• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EOS 650 slr (1 Viewer)

C.J.

Lense question. Can anyone recommend a suitable lense for small and large birds and wildlife. I can't afford the megga bucks lenses which are in their thousands, but would like to get something that's going to get me there, I have tried the 75-300mm but its just not big enough, would something like the 400mm get the results I want? Newbie to all this, but I promise to take classes ;)

I already have a digital, but like to use this camera as well :gh:

hmmyou can go for the 400mm, but the price tag.....
I do use the 300/4L IS + EF1.4x converter, and find it ok.

I would realy not go and buy cheap lenses. Since i have the EF 300/4L IS, i dont think i wil go back to these "cheapies"....but if it gets stolen, hmmmmi dont know then!
Quality makes the difference, and 300 odd mm is good, you just have to have some patience with birds.

Sarel said:
hmmyou can go for the 400mm, but the price tag.....
I do use the 300/4L IS + EF1.4x converter, and find it ok.

I would realy not go and buy cheap lenses. Since i have the EF 300/4L IS, i dont think i wil go back to these "cheapies"....but if it gets stolen, hmmmmi dont know then!
Quality makes the difference, and 300 odd mm is good, you just have to have some patience with birds.

Thanks Sarel....I have been comparing the EF 400 f5.6 LUSM and the EF100-400mm L IS USM, but what you gain in versitility you seem to lose in quality....do you have any experience with these at all?

Hello C.J

No, i have not got any experience with the 400 lenses. Not at all.
I have got the 300/4L IS USM(did cost me 2nd hand 750 euro) and the EF 1.4x II converter(2nd hand 200 euro), and together it gives me a nice 420/5.6 lens.
I do use it on the EOS5, but i think later on this year I may go for the digital(the price realy goes of quickly!!) and then (with the 1.4x converter connected to the 300/4) i will have a 550/5.6 lens(if the camara has a 1.3x magnification) or a 670/5.6(if the camara has a 1.6x maginfication) and that ........wow, that is realy nice! and without any quality loss!

There really is little difference between the 400 f5.6 and the 100-400mm IS zoom optically, though it would appear that some people do have different views on this.
Tamron have just bought out a 200-500mm lens at about £750 and this is quite a stunning performer, it is not image stabilised but this should not be a problem if it is adequately supported.

nigelblake said:
Tamron have just bought out a 200-500mm lens at about £750 and this is quite a stunning performer, it is not image stabilised but this should not be a problem if it is adequately supported.

There's a test-report on this lens in this week's 'Amateur Photographer' magazine - I haven't read it all the way through, yet but from the graphs, it seems to confirm previous test which show it giving good results at full aperture and quality holding up right up to the 500mm end of the range. This is where other lenses seem to perform worst yet it's where bird-photographers need it most.

Thanks for the info.....I read hundreds of reviews, looked at loads of pictures and finally ordered the EF 400 which will be arriving tomorrow (before I read the details on the Tamron, but nevermind) I'll keep you all posted :) Thanks again.

btw....NigelBlake....I love the site.....the birds are beautiful

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back