• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tests of Leupold and Eagle Optics 8x30/32 (1 Viewer)

henry link

Two friends recently bought binoculars. One got a pair of Eagle Optics 8x32 Rangers for birding and butterfly watching and the other a pair of Leupold 8x30 Yosemites to keep in her van. I volunteered to check out their purchases. Here are the results of the tests I conducted.

Neither binocular had particularly impressive resolution in a boosted magnification test at 64x. The Leupold's resolution was 5.8 arcsec in the left barrel, 6.5 in the right. The Eagle Optics was 5.8 in the left barrel, 7.3 in the right. For comparison I've measured 4.6 arcsec for a Nikon 8x30 E II and 4.1 for a Nikon 8x32 SE in the same test set up.

Both the Yosemite and Ranger showed various defects in an artificial star test at 64x. The Yosemites had some astigmatism and miscollimation in both barrels. The Rangers were worse, with pinching and astigmatism and a seriously miscollimated left barrel. Many binoculars have defects like these which may not cause any visible problems at low magnification, however the problem in the left barrel of the Ranger was bad enough to cause the best sharpness to be skewed slightly to the left of center in the field and that resulted in particularly bad off axis performance in the right half of the field. The astigmatism in the right barrel of the Leupold was bad enough to slightly reduce detail in that side.

Longitudinal CA in both was OK, typical of binoculars with 30/32mm objectives, but both had worse than average lateral color. The Ranger was quite poor, probably the most lateral color I've seen in a binocular, and starting just a few degrees from the center.

Light transmission was good enough in the Ranger, perhaps around 80-85%, and was excellent in the Yosemite, well above 90% and comparable to the very brightest binoculars.

Neither binocular had a very large "sweet spot", by which I mean the central area of critical sharpness. That area in the Yosemite was only about 10-15 degrees wide with a gradual accumulation of astigmatism, lateral color and field curvature beyond that. However, the very center was impressively sharp (in the better barrel). The Ranger was much worse, with a tiny central spot (5-7 degrees) of passable sharpness surrounded by a rapidly deteriorating blur of astigmatism and lateral color (even in the better barrel). The tiny area of decent sharpness in the Ranger makes it a very poor choice for butterflies. Close focus of 3' makes it seem like a good candidate for butterflies, but the eyes are forced to toe in and look very far off axis at such close distances. The off axis performance of the Ranger is so poor that any object visible in both barrels at close range is a hopeless mess. The only way I can imagine looking at butterflies through this binocular is to cover one side and use it as a monocular.

Overall, I found the Yosemite to be quite a nice binocular for $100. In some respects (light transmission, contrast, color accuracy and axial sharpness) it is about as good as any binocular, regardless of cost. It's only real weaknesses are off axis sharpness and lateral color and the loss of sharpness is really no worse than you might expect in a budget binocular. I think the Ranger is not only a pretty bad binocular, but also a pretty bad idea for a binocular. Its designers chose a complex and inherently expensive design (air spaced triplet objective with moving focusing element and Schmidt-Pechan prism) and then tried to execute that design cheaply. It makes much more sense for an inexpensive binocular to start with a simple and inexpensive, but optically respectable design like the Yosemite (cemented doublet objective and Porro prism) and then do that well.

Edit: I forgot to mention a few things about the Yosemite. The clear aperture is not 30mm. It's closer to 27mm, apparently because of an undersized baffle behind the objective. The eye relief is about 18mm measured from the glass of the eylens, but only about 13mm measured from the rim of the fully twisted down eyecup. That would make it marginal for eyeglass wearers. Finally, close focus is not so close, about 11 feet for my eyes.

Last edited:
Mike,

The Rangers were returned. That buyer was unhappy from the start, but she couldn't figure out what was wrong. She thought her eyes or her trifocals might be to blame. The Yosemites are staying. That buyer is quite pleased. I would be too.

Henry

Here's a review from Amazon.com on the EO SRT 8x32 Ranger:

"I have some excellent Leitz Trinovid 10x40B binoculars, bought well over 20 years ago. The only drawback to the Trinovids was the non-existent close focusing ability--around 20-25 feet. When I saw these Eagle Optics Rangers focused to 3 feet, I had to have them. I also like the fact that they are medium sized. Compared to the Trinovids, the image is brighter and the resolution appears to be the same. For long distance views, the 10x Trinovids allow better observation of details. For birding, that means the old Leitz binoculars are better suited to shorebirds, raptors and big birds at long distances while the Ranger excell at everything else. The Rangers are also waterproof, rubber armored and have better lens coatings, prisms and ergonomics. The Eagle Optics warranty is simple--if they ever malfunction or break, even if it's due to the owner's fault, they will be repaired or replaced for free. They also cost less than half what I paid for the Trinovids in the 1980s. That makes them a great value."

I still like the earlier Platinum Rangers. If I am buying Chinese bins it'll be the Vortex Diamondbacks. I have both the 8x42 and 10x42 and they perform WAY above the price.

I'll trust a review by Henry 40times over something from Amazon. Although Henry's friends probably got a dud sample. Happens. I don't have the knowledge or skill to test but just like his friend, you can see a problem and convincing some salesman of it can be problemmatic. EO and Cameraland return policy fixes that issue.

Dave

Oh, I believe Henry's resolution test is valid. But what I wonder is how many other models in the SRT's price range would render similar results? Point being, is he merely critiquing a price range? What $300.00 roof prism binocular is better? I know a guy who collects high-end binoculars (owns over 30) and conducts this same test and finds barrel-to-barrel resolution differentials all the time. As you say, that's what a return policy is for.

Mike McDowell
www.birddigiscoping.com

Point being, is he merely critiquing a price range? What $300.00 roof prism binocular is better?

I think the instructive point in Henry Link's analysis is this: a porro prism binocular is a better performer and value optically than a roof prism design in the lower price bracket.

Norm P

What $300.00 roof prism binocular is better?

I got the EO 8x32 Platinum Ranger in hopes that it would be a good butterflying glass. The first unit I got was optically horrible in a variety of ways. EO replaced it with a much better unit, but that one is still well below my standards for comfortable binocular use; I've since looked through a few more 8x32 Ranger units and none was better. The main issue for me, as Henry described, is that the sweet spot is so small--it makes close-up viewing especially unsatisfactory. After these experiences w/the ranger, I promised myself to resist other cheap (=below Pentax SP or equivalent) mid-sized roofs, but last December I happened to try the Browning 8x32 and found it superb in every respect except flare resistance. It is also a very nice binocular for butterfly watching--it focuses to 4 feet and is comfortable to look through at those distances since the field edges can be brought into sharp focus. I'm told it is the same binocular as the Bushnell Legend 8x32.

--AP

The Legends are over $300 everywhere I looked.
I only paid $149 for the Brownings, but they're apparently all gone, now.
If the Legends are indeed the same as the Brownings internally, the Pentax DCF SP is a better binocular, and can be had for about the same price if you shop Amazon.com. They have the same construction as the Browning 8x32s(same binocular with a few cosmetic differences), but with better coatings. Right now the cheapest prices I see are $340 for new ones, and $290 for refurbs from Adorama.
The glare problem that's been mentioned with the Brownings/Legends is a big deal any time the sun is in the viewing direction, or artificial light sources in low light. The Pentax eliminates this for the most part, and also exhibits less CA, based on having taken pictures through them both-I haven't seen CA much if at all with either under normal use with the naked eye.
I gave the Brownings to my dad after having the Pentax for awhile.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back