• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

Well Choughed Today!

We were at Derrybeg on domestic business and noticed a flock of 22 Chough at Magheragallon. The trusty Nikon was on the back seat so grabbed a few photos from the car.

Went on to Magheraroarty looking for Lapland Bunting. Saw RB Merganser, Eider, White Wagtail, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Gt Black Backed Gull, Meadow Pipit. Too windy.

Travelled on to New Lake, Dunfanaghy. Mute Swan in large numbers (50+) Wigeon, Mallard, Teal, but much too windy to see though a scope. Looked in at Inch Lake on the road home. Low water with not much of interest yet. No Whooper or Brent yet.

Richard.

Attachments

• Chough1.jpg
    Chough1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Chough2.jpg
    Chough2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 63
  • Chough4.jpg
    Chough4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Chough5.jpg
    Chough5.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 74
Inch Lake

Plenty of Whoopers at Inch, mostly in the fields around Burt. Hope to get out again at the weekend.

Richard

Mountcharles & St John's Point

Had a good day birding at Mountcharles & St John's Point today. Very cold but still conditions.

The highlights were:
Yellow Legged Gull (at Mountcharles)
Great Northern Divers
Red Throated Diver
Kestrel
Stonechat
Great Crested Grebe
Little Grebe
Red Breasted Merganser
Brent Goose
Black Guillemot

Grounded This Weekend

I did not manage to get out to Inch this weekend. with a layer of ice covering my park and the prospect of Inch Lake being frozen solid again I'm afraid I did not venture forth. I really must get out and get some last minute photos for the NIOC bird photography competition. Not a chance this year!!!

Driving home from the cinema lastnight shortly after 1am when i saw a white ghost hovering just beyond a hedgerow not 5mins from home..Only my second sighting of a barnowl..!!Quite rare in these parts..!!

Tramore/Sheskinmore
Just a brief visit over the holiday.
Couple of groups of Greenland white-fronted geese. First of about 12/14 grazing near the lake and a second in flight heading towards the lake of 35+
No Brent on the estuary that I could see during a couple of walks which is surprising as there has been in the past at this time. However there were 5 Brent on the main beach at tramore. Apart from this the usual. A few meadow pipits starting to gather and the sound of larks in the air. Oystercatchers and sanderling at the waterline with usual array of gulls. Did disturb whooper swans on a couple of occasions on the small ponds in the dunes (pairs) and there were 12 on Kiltooris. No sign of ringed plover on the beach. Hopefully back soon for an update.

white stork

Got a bit of a suprise yesterday morning while visiting my parents house around 10am..I seen a large bird swooping over the playing fields of Bridgend national school..It looked like a huge gull. untill i seen the long neck..To cut a long story short,i ran for the binoculers that are always in my vechile..!! On arrival at the school i found the bird perching on a lampost preening itself..It flew dowm into a garden where i got some photos.

I contacted the wildlife officer' and we both agreed that it moust have been blown off course with the easterly winds..Then we noticed the bird had a ring on it..Not the usual BTO ring..We then concluded it was a possible esapee from a collection..A few phone calls and we found out that it had been seen in gweedore Co Donegal and in castlerock in NI recently..I will try and post some photos with this.!!

Derrybeg Summer

Just back from a week in Derrybeg. Birdlife surprisingly sparse.
Common Sandpiper
Lapwing
Wheatear
Bullfinch at Ards Forest Park
Cough
Sandwich Tern
Curlew
Rock Bunting

Hoping for better next month.

Richard

Correction

Sorry Dermot,

Lapse of thought. It was a Rock Pipit not a Rock Bunting! (I did photograph Rock Bunting in Extremadura in April. Must have been thinking of that holiday when I added 46 lifers.

Cheers,

Richard

Quick visit to family last weekend and a walk across from little bay at Carrackfinn resulted in hearing corncrake there for the first time in many years. At least three calling on Saturday evening. visiting fisherman reporting seeing one in open near the flat rocks.

Great to hear and record them, pity I didn't see them!!

Last edited:
Tory Island 2nd August

I took a day trip to Tory yesterday.

Fairy quiet. 42 species in total.No migrants of note. 3 Sedge Warblers in the reed beds either side of West and East Towns are probably breeding there. Also a Tufted Duck with 2 chicks on the lake near the Lighthouse. Lots of juvenile Wheatears around. Highlights were few and far between with a Corncrake sunning itself on a wall in West Town and a Barnacle Goose on the lake.

I got talking to Anton Meehan who said the goose has been there all winter and has an injured wing. He also had a Waxwing, for a day last november, feeding in his garden on a small contoneaster bush in. It left when it had eated what few berries where available. Also interesting- he said a Buzzard wintered on the island. His neighbour up at the east end had a female corncrake with 8 small chicks at his front door on monday.

Boat trip

Fulmar 7
Manx Shearwater 41
Gannet 50
Shag 8
Turnstone 1
Kittiwake 7
'Commic Tern' 31
Puffin 9
Black Guillemot 2
Guillemot 1
Razorbill 2

Tory Island

Grey Heron 2
Mute Swan 2
Barnacle Goose 1
Mallard 15
Tufted Duck 3
Corncrake 1
Oystercatcher 50
Ringed Plover 50
Lapwing 1
Dunlin 1
Redshank 1
Curlew 2
Snipe 1
Common Gull 2
Herring Gull 70
Lesser black backed Gull 7
Great black backed Gull 10
Rock/Feral Pigeon 10
Swallow 80
Meadow Pipit 10
Rock Pipit 40
Pied Wagtail 5
Wren 8
Wheatear 50
Sedge Warbler 3
Chough 4
Hooded Crow 3
Starling 240
Tree Sparrow 30
Reed Bunting 1

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 59
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Very quiet today just 38 species. 2 Storm Petrels and a Great Skua were about the best. Antos brother had a large bird of prey briefly during the week being mobbed by gulls he thought might be an eagle sp. Lots more Sedge Warblers in the various reed beds.

Boat trip

Fulmar 4
Manx Shearwater 4
Gannet 25
Shag 20
Cormorant 1
Kittiwake 8
Common Tern 2
Black Guillemot 1

Tory Island

Grey Heron 2
Mute Swan 2
Barnacle Goose 1
Mallard 18
Moorhen 1
Oystercatcher 70
Ringed Plover 20
Lapwing 18
Dunlin 3
Redshank 3
Curlew 1
Snipe 3
Common Gull 2
Herring Gull 60
Lesser black backed Gull 2
Rock/Feral Pigeon 2
Swallow 40
Meadow Pipit 10
Rock Pipit 30
Pied Wagtail 1
Wren 16
Wheatear 30
Sedge Warbler 8
Chough 2
Raven 1
Starling 50
Tree Sparrow 8
Reed Bunting 1

Attachments

• tory 9th august 2011 003.jpg
    tory 9th august 2011 003.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 58
  • tory 9th august 2011 008.jpg
    tory 9th august 2011 008.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 52
  • tory 9th august 2011 010.JPG
    tory 9th august 2011 010.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
55 Species.The boat had been canceled for the last 3 days after the big storm. Big waves on the way over, the highlights a Leach's Petrel just 30 feet from the boat at eye level for about a minute. On Tory all the birds were in the west near the lake 30 Lapland Bunting 5 American Waders and a confiding Grey Phalarope were the highlights The best day so far.

Boat trip

Leach's Pertel 1
Storm Petrel 8
Fulmar 50 (1 Blue Fulmar)
Manx Shearwater 8
Sooty Shearwater 1
Gannet 300 (mainly juvs)
Shag 20
Kittiwake 55
Common Tern 2
Arctic Tern 30
Sandwich Tern 1
Arctic Skua 1
Great Skua 35
Black Guillemot 2
Puffin 1

Tory Island

Grey Heron 2
Mute Swan 2
Barnacle Goose 1
Mallard 30
Teal 2
Oystercatcher 20
Ringed Plover 30
Lapwing 40
Dunlin 15
Redshank 5
Curlew 2
Snipe 11
Ruff 2
Curlew Sandpiper 2
Black-tailed Godwit 1
Pectoral Sandpiper 1
Buff breasted Sandpiper 4
Grey Phalarope 1
Kestrel 1
Common Gull 1
Herring Gull 70
Lesser black backed Gull 1
Rock/Feral Pigeon 8
Swallow 6
Meadow Pipit 40
Rock Pipit 30
Pied Wagtail 6
White Wagtail 25
Wren 12
Wheatear 25
Sedge Warbler 1
Chough 3
Raven 4
Starling 200
Tree Sparrow 6
Linnet 3
Goldfinch 1
Lapland Bunting 30

I also had an Osprey on the way up near Sion Mills County Tyrone

Attachments

• tory14aug2011 016.jpg
    tory14aug2011 016.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 76
  • tory14aug2011 005.jpg
    tory14aug2011 005.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Tory Island 27th September 2011

No boat at Bunbeg this morning. I travelled to Magheroarty-no boat there either! I rang the skipper and he told me that because of a low tide there would be no boat untill 10.30 am and it would be returning at 3.00pm, giving me just a little over 3 hours birding on the island. I spent a productive hour near the pier with a Tree Pipit the best along with a Whimbrel, 4 White Wagtails and 4 Black-tailed Godwits.

The trip over took an hour because of the wind and a juv Black Tern made up for the lack of quantity of birds. The island was very quiet with just a single Chiffchaff up east. 9 Lapland bunting washing in a puddle outside the cafe gave great views.

No sign of the 2 Common Rosefinch reported during the previous week and Anton Meenans brother was telling me about the Wood Warbler that was feeding in his potato patch with the sparrows for a few days. He has since cleared the patch so his garden was quiet.

The King of Tory reported a "Yellow-browed Warbler from Russia seen by some birdwatcher over the weekend"
I recieved plenty of twitter texts during the day about Barred Warbler in Galway, Ortolan Bunting in Clare and Rough-legged Buzzard in Mayo. It was obvious the birds were 'falling, out west'.

The boat trip back was quiet but a Grey Phalarope on the water just of the boat was a nice surprise. The gardens at Bloody Foreland were quiet.

All in all a good day.

Boat trip

Gannet 40
Shag 300
Grey Phalarope 1
Kittiwake 4
Black Tern 1
Puffin 2

Tory Island

Mute Swan 2
Barnacle Goose 1
Mallard 30
Oystercatcher 20
Ringed Plover 8
Lapwing 20
Dunlin 1
Redshank 4
Curlew 1
Snipe 8
Turnstone 12
Kestrel 1
Herring Gull 70
Lesser black backed Gull 1
Rock/Feral Pigeon 20
Meadow Pipit 50
Rock Pipit 30
Pied Wagtail 4
White Wagtail 2
Wren 4
Wheatear 4
Chiffchaff 1
Chough 3
Hooded Crow 5
Starling 200
Tree Sparrow 4
Reed Bunting 1
Lapland Bunting 9

Attachments

• Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 002.jpg
    Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 002.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 001.jpg
    Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 001.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 008.jpg
    Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 008.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 010.jpg
    Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 010.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 004.JPG
    Tacumshin 23rd aug 2011 004.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Tory 25th October

A great day today. 51 species.Highlights on the boat was a flock of Barnacle Geese flying in off the sea and 4 Pomarine Skuas harassing the local Kittiwakes near the island.Plenty of grounded migrants 450 thrushes and over 60 warblers including 4 Yellow browed Warblers and a Willow Warbler (looked a bit eastern ;) Blackcap were everywhere up to a dozen in one bush and a Black Redstart in west town was nice. An American Golden Plover at the lake was a tick!

Anton Meenan had up to 5 Snow Bunting last week and an owl (probably Short eared Owl at the east end. The buzzard has been seen regularly.

Boat trip

Gannet 12
Shag 170
Cormorant 3
Pomarine Skua 4
Kittiwake 70
Arctic Tern 1
Razorbill 3
Black Guillemot 4
Guillemot 5
Barnacle Goose 18
Great Northern Diver 10
Herring Gull 5

Tory Island

Mute Swan 2
Barnacle Goose 1
Mallard 60
Teal 2
Shoveler 1
Tufted Duck 3
Oystercatcher 50
Ringed Plover 15
American Golden Plover 1
Lapwing 40
Dunlin 5
Redshank 15
Curlew 7
Snipe 8
Turnstone 110
Purple Sandpiper 2
Kestrel 1
Buzzard 1
Herring Gull 110
Great black backed Gull 5
Rock/Feral Pigeon 40
Meadow Pipit 20
Rock Pipit 30
Pied Wagtail 5
Wren 14
Wheatear 3
Black Redstart 1
Chiffchaff 10
Willow Warbler 1
Blackcap 46
Yellow browed Warbler 4
Song Thrush 15
Blackbird 20
Fieldfare 75
Redwing 350
Chough 3
Hooded Crow 5
Raven 3
Starling 200
Tree Sparrow 14

Attachments

• tory 24th october 2011 020.jpg
    tory 24th october 2011 020.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 64
  • tory 24th october 2011 021.jpg
    tory 24th october 2011 021.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 73
  • tory 24th october 2011 004.jpg
    tory 24th october 2011 004.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 51
  • tory 24th october 2011 029.JPG
    tory 24th october 2011 029.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 56
  • tory 24th october 2011 025.jpg
    tory 24th october 2011 025.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Just back from a nice walk round Inisowen Head,saw Ravens, Buzzards, a Reed Bunting, Perregine Falcon, Rock and Meadow Pipits,Fulmars, Great Black-Backed Gull, Gannets,and Snow Buntings.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back