at all difficult. It takes up so little room and is so convenient to remove with snap rings that I put on it and on all my straps that it's with me whenever I take my binoculars into the field.

I am always amazed at your definitive pronouncements about something you've never tried. But I've realized for a long time now, you're all hat and no cattle.

but this corded harness I have to admit from the beginning I could not see the logic behind it.

Dennis, thanks for your opinion on this. Be assured, I got your point by now, so there is no need to repeat it another 10 times or so.

You may have noticed that there are people who think dfferent than you, as they have said clearly for example already in post #14 or #17. And: they have used this harness, while you have not.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back