• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several good reasons to close zoos (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Some establishments do great work behind the scenes in species protection but some are totally unjustifiable. I don't know if this zoo runs any conservation projects or not but there seems to be a catalogue of errors here costing animals their lives and for what?

It isn't quite clear to me if all these incidents were at this one zoo?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38265025

A

Animal welfare? Living longer doesn't mean they're better off,

'Carnivores show enhanced survival in zoos in our study, but are more susceptible to behavioural abnormalities'

I have no problem with steps to improve the care of animal welfare in captivity, but getting rid of zoos is something I absolutely am against

For starters...that means shuttering a lot of captive breeding programs. Many species would have already gone extinct were it not for efforts from zoos.

Secondly, for most folks zoos are basically the only access they will ever have to many of the wild animals on display. Out of sight out of mind applies to the public, and in this way zoos are probably the most effective way of educating the public about environmental threats and actually putting "a name to a face", for why people should care.

I have no problem with steps to improve the care of animal welfare in captivity, but getting rid of zoos is something I absolutely am against

For starters...that means shuttering a lot of captive breeding programs. Many species would have already gone extinct were it not for efforts from zoos.

Secondly, for most folks zoos are basically the only access they will ever have to many of the wild animals on display. Out of sight out of mind applies to the public, and in this way zoos are probably the most effective way of educating the public about environmental threats and actually putting "a name to a face", for why people should care.

Regarding your last paragraph, recently I've visited Adelaide and Melbourne zoos; both were packed out with schoolchildren of all ages from dozens of urban schools involved in learning more about the natural world. With few exceptions, they were utterly absorbed, especially about the captive breeding programmes and the reasons they were needed. The plight of the Orange-bellied Parrot was one of the many themes very well publicised.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back