• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sad news from Gigrin Farm (1 Viewer)

nigelblake

don't re member
It is very sad to hear the news that Eithel Powell, the man who founded the Red Kite feeding station at Gigrin farm, passed away yesterday.
Having met Eithel on many visits to Gigrin I was always struck by this quiet gentlemans vision and love for the birds of his valley. He bought Red Kites into viewing range for birders and ordinary public alike, and has been a great messenger for the cause of conservation.

I would like to extend my best wishes to the Powell family.

http://www.gigrin.co.uk/gigrin_news.html

how sad.

he has left a great legacy gladly, and these amazing birds will be enjoyed for ever, thanks to his efforts.

That is so sad. My heart goes out to his family. A remarkable man and one that was always willing to go that extra mile to explain things to you. His love of his beloved Red Kite shone through as well as his love of the valley he lived in.

I certainly think he has done as much for bringing Red Kites to everyones attention as the reintroduction schemes. I have never visited Wales since the feeding station was opened but I have certainly read plenty about it.

A sad loss.

This is sad news indeed! I saw my first ever Red Kites at Gigrin two years ago. Last week-end I was in south west Wales and was watching several of them just north of Neath and was appreciating Eithel's part in making this happen. My sympathy goes to his family, and my gratitude to Eithel.

I had the pleasure of meeting him on a couple of occasions, his enthusiasm was infectious. His passsing is a great loss and my thoughts are with his family.

So sad to hear this, my family and I visited last November and I vividly remember chatting with Eithel about our shared love of Kenya. I hope his family take great comfort in the wonderful legacy he has left.

Wales is a little poorer for his passing, but infinitely richer for his legacy.

I was, likewise, very sorry to hear this ...on my infrequent visits to the UK in the last years, popped in several times to Gilgrin and was always impressed by this man and his achievements.

Condolances to his family. Having never been, it's probably about time I did, so I can pay respects and donate something to continue the work.

GV

A very sad loss, but his love for the birds will never be forgotten.

I am so sorry to hear this. Was thinking of going there today in fact, but the weather forecast put me off. Maybe it's just as well in some ways. I never did meet Eithel, at least I can't remember now although I did visit Gigrin some years back. Got my first (bad) pics of Red Kites there. I hope things will continue with enthusiasm even though he has gone. I pray Eithel is in a better place with even more beauty to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back