• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (2 Viewers)

Hi Pete
Ah... Although I am new to birding and especially bird photography I reckon most pics need all 3, light, tameness (inquisitive), luck!!

Still a great shot!!

I was out at 3 shire heads today, came from the Knar (Cut thorn hill side) to watch a pair of Kestrels that never let me down when I visit them. However this time their were 3, Possible Juvenile, one was hunting on one side of the valley, while the other 2 were playing catch me if you can on the otherside of the valley.
Didnt get anywhere near enough in the wind, cloud and drizzle to get pics but fun to watch in the cold!!

Did see 6 birds fly from a tree and into some long grass in the middle of a meadow, caught a glimpse of one and it was slate grey (pigeon coloured) but had the look of a pipit (quite upright in the neck and head), didnt get a pic but now back at home confussed as what it could have been, may go back tomorrow to find out, hope for some sun.

Regards

Dave

Out again today very windy not many birds about same walk as last time quite a few redwings and fieldfares ,2 bullfinchs 12 redgrouse and another catchup with the small redpoll flock managed a couple of ropey snaps before they were fightened off

Attachments

• single redpoll.jpg
    single redpoll.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 60
  • redpolls.jpg
    redpolls.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 57
Went off patch today to old moor rspb good day , plentey of birds teal widgeon, shovllers,gooseanders , sparrowhawk ,greenwoodpecker ,kingfisher ,bullfinchs,and a few others then on to broomhill flash where we saw a greensandpiper goldcreast from old moor

Attachments

• goldy 2.jpg
    goldy 2.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 47
Back on patch today same walk as the last 2 but quite a bit in the slushy snow after yesterdays rain only birds of note around coombs were 2 male bullfinches and about 200 canada geese the geese were of note because they dont normally get that many its normally about 50 or so ,saw 3 ravens on leaving coombs village and a nuthatch nothing over the hill apart from a kestral , in the woods just before the dam of errwood there was a copuple of goldcreasts and 2 treecreepers ,a greywagtail on the damwall and higher upthe valley a greater spotted woodpecker Got a bit of a shock to see a big bird flying low over the moors that scared 3 red grouse closer inspection reveled it to be a grey heron snap of a snowy errwood

Attachments

• errwood 3.jpg
    errwood 3.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 52
Out again today afer a long lay off last walk was xmas day nothing much to report from that walk ,today was better ,coombs res was iced over exept for a couple of patches managed a kingfisher at the top end and a first for me at coombs a dipper common in the goyt but this was a suprise here 2 bullfinches and a goldcreast on the trees at the point just before the road runs out nothing of interest on the moor section A small flock of redwing just below errwood dam a greater creasted grebe on the res and a short eared owl in the distance quite a few red grouse on the decent to burbage and a little grebe in the gardens lake in buxton o:D

Attachments

• g c greabe.jpg
    g c greabe.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 53
Peter, had a walk round Erwood area today, saw nothing small at all, but there were 2 cormorant, 2 heron and 3 canada on the edge or near on the headland bit between the inlets south end opposite thw dam, left of the river. Not major obvously, but we've never seen heron there before, few gulls, and a crow. Pretty grey day though.

Mike

was my day for a long walk again today started at combs. again lots of mallards but this time a wigeon was amongst them. The road out of Combs had 3 Nuthatches feeding in the trees to the left. There was a mistle thrush amongst the sheep. 2 bullfinches at the top end of the res and 4 where the road becomes a path. A stonechat at withen leach and a couple of kestrels and 2 ravens just before whitehall. a flock of fieldfares as the path dropped on to long hill. decided to walk long hill side of errwood today. glad i did, lots of coal tits blue tits and chaffys on the feeders near the top end then as notatwitcher said 2 herons and 2 cormorants. 1 of the cormorants had a white head, as if it were wearing a bonnet and had a white patch on its flank, it also had a black tuft on its crown. Could this be breeding plumage? or possibly a continental bird? The usual red grouse at various places on the moor and dropping into Burbage. Tufted ducks, coots, moorhen and a little grebe on the Gardens lake. CB and Mandarin on Serpentine.o:)

That's interesting , good picture. From a combination of Collins and the BWPi it looks like an early breeding, season race: silensis (apparently from a google, possible originally from RSPB, an east european migrant). Going on the amount of white on head indicating older male, silensis, while the white thighpatch is apparenty breeding plumage, often lost by early June. I'm not be the best birder but not bad on the computer!

Cheers, Mike

That's interesting , good picture. From a combination of Collins and the BWPi it looks like an early breeding, season race: silensis (apparently from a google, possible originally from RSPB, an east european migrant). Going on the amount of white on head indicating older male, silensis, while the white thighpatch is apparenty breeding plumage, often lost by early June. I'm not be the best birder but not bad on the computer!

Cheers, Mike

looks like an old carbo cormorant uk breeder. see http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=69216&d=1168891803

Oh all right , not found/seen that differentiation. While the angle looks a marginally greater than the carbo diagram, its certainly not obtuse. Maybe I'm not that good on the computer either! ;-

Mike

Oh all right , not found/seen that differentiation. While the angle looks a marginally greater than the carbo diagram, its certainly not obtuse. Maybe I'm not that good on the computer either! ;-

Mike

all races of species are a nightmare, always subtle. maybe stick it on id forum see what the experts think?

For a change went around Macc .Forest today. From the heronry viewing layby on the Trentabank Res. we had 1 Little grebe, 1 Goldeneye and . . 8+ Goosander at least 6 drake and 2 females bit distant beyond the heronry and then swam into arm behind.

Chuffed ,went to the Leather's for lunch and then round the Ridgegate, - Little G. again Coot etc., Tufted and few Pochard, 1 Heron. Saw the Goosander again on way back over.

Something else again not seen there . . .

Mike

went out walking again today the coombs then valley via burbage to buxton ,grim sort of day still plenty of snow on the tops ,coombs was frozen apart from 2 small patches nothing much on there but i did see a snipe on the bank feeding in the mud then 1 goosander in flight even the black headed gulls were in short supply Then walked over the tops in the rain visablty was down to 50yrds so nothing seen till i reached errwoodanther goosander in flight ,then a group of 5 at the top end of the res 4 flyover ravens and about 25 red grouse were all i saw till i reached buxton outskirts then picked up some of the common birds in the town and gardens nice to see the little grebe on the gardens lake ,a long day with rain and a bit of snow on the tops :smoke:

Attachments

• goosander.jpg
    goosander.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 70
  • snow day.jpg
    snow day.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 66
Out again yesterday after quite a long break, weather slightly milder but wet and foggy. Same walk as the previous couple, managed to pick out a common gull at Combs amongst the black headeds, also 4 greater crested grebes. Nice to see the return of 3 or 4 lapwings to the boggy reedy fields surrounding the reservoir. Apart from mallards there was nothing else. A couple of bullfinches on the trees climbing out of Combs vilage. From then on the fog got progressively worse and visibility was down to 50 or 60 yards so not much to see. Just before reaching Errwood Dam I heard the distant call of a curlew and later on saw it fly over. The first I've seen in the valley this year. A good sign of the coming Spring. On the Dam wall a grey wagtail was singing as though Spring had sprung! But the weather had other ideas. The restof the walk was completed in heavy, horizontal drizzle and apart from a couple of red grouse there was nothing much of note. The odd sighting of the walk was 2 and a half frogs. One seen hopping across the road, one sat still in the middle of the road and the half was just some back legs on a path, maybe, possibly, I had disturbed somethings dinnertime.

Attachments

• frog.jpg
    frog.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 58
Just a short walk today down the goyt through whaley bridge park spotted 2 greywagtails then on to todbrook res nothing much about a few black headed gulls and a greater creasted greabe then a flock of common gulls landed about 20 plus after the res went towards taxel and saw around 50 redwings on a path from macclesfield rd to taxel then i went down by the church on to long hill and back to whaley nothing much about rollon the warmer wheather ,the best looking bird of the day was seen on my feeders just afer i arrived home this siskin

Attachments

• siskin.jpg
    siskin.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 63
Soon be time for some good stuff up there Peter..Pied Fly,Wood Warbler,Redstart,Tree Pipit etc. Looking forward to a visit April/May.

clive early may seems the best time any earlyer and the birds might not be there <cold winter > any later and there is more leaf cover making it harder best of luck :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back