• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone know their hoverflies? (1 Viewer)

I only just noticed that you are a (comparative) newcomer, Ian, so welcome to Birdforum. It's certainly providing me with a lot of interest! (Unfortunately the home I'm moving to in a few weeks' time doesn't have cable so I'll miss the Broad-band connection!)

I've got the first edition of Stubbs and Falk with an update. I don't think I'll be investing in the second edition as hoverflies is not my main interest--I prefer birds, lepidoptera and odonata. However, I do find it interesting to see that my garden has quite a few different hoverflies. There's lots of little black ones that I haven't even tried to ID. For some reason many of them seem to like the sea holly. When it was overcast this morning the majority of the hoverflies (and many other insects) seemed to concentrate on one particular plant--although the buddliea and the marigolds have their fans, too. The butterflies seem to prefer the buddliea and some scabius I grew from seed--although they also like sunbathing on the railway sleepers around our veggie plot.

Last edited:
hoverlfy 10

Another one! Any ideas what it might be...? My best guess is Sphaerophoria scripta (or menthastri)!

Attachments

• hover10.jpg
    hover10.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
The Hoverfly on the sea Holly is a Syrphus sp. (possibly ribesii). 'Hoverfly 10' is almost certainly (a male) Sphaerophoria scripta - about the only Sphaerophoria that can confidently be identified without having to look at the genitalia (the other species have a shorter abdomen).

Have just been out and about near Ware, Hertfordshire and there are a lot of Volucella inanis and V. zonaria around at the moment. They are large wasp/hornet mimics respectively. V. zonaria is quite fond of buddleia and inanis could well be attracted to your scabious.

all the best

ian wynne

P.S.

It is quite possible that Epistrophe nitidicollis does occur in your garden. It was thought at one time to be associated with ancient woodland but has since been found at a wide variety of sites (including urban wasteland!). It occurs regularly, but not very frequently) in my garden (13 records in 10 years) but is for the most part a spring/early summer species.

ian wynne

Ian,
Stuart Ball identified this one as Epistrophe nitidicollis (in our garden).

Attachments

• epistrophe_nitidicollis2.jpg
    epistrophe_nitidicollis2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 100
Ah, well I would have to disagree with Stuart on that one. Epistrophe nitidicolis has entirely yellow femora and your specimen are clearly partly black. I would guess it was another syrphus (male).

Ian Wynne

Hey Surrey,
Just letting you know our Western Pondhawk's sci. name is: Erythemis collocata. Do you have that genus? -Steve B

Hi, Steve.
I don't think we have Erythemis in Europe. The nearest I can find is Crocothemis--represented by the rather gorgeous C erythraea or Scarlet dragonfly. I took a pic of one in Cyprus that doesn't do it justice (I was too far away).

Attachments

• scarlet_dragonfly.jpg
    scarlet_dragonfly.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 114
Colin J, Ian,
I've got so confused over all the different IDs I've been offered for the hoverfly photos that I've put them all on to a web page in the hope that there can be some discussion (and hopefully agreement) on which they are.
If anyone has the patience look HERE

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back