• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (2 Viewers)

Jaff

Registered Member
So it was a 7D all along. That Canon rumours site seems to get things right after all, even the specs.

It's also accompanied by the 100mm f2.8 IS macro as well, just as predicted.

Let us all pat ourselves on the back for whatever reason we feel like it. ;)

Everything can be found on dpreview as usual.

You're up late Jaff!

Now watch everyone gripe about the 18MP and the fact it'll probably be quite expensive too*.

I'm going to buy one though, I've been ready to upgrade from my 400D/xTI for a while now and was hanging on to see what Canon would release this year. This one seems to tick most of the boxes........

Edited to add: *Actually it's only $1699 on Canon's US website and I guess the retail price will be less than that.

And if you use M-Raw or S-Raw does that mean less noise than Raw at 18MP? The M-Raw is the same size (10MP) as my 400D.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the high ISO noise levels from the 18mp. After the criticism (perhaps unfairly) of the 50D high ISO noise levels one can only assume that Canon are confident that this one will deliver.
Another thing that caught my eye is the AF system and particularly the AF point expansion to aid tracking.
I wonder what this baby is going to sell for, dual processors sounds expensive.

No prices in Japan as yet, I reckon it'll be around the ¥150,000 mark (the 50D is around ¥100,000).

The 15-85 looks interesting, if that is the kit lens I'll probably get it if only adds another ¥20-30,000 onto the cost of the body.

park cameras have a uk price of £1599

http://www.parkcameras.com/12958/Canon-EOS-7D.html

the 15-85 is an interesting lens. and the 18-135 fills a much needed hole for my canon friends.

Just gone up to £1699 :C

Still, all I have to do is resist temptation for a few months and I'm sure it'll be a lot closer to £1500.

Does look good though. Imaging Resource reckons 0.5 stops better than the 50D when it comes to high-ISO noise.

And the 18MP means no resizing for Alamy B :)

What's so good about it?

have a read of here and see what you think... http://www.canon-europe.com/About_U.../Cameras_Accessories/EOS_7D_Press_Release.asp

Having read that my first thoughts are:
- I'm amazed it's called a 7D, I assumed the 7D when it arrived would be full frame.
- having consulted 5000 photographers about what they want I'm shocked to see a 18mp sensor, lets hope the high ISO performance is as good as it will need to be.
- 19 point AF, 8fps and dual processors all look promising.
- an intergrated speedlite transmitter, could be a great feature.
- new body design, so new accessories (battery and battery grip) needed.
- electronic levels in viewfinder, great for landscape work.

and perhaps most interesting of all this comment from WHE's page - "also a dual layer sensor which gathers information from each distinct zone to produce an accurate, consistent exposure"... I wonder quite what this means, perhaps one layer for shadows and the other for highlights, leading to an improved dynamic range?

What's so good about it?

If the noise is, as IR reports, 0.5 stop better than the 50D, then this sensor gives what is probably the best pixels-per-bird figure of any Canon dSLR. If you read Tim's thread about reach you'll get a good idea as to how important ppb is in those situations where one can't get close enough to fill the frame.

What I'm also hoping for is an improved AF system that gets something close to the focussing of the 1D series.

Of course, there'll be more bleating about how the extra smeggypickles means that the per-pixel noise is no better than the 50D and about how it's even more sucsceptible to diffraction effects (which don't show on the 50D until around f22). But I'm lucky - I only care about the final image, not about how it looks at the pixel level.

The hard decision will be - get this in a few months or hang on to see if there's a 1D MkIV that can tempt me.

But if I make a trip to Park Cameras sometime in the next weeks I don't think I'll be able to resist.

Well thats only 12 months and 6 days 50d to 7d, who said theres no chance of the them bringing out a upgrade to the 50d before Xmas. I think there will be alot of 40d upgrades coming, does that mean a bigger raw files maybe 25mp, and full HD video, of cause all of those that don't want video wont be buying it :-C, at the moment I wont be upgrading, will wait till it drops in price and buy off cheapest supplier around the world, so that will be around easter maybe, plenty of reviews out by than, I can see I will have to sell some model trains to pay for it :C. Roy that will go very well with your 300 f2.8 I can hear the money jiggling in your pocket :-O

have a read of here and see what you think... http://www.canon-europe.com/About_U.../Cameras_Accessories/EOS_7D_Press_Release.asp

Having read that my first thoughts are:
- I'm amazed it's called a 7D, I assumed the 7D when it arrived would be full frame.
- having consulted 5000 photographers about what they want I'm shocked to see a 18mp sensor, lets hope the high ISO performance is as good as it will need to be.
- 19 point AF, 8fps and dual processors all look promising.
- an intergrated speedlite transmitter, could be a great feature.
- new body design, so new accessories (battery and battery grip) needed.
- electronic levels in viewfinder, great for landscape work.

and perhaps most interesting of all this comment from WHE's page - "also a dual layer sensor which gathers information from each distinct zone to produce an accurate, consistent exposure"... I wonder quite what this means, perhaps one layer for shadows and the other for highlights, leading to an improved dynamic range?

the name is quite clever. they are saying that it is a higher level spec body compared to the xxd. Its what Nikon have done with the d300/d700. psychological I guess.

the interesting thing will be high iso. given the complaints over the 50d.

and of course it puts the pressure on Nikon on to respond so good news for us Nikon users.

another interesting thing is that Canon and Sony have launched two cameras at a similar price point.

Canon an 18mp, 8fps APS-C camera and Sony a 24 mp 3 fps Full Frame camera.

Given we know the sensor in the Sony we know it will be darned good but not as good as what Canon and Nikon have done with FF at high iso. However the 7d has an amazing pixel density will it deliver at high iso. Intriguing stuff.

Well thats only 12 months and 6 days 50d to 7d, who said theres no chance of the them bringing out a upgrade to the 50d before Xmas. I think there will be alot of 40d upgrades coming, does that mean a bigger raw files maybe 25mp, and full HD video, of cause all of those that don't want video wont be buying it :-C, at the moment I wont be upgrading, will wait till it drops in price and buy off cheapest supplier around the world, so that will be around easter maybe, plenty of reviews out by than, I can see I will have to sell some model trains to pay for it :C. Roy that will go very well with your 300 f2.8 I can hear the money jiggling in your pocket :-O

Yep, could be yet another drain on us poor OAP's resources Terry :-O

Not sure this could be classed as an upgrade to the 50D though unless that is the end of the xxD range - I would have thought they could have lived side by side for a while yet.

From the website it sounds like it will be possible to video using the 7D. Have I read this right?

You have. I think this was the only thing that one could be certain about before the announcement. I know very little about video, but several people are saying it looks quite good - something about 24p whatever that is. Apparently Hitler is quite keen on it?

Last edited:
You have. I think this was the only thing that one could be certain about before the announcement. I know very little about video, but several people are saying it looks quite good - something about 24p whatever that is?

Thanks. Have been interested in heading down those lines at some point - this might expedite things :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back