• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for Pentax PF-65EDA II? (1 Viewer)

JLPritchard

I am getting a Pentax spotting scope and I am clueless as to what tripod to get. I would appreciate some suggestions. I would use this scope primarily for vacations & home birding - no backpacking hikes or moving car use.

My desired parameters: can be used as tabletop size tripod with possibly some ability to extend up to 3 feet or so; quick release plate; lightweight; well under $200. I love carbon fiber but that often bumps the price too high.

The only tripods I have seen as possibilities are an Alpen tripod and a discontinued Rocketfish carbon fiber though I don't beelieve either has the quick release plate which I prefer.

Suggestions appreciated.

LJ - If your preferred tripod has no QR plate, do yourself a favor and check out the Stroboframe QRC-300 quick release receiver and plate set. The receiver attaches to a standard 1/4-20 tripod screw and makes any tripod quick release. So long as its capacity (6.5 lb) is not exceeded, it is by far the most convenient QR system I have seen. The scope (or camera) just "clicks" into secure locked position and can be attached by "feel" without even looking at the tripod head. (You might be keeping your eyes on a bird.) The receiver and plate go for about $65 (US) at stores, but are often available on Ebay for half that with used ones even less. Be sure that both the receiver AND plate are included, though. I have the Pentax PF 65a, 80a, and 100 and keep Stroboframe plates on all three.

So far as tripods, unless you do all your birding seated, you might consider a tripod that extends tall enough to be used while standing. A "crank up" central column is also a very desirable feature for easy viewing of birds at different heights. It also allows other folks to use the scope comfortably, even though that is less essential with the angled scope. I do a lot of viewing where it is very windy, so my tripod choices are so contrarian that I will leave those recommendations to others. Hope this helps. -Bill

JL,

I read your post earlier today but didn't respond simply because I have no experience with tripods that fit your parameters. What you described is something like a Bushnell "Field model" tripod. It is designed to primarily be used in situation where the user is seated either on the ground or on a small stool. I am not sure if it has a quick-detach plate though.

All of my tripod experience comes from models that would be utilized while the individual is standing.

Yes, I envision most of my usage seated, but the quick release plate is a high priority. I suppose I could achieve my goals by a lightweight photo tripod and simply keep the legs at minimum level, allowing me more height on the rare occasions I might need it.

Bill, I will look into your suggestion. I have never heard of the Stroboframe before. Thanks.

Watch out. I just purchased both a Pentax PF80EDA and PF65EDA II and then found out the spring loaded locator pin on Manfrotto 128RC mounting plate heads won't fit the hole in the base of the Pentax spotting scopes.

The sping loaded locator pin on manfrotto base plates is 4.5mm

The hole for the pin in the bottom of Pentax spotting scopes is 4mm

If this pin does not engage then the scope will twist on the base and in the process loosen the screw that holes the scope to the base.

Apparentally there's no standard for the diameter of locator pins. You won't see the diameter listed in the specs on either the Pentax scopes or Manfrotto heads.

Slik base plates don't appear to even have locator pina and Gitzo base plate locator pins look like the same size as Manfrotto pins.

I have not seen complaints from people with Kowa, Zeiss, Nikon, etc about their scopes not working with Manfrotto base plates so I'm guessing that Pentax has decided for whatever reason to use a different size hole.

I did find a thread on another forum where some other people have had this same issue going back to at least 2006. No solutions on that thread other than drill out the hold in the bottom of the Pentax scope or just deal with the scope twisting on the base.

Strangely, I had an old cheap Tripod made in China that's about 10 years old and the pin on it fits the Pentax scope just fine.

Try this combo....

I have a Pentax 80mm scope mounted on a Manfrotto 128RC attached to a Davis & Sanford Magnum tripod. The legs on the tripod have two sections so set-up is very quick. It's rock solid. Check it out at the Audubon Shop in Madison, Connecticut http://www.theaudubonshop.com/

I have a Pentax 80mm scope mounted on a Manfrotto 128RC attached to a Davis & Sanford Magnum tripod. The legs on the tripod have two sections so set-up is very quick. It's rock solid. Check it out at the Audubon Shop in Madison, Connecticut http://www.theaudubonshop.com/

Manfrotto must have changed the size of the pin on the 128RC because I just bought this head and a Pentax PF80EDA a few weeks ago and the pin in the 128RC will not fit in the video pin hole on the PF80EDA. The pin on the 128RC is 4.5mm. The video pin hole in the scope is 4mm.

Pulled the pin....

I pulled the pin, mounted the scope on the quick-release plate, and never had a problem with the joint loosening or rotating - keep in mind that I often tote the scope-tripod setup over my shoulder - if that doesn't cause it to loosen, almost nothing will.

I pulled the pin, mounted the scope on the quick-release plate, and never had a problem with the joint loosening or rotating - keep in mind that I often tote the scope-tripod setup over my shoulder - if that doesn't cause it to loosen, almost nothing will.

Just solved my problem. I swapped the Manfrotto 128RC for a Manfrotto 701HDV.

The quick release plate on the Manfrotto 701HDV has both a 1/4 and 3/8 screw. The Pentax PF80EDA has both a 1/4 and 3/8 inch hole in the base so you can attach it to the 701HDV quick release plate with both the 1/4 and 3/8 screws. The scope can't twist with two screws in it.

The locator pin in the 701HDV is brass and spring loaded so you don't need to remove it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back