• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying a camera on a cycle (2 Viewers)

Kevin Groocock

Just wondering if anyone can make any suggestions for the safe carrying of an assembled Canon40D and 100-400 lens on a bicycle? I have a large pannier and have considered filling it with foam but if you know of anything better, I would love to hear :t:

Many thanks

My 40D with the 100-400 mounted on fits snugly in a Loewpro 200 microTrekker, which is quite comfortable on a bike.

thomas

In a proper rucksack on your back is the only way I can suggest. Attaching the camera holder directly to the bike is, I feel, a recipe for disaster

Thanks both :t: Now looking at backpacks - I have a Tamrac Expedition 7 but I feel this is too bulky for cycling :eek!:

Looking around, Warehouse Express have the Lowepro Flipside 200 at half price, so have ordered one :t:. The internal sizes seem just about right.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone can make any suggestions for the safe carrying of an assembled Canon40D and 100-400 lens on a bicycle? I have a large pannier and have considered filling it with foam but if you know of anything better, I would love to hear :t:

Many thanks

Trouble with rucksacks are the camera is not ready for action. I carry assembled lens and camera stuck in the lens case as a holster. If action is a real possibility I will have the hood on and cap off. I have put a spare wide strap on the case. This goes round my neck, behind one shoulder. The camera strap goes round my neck. That gives double security, but pretty much ready for action - lift the camera out of the holster, press the shutter button and it is ready.

Mike.

Trouble with rucksacks are the camera is not ready for action. I carry assembled lens and camera stuck in the lens case as a holster. If action is a real possibility I will have the hood on and cap off. I have put a spare wide strap on the case. This goes round my neck, behind one shoulder. The camera strap goes round my neck. That gives double security, but pretty much ready for action - lift the camera out of the holster, press the shutter button and it is ready.

Mike.

Cheers, Mike. Having the camera ready for action is an issue and your idea sounds good. I will give both a try.

Two suggestions. I use both for Canon EOS 7d +100-400mm and they work very well. I haven't used them yet on a bike (too cold here still) but will.

Cotton Carrier. I love,love,love this. Saves my wrists from pain.Very secure with the strap around the front. Camera available immediately for action.
http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/product_p/600ccv.htm

Think Tank Digital Holster30 with the harness. I keep my set up permenantly in this case with the harness attached. You wear the camera on your front ie a front pack not a back pack ! ( It comes with a rain shield which I took off to accomodate the camera). It also works fine with a 1.4x converter attached.
Camera available almost immediatley for action.
Hope this helps
Regs
robin

Two suggestions. I use both for Canon EOS 7d +100-400mm and they work very well. I haven't used them yet on a bike (too cold here still) but will.

Cotton Carrier. I love,love,love this. Saves my wrists from pain.Very secure with the strap around the front. Camera available immediately for action.
http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/product_p/600ccv.htm

Think Tank Digital Holster30 with the harness. I keep my set up permenantly in this case with the harness attached. You wear the camera on your front ie a front pack not a back pack ! ( It comes with a rain shield which I took off to accomodate the camera). It also works fine with a 1.4x converter attached.
Camera available almost immediatley for action.
Hope this helps
Regs
robin

Many thanks, Robin :t: Will have a look later as just off to work.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back