• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genisis HD 8x33 (1 Viewer)

gulf1263

Hello all:
Picked up a pair of the Kowa Genisis HD 8x33 binoculars.
They seem to be pretty good glasses, a little bit better optically than my Swarovski 8x30 SLC neu's, heavier though by two+ ounces and the focus wheel feels flimsy.
Have not had a chance to compare them to my Swarovski 8x32 EL's.
I am going to try and compare them to some Zeiss 8x32's.
I no longer have my USAF Test Chart and my Macbeth Color Checker so can not do a formal test.
Sort of went crazy buying optics after I retired.
Any comparisons with the Zeiss 8x32's would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Art

Look at the huge buzz over the new Swarovski CL 8x30. OK, the CL wins the Name Game. But, you'd have to think twice to buy the CL, which is to my mind only a tiny bit cuter, when you can get one of these, ED lensed and wide fielded, for a couple hundred more. So, get at it Art, can't wait!
Ron

Kowa Genisis 8x33

Hi Rohn:
Went crazy buying bino's.
The Kowa's are nice but the focus wheel feels chintzy and they are fairly large and a touch heavy.
The view is very close to a Leica, slightly blue-cold if you know what I mean.
I happen to like that view.
Don't have problems with CA so far.
The new Swaro 8x30 CL's appear to be lighter and smaller from the descriptions folks have given.
The 8x32 EL's may be sold or traded!
It is hard sell off any glass's, they are all so neat and so much fun to use.
Thanks
Art

Hi Rohn:
Went crazy buying bino's.
The Kowa's are nice but the focus wheel feels chintzy and they are fairly large and a touch heavy.
The view is very close to a Leica, slightly blue-cold if you know what I mean.
I happen to like that view.
Don't have problems with CA so far.
The new Swaro 8x30 CL's appear to be lighter and smaller from the descriptions folks have given.
The 8x32 EL's may be sold or traded!
It is hard sell off any glass's, they are all so neat and so much fun to use.
Thanks
Art

Hi from Italy
I have compared, few weeks ago, with the B-Team (binomania team :-O) the new Swarovski CL and the Kowa Genesis, . You find something here http://blognew.aruba.it/blog.binoma...m_di_binomania_all_Alpe_Quaggione_53347.shtml

The Kowa Genesis is an excellent optics, it is more contrasted and sharpness respect the Swarovski CL. The kowa has no chromatic aberration at the center of the field! And it's the only one! The focus knob of kowa is more precise. If you seek performance, you must choose Kowa. However, if you prefer the lightness, you must buy the Swarovski CL. The only Cons about the Kowa, are: the price, the weight, and the design of the eyepieces that colud give some problems with people taht have a big nose and a small pupillary distance.Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Last edited:
Hi Pier, You make me hungry with your link.;) On your top photo, big tripod, I see you have a nice finder on top that big binocular.:t: I will have to try this Kowa if I ever get back down to the Lost Creek Shoe Shop.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=246656&d=1267975033

Yes, the purpose of that day was to try the Docter 10x25 vs the Leica 10x25 HD Leica. Anyway if you are more esigent about the correction of the chromatic aberration (at the center of the field) I think that you might like the Kowa. Too bad for the weight that is superior than the competition. You can read my review here http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/kowa_genesis_10x33/kowa_genesis_10x33.php
I also really liked the Leica 8x32 hd
http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/leica8x32hd/leicahd8x32.php
I hope that google translate works quite well :)
Best Regards
Pier

Last edited:
Hi from Italy
I have compared, few weeks ago, with the B-Team (binomania team :-O) the new Swarovski CL and the Kowa Genesis, . You find something here http://blognew.aruba.it/blog.binoma...m_di_binomania_all_Alpe_Quaggione_53347.shtml

The Kowa Genesis is an excellent optics, it is more contrasted and sharpness respect the Swarovski CL. The kowa has no chromatic aberration at the center of the field! And it's the only one! The focus knob of kowa is more precise. If you seek performance, you must choose Kowa. However, if you prefer the lightness, you must buy the Swarovski CL. The only Cons about the Kowa, are: the price, the weight, and the design of the eyepieces that colud give some problems with people taht have a big nose and a small pupillary distance.Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Piergiovanni:
I do like to see your reviews and I am glad you posted. I am wondering if
someone could help with a translate for the link in English.
Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Piergiovanni:
I do like to see your reviews and I am glad you posted. I am wondering if
someone could help with a translate for the link in English.
Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Hi Jerry. Yes, you will find this and other reviews in a binomania pdf magazine (this is an experiment to see the appreciation of the readers) Me and my friends are working to the italian version in these weeks, than Prof. Marco Cioccia (University of Kentuchy) a member of CloudyNights, help us in the translation.
Piergiovanni

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back