• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonflies and damselflies, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Lesser emperor reported from Lower Moor Farm in the Cotswold Water Park yesterday. Location given as Mallard Lake which is the large one at the southern end of the group of lakes there. No photos, but seen by the county recorder. Details on BDS sightings page.

Willow Emerald Damselflies out at Marshside, near Reculver (per Marc Heath on UKDragonflies). Also Southern Emerald Damselfly seen again at Cliffe yesterday (per UKDragonflies).

2 brilliant emeralds at Escher Common, on Wednesday; 2 at Thursley Moat, yesterday; and 1 on at Basingstoke Canal today. I completely failed to get a photo though!

I made a visit to Cliffe Marshes RSPB reserve today and thankfully found 1 male SOUTHERN EMERALD DAMSELFLY and c30 SCARCE EMERALD DAMSELFLY. A couple of shots below and more on my Blog: www.marcheath.blogspot.com

Marc

Attachments

• southern2.jpg
    southern2.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 93
  • southern1.jpg
    southern1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 78
Alan

I am currently using a Canon 50d with a Canon f4 300mm lens with a Canon ef25mm extension tube. Seems to work for me.

Marc

Soton Common Boating Lake

At least 9 Small Red-eyed Damselflies out on the rapidly increasing vegetation on the Boating Lake. Two RVDs were showing well on dried grass stems around the edge as I walked by camera-less.

Still three male Red-veined darters at lunchtime today (27/7) and Small Red-eyed now up to 30.

Paul

I can get down to just below 1metre with this set up. Close enough to get a nice image and far enough away not to scare the target away.

Marc

Great shots Marc, what lens are you using? - I think I need to get a good Macro for the damselflys.

cheers, alan

I have a Sigma 150 mm macro, it's worth considering although use it heavily when still in the exchange time of the warranty. I didn't and had to wait ages for them to fix a problem with it.

Great shots Marc, what lens are you using? - I think I need to get a good Macro for the damselflys.

cheers, alan

I get reasonable results with the 'Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro DG' on the 7D. £150 or less (I appreciate cost is not an issue!) and lightweight. Nearly everything on my blog for July is using that lens.

The pics on Paul Ritchie's blog are also mostly taken with that Sigma and much better than mine.

Alternatively, Paul Norris uses extension tubes with the 100-400mm and gets good snaps.

I get reasonable results with the 'Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro DG' on the 7D. £150 or less (I appreciate cost is not an issue!) and lightweight. Nearly everything on my blog for July is using that lens.

The pics on Paul Ritchie's blog are also mostly taken with that Sigma and much better than mine.

Alternatively, Paul Norris uses extension tubes with the 100-400mm and gets good snaps.

Paul

Thanks - I suspect my bank manager thinks cost is an issue! I've got a fairly sharp 100-400 for birds (& big insects!) so may give the extension tubes a go with that before I look at the 300mm or a Sigma. Does the auto-focus still work for him or is it only manual with the rings?

cheers, alan

I have a Sigma 150 mm macro, it's worth considering although use it heavily when still in the exchange time of the warranty. I didn't and had to wait ages for them to fix a problem with it.

Cheers Steve; its good to know what everyone is using. I've got a very old Sigma Macro which doesn't really cut the mustard for the damsels - at least when I'm using it!

cheers, alan

Paul

Does the auto-focus still work for him or is it only manual with the rings?

cheers, alan

Yes - the autofocus still works fine with the Canon extension tubes. Trouble with damsels is getting them separated from the background. Marc's willow emeralds would be easy for autofocus; I've struggled with autofocus with both the 300mm F4 and the 100mm macro with damsels against cluttered background.

I'm still getting the knack of the Sigma lens. This black darter was taken with it. I also use my 100 - 400 with a 20 mm extension tube; so that's well worth a try before you splash out Alan. Not sure my results have been as good as Marc's though.

Attachments

• black darterweb.jpg
    black darterweb.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 55
I think the Sigmas 70 - 300 APO is a superb bargain, but I've now sold mine as it was redundant once I got the 100 - 400 and a macro. The Tamron 90mm macro is good value, and superb optically, I used one for several years, but I decided I needed something with more reach as my stalking skills aren't that good!

I use the 100mm f2.8 canon macro (now mk ii prev mk i). Pretty much all the Odonata pics on my website (linked below) are taken with one or t'other. Second hand mark I are around 300 quid. Two have been advertised on BF for sale forum this past week. Recommended.
That said I am also considering buying a 25mm extension tube to couple with my 70-200 to bring min focusing distance down to 60cm and poss my 400 do to bring focus to 1.75 or so. Might be interesting!

A 2.5 hour visit this morning to Cliffe RSPB failed to find any Southern Emerald Damselflies at the usual site near the second mound. 25 Scarce Emeralds, many Common and Ruddy Darters, Blue Tailed Damselflies. 2 Migrant Hawkers, Four Spotted Chaser and Black Tailed Skimmer. It was very hot (about 32 degrees) and most species were hiding in the reeds by mid-day.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back