• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 8x36~Minox BL 8x32? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Does one have a distict advantage over the other or are we even stevens?

On the lookout for a reliable compact roof with good field of view and close focus!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Ive had my Vortex vipers 8x42 for a few months now when i bought them i tried loads of mid priced bins including the models mentioned (better than both).
They are pretty compact for 42's and exceptionally bright, built well and at £260 a bargain i reckon.
Track some down and give them a try you will be amazed (I got mine on internet from Sherwoods) .

Cheers

Darryl

Hi Matt,

Ive had my Vortex vipers 8x42 for a few months now when i bought them i tried loads of mid priced bins including the models mentioned (better than both).
They are pretty compact for 42's and exceptionally bright, built well and at £260 a bargain i reckon.
Track some down and give them a try you will be amazed (I got mine on internet from Sherwoods) .

Cheers

Darryl

I would also add the opticron Verona Oasis 8 x 42 to your 'to try' list - exceptionally bright and close focus down to about 6feet (fairly lightweight as well).
Chris

Thanks for the comments Darrl and Chris

I'm also wondering if the Opticron Imagic BGA SE 8x32 would offer a significant optical advantage...admittedly it costs a few more £££'s

Matt

There's not much to choose between them optically, the best bet is to try them side by side and see which feel better in the hand. Also have a look at the Helios 8x32s, they are very similar to the Minox but are a bit cheaper.

Not sure how the prices are over there. It might be worth to look at a 8x32 Pentax. I do not have one myself yet, but may be my next new bin.

I like the Nikons OK at 42mm, not at 36mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back