• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird photography Derbyshire/Hope (1 Viewer)

Rene1958

Hi second week of April I will be staying in a cottage near Hope. Although a family holiday, I will also have some time for bird photography. Red grouse...but also some other species....are on my "hitlist"

Is there anyone who can come up with some good suggestions and places to photograph birds in that area? The car will be used as my mobile hide.

Many thanks.
Rene De Heer
website www.naturepics.co.uk
Facebook renenaturepics

Hi second week of April I will be staying in a cottage near Hope. Although a family holiday, I will also have some time for bird photography. Red grouse...but also some other species....are on my "hitlist"

Is there anyone who can come up with some good suggestions and places to photograph birds in that area? The car will be used as my mobile hide.

Many thanks.
Rene De Heer
Facebook renenaturepics

Axe Edge just outside of Buxton is quite good for Red Grouse and is also made for using your car as a hide with a road running across the moor, if you are lucky you may also see Short Eared Owl on the moor. Dane Bower Quarry is close by and good for Wheatear and Meadow Pipit and again Red Grouse.
The area along the River Wye is good for Dipper and Grey Wagtail plus has the bonus of holding Water Vole.

Tim.

Many thanks.
Rene De Heer
Facebook renenaturepics

Hi Rene, Hope is very close to The Upper Derwent Valley and I would certainly recommend a little research for a visit or two. It can get busy around the obvious areas / car parks but you can get away from that. There is a section in the Birdforum opus on the area and its star species (which would include Grouse and Goshawk).

As mention in previous post the area above buxton is good for red grouse this is on the buxton to macclesfield rd ,there is a pub on the moor the cat and fiddle If you are coming from hope to buxton it could be worth trying the goyt valley ,a bit early in the year but a 1 way road runs through the valley and brings you out at the cat and fiddle Another place that has quite a few grouse is the road from glossop to barnsley i think its the a628 the high point of this road is good for grouse and they quite often sit on the snow fences to the sides of the road

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back