• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parkgate - Tides (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

Just would like some confirmation please. Are this weekend's high tides at Parkgate interesting? The tide table says 11.01 Saturday 9.8 mtrs. and 11.43 Sunday 9.9. But these are GMT times. Do I add or deduct an hour from these times.

Can someone come back to me this evening if possible please.

Thanks

Sandra

I'd get there two hours before, if there's a strong wind blowing in the right direction the tide will come in a lot quicker. Add an hour untill the end of October when the clocks go back.

You'll need to get there in good time as it can get busy - and as Jane says 2 hours before (at least) is worthwhile - there is always something going on out on the marsh.

It's a bit like sea-watching (actually it really is) - and the more hours you put in....

Another good source for tide information covering the whole country and much more places is www.bbc.co.uk/weather and select coast and sea which then gives access to the tide tables. For example in the north west it gives details for some 30 ports.

Robert

Thanks Rob & Robert & Keith. Will be going on Saturday. High tide about noon. Will give ourselves lots of time to arrive early. As you say, always lots to see. I like that walk out towards the sea. I'm looking forward to our son being with us and he hasn't experienced this before. Sounds as if he's just a tot doesn't it? But he's 34!!

Sandra

Pre tide walk

I often park up at Shelldrakes pub and walk along the marsh edge towards Parkgate. Allow around 2 hours so as you don't get caught out by the incoming tide. Standing around at Parkgate whilst wonderfully fraternal and social can be tad cold especially if the winds are blowing up the estuary. See you all there this w/e

rainbowpitta said:
I often park up at Shelldrakes pub and walk along the marsh edge towards Parkgate. Allow around 2 hours so as you don't get caught out by the incoming tide. Standing around at Parkgate whilst wonderfully fraternal and social can be tad cold especially if the winds are blowing up the estuary. See you all there this w/e

I'll be watching for those car stickers!

Parkgate

Hope to be there myself tomorrow.
The tide should be good, i.e. should cover the marsh - more or less. Not sure about Sunday as wind is supposed to be going round to the south.

If there is any doubt about tides covering the marsh at Parkgate I would always highly recommend going to the car park at Riverbank Road Heswall (NOT Banks Rd/Sheldrakes, although you can walk to Riverbank rd from there). The marsh always get covered first that end of the marsh, the birds are much closer and you are higher up above the marsh so views are better! If the tide starts roaring in it is only a 10 minute drive to Parkgate. People seem to have a fixation about Parkgate, a pity, because Heswall is often much better.
Not sure about getting to Parkgate two hour before high tide, unless a really big tide is expected. But would, to keep warm and to get closer to the incoming birds and tide, recommend a walk down along the edge of the golf course (i.e. away from Parkgate and towards Heswall).
Just to clarify the times and heights - the official Lavers times (in BST) and heights are Sat 1203hrs, 9.9m, Sun 1245hrs, 10.1m.

markgrubb said:

Unfortunately the really big tides are at night, on Sat and Sun night. Sat night could be interesting if wind stays in the west, but probably won't be any serious flooding unless we get a gale.
Look at http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/news0406.htm#rarity
to see news about our last big tide in March which was reckoned to be the highest tide for about 20 years. This was actual height rather than predicted - there can be a big difference!

Don't ignore the coast tomorrow either - there's a chance of Leach's and perhaps something better.

I'll be watching the sea tomorrow - but good luck to all you marsh watchers.

Judging by the noise the wind is making tonight I think the highest tide of the weekend is right now! Predicted to be a 10.2m.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back