• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loose screw inside a 8x42 HT? (1 Viewer)

fazalmajid

Supporter
United States
I grabbed my 8x42 Victory HT to observe a hummingbird and noticed a rattling sound. On further inspection, there is a loose screw in the left barrel, apparently one of the 4 that hold the third group of lenses from the objective (the second group that moves during focusing). It also looks like the screw scratched an internal lens in the process.

I will send it to Zeiss for servicing tomorrow, but that's rather unsettling in a very lightly used pair of binoculars just 2 years old, and not inexpensive ones at that.

Has anyone else encountered this before?

I grabbed my 8x42 Victory HT to observe a hummingbird and noticed a rattling sound. On further inspection, there is a loose screw in the left barrel, apparently one of the 4 that hold the third group of lenses from the objective (the second group that moves during focusing). It also looks like the screw scratched an internal lens in the process.

I will send it to Zeiss for servicing tomorrow, but that's rather unsettling in a very lightly used pair of binoculars just 2 years old, and not inexpensive ones at that.

Has anyone else encountered this before?

Not with a Zeiss. I've seen that though once in another make some 20 years ago. Seems to happen occasionally, but it's sure a very rare thing.

Hermann

Had exactly the same problem. Used the HTs for less than 2 weeks when I noticed a rattle from inside. Took the bins back to the shop who agreed to replace them with a new pair. About a year later I noticed some fogging on the glass inside the right barrel. The bins were returned to Zeiss Germany via their repairs unit in the UK. Fault was a loose screw which had allowed some grease to adhere to the glass. The repair service was excellent and I have nothing but praise for the speedy resolution of the problem especially as I had an imminent 2 month birding trip. However, problems with consecutive HTs has made me wary of buying Zeiss in the future.

Baz

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back