• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meade ETX-90 test shot (1 Viewer)

Meade ETX-90 and Panasonic FH1 (FS10) test

This is a very short clip taken through the rear port of my Meade ETX-90 using a Baader 17mm eyepiece and a small Panasonic FH1 (FS10) camera. Just testing the potential of this relatively inexpensive scope for videoscoping. I wasn't really expecting too much as this eyepiece with this scope yields around 72X to start with and I was using around 2x zoom on the camera. I was quite surprised to find that it resolved the feather detail on these Rock Doves quite well even at 100 feet and the video looked pretty good for a $120 camera. Encouraging enough to do some additional testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQR9qA2otY

Rick

Hi Rick,

You explain that you had changed (corrected) image orientation (on the youtube link). I did not understand this. I this configuration image should already be normal (not upside down). I wonder if you attach the camera without eyepiece or not converted the image? On the other hand the video sharpness is really very good.

Murat

Hi Rick,

You explain that you had changed (corrected) image orientation (on the youtube link). I did not understand this. I this configuration image should already be normal (not upside down). I wonder if you attach the camera without eyepiece or not converted the image? On the other hand the video sharpness is really very good.

Murat

Murat. This is using an eyepiece straight through the rear port on the reflector telescope with no erecting diagonal or prism. On all my reflectors (and refractors for that matter) when I do not use an erecting diagonal (mirror or prism) the image through the eyepiece is upside down. This is afocal with a small point and shoot camera with a lens through the telescope eyepiece. In order for the image to be correct using an eyepiece, I would have to have the eyepiece in the port on top of the scope where (in the case of the Meade ETX-90) there is a built in mirror diagonal which will erect the image. Hope this makes sense.

Rick I agree with you, your video looks very good using the ETX-90. I have the same scope.

BTW I love it when our military jets fly over close to our place.

Last edited:
Murat. This is using an eyepiece straight through the rear port on the reflector telescope with no erecting diagonal or prism. On all my reflectors (and refractors for that matter) when I do not use an erecting diagonal (mirror or prism) the image through the eyepiece is upside down. This is afocal with a small point and shoot camera with a lens through the telescope eyepiece. In order for the image to be correct using an eyepiece, I would have to have the eyepiece in the port on top of the scope where (in the case of the Meade ETX-90) there is a built in mirror diagonal which will erect the image. Hope this makes sense.

OK Rick. Now it makes sense. Thank you for your explanations.

Murat Ozcelik
http://vimeo.com/channels/murat

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back