• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meadow pipit / Tree pipit - Landschap De Liereman, Belgium, 2 September 2017 (1 Viewer)

AntonBE

I saw this pipit while birding in Landschap De Liereman, in the province of Antwerp, Belgium. It looks to me like either meadow or tree pipit, but the main difference between those is sound but the bird didn't stay long enough to call. Does this picture show enough of a difference to identify between the two species?

Attachments

• pipit1.png
    pipit1.png
    284.5 KB · Views: 118
Seems to have a deep-based bill with less heavy streaking on the flanks compared to the breast, both of which point to Tree, though with images of this quality it's always going to be tough. It doesn't hurt that it's perched in a tree though...;)

Thank you! I was able to get the picture in a bit better quality by cropping directly in photoshop and sharpening it a tiny bit. Perhaps this could help make a more final decision?

Attachments

• pipit.jpg
    pipit.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 81
Thank you! I was able to get the picture in a bit better quality by cropping directly in photoshop and sharpening it a tiny bit. Perhaps this could help make a more final decision?

Sorry but can't be 100% certain from this image, but a high likelihood of Tree is the best I can say.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back