• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neoprene neck strap? (1 Viewer)

sbpbirder

Just bought some 10x25 CL Pocket Swaro's and very happy we are too. However the neck strap is horrible, can anyone recommend a comfy neoprene one as our old one's from regular bins don't fit. Thanks. :)

As the wire strap lugs of the CL-P are so small, a regular neckstrap such as the EL's will probably not fit. I agree that the CL-P's neckstrap is horrible, and changed mine out. In order to use a regular neckstrap such as the very nice Vero Vellini, you will need the quick-connects such as the ones seen in the link below. They can be purchased by themselves, and once you thread them on, you can then use any neckstrap of a standard width that you choose. Vero-V makes a very nice and very inexpensive strap that is only about 25mm wide (or thereabouts), and would be perfect for the CL-P.

BTW, I would not recommend the strap in the link below. It is very comfortable, but works better with the small 20mm compacts in the 8oz range. It is somewhat narrow, and although more comfortable than the OEM CL-P neckstrap, does not distribute the weight of the CL-P as well as a Vero or Crumpler or OEM Leupold or OEM Minox strap. The link is provided just to show the thread-on quick-connect strap adapters.

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-B...07074564&sr=8-3&keywords=binocular+neck+strap

Interesting. For me, the OEM Pocket strap works just fine. A neoprene strap strikes me as possible overkill. Lord, the bino barely weighs 12 ounces.

But then again I often use 29 ounce full-sized binos for six hours at a time. Give me neoprene, or give me death in that case, despite the fact that neoprene is sweaty stuff. ;)

Mark

@Kammerdiner well I'm not as tough as you, I like a nice soft neckstrap! ;)

@PhilR thanks, I'll check out your recommendations. Had thought it might need 'quick release' type strap and connectors but was slightly nervous of the idea of 'quick release' at the wrong moment! :) Edit - do you have link to the Vero-V or Crumpler? I presume they attach okay to the Op tech QR loops? Is this they?

Last edited:
@Kammerdiner well I'm not as tough as you, I like a nice soft neckstrap! ;)

@PhilR thanks, I'll check out your recommendations. Had thought it might need 'quick release' type strap and connectors but was slightly nervous of the idea of 'quick release' at the wrong moment! :) Edit - do you have link to the Vero-V or Crumpler? I presume they attach okay to the Op tech QR loops? Is this they?

The Crumpler "Popular Disgrace" (they have really weird names for their products) is a very comfortable but minimalist strap, and can be found on the Amazon site. The first one I ordered did not have tacky buttons on the back side, but the 2nd one I got has them. I much prefer the one without the tacky buttons, which are more useful if you are using the strap as a shoulder strap, instead of a neckstrap. If you can get one without the sticky buttons, it would IMO be a very good choice for the weight of the CL-P.

The Vero-V can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Vero-Vellini-...&qid=1407211000&sr=1-16&keywords=vero+vellini

I believe that the QR loops I have are the same ones in the link you posted.

hth,
PhilR.

Thanks for your help PhilR. I had seen the Crumpler ones but wasn't sure of the fit. They (and Vero) seem to be very difficult, if not impossible to get in the UK, will haveto investigate ordering from USA. :)

Thanks for your help PhilR. I had seen the Crumpler ones but wasn't sure of the fit. They (and Vero) seem to be very difficult, if not impossible to get in the UK, will haveto investigate ordering from USA. :)

One more suggestion -- if you can get Minox products where you live, then see if you can get one of their neckstraps. The ones they include with binos such as the BV line are quite comfortable. They are about 26mm to perhaps 30mm wide (don't know for sure, as I sold my Minox).

@PhilR - I''l have a rummage around as my old 'heavy' bins are Minox and I didn't use the strap they came with. Ta.

Recently replaced the shoe string strap on my Victory 8X20 with the Op-Tech mini QD neoprene plus extenders.......a definite improvement. Thanks PhilR.

Recently replaced the shoe string strap on my Victory 8X20 with the Op-Tech mini QD neoprene plus extenders.......a definite improvement. Thanks PhilR.

glad to read that it worked out for you. Our 10x25 Ultravid HD also came with a shoe string strap, and we also believe that the neoprene strap w/extenders is a definite improvement.

For anyone else who comes across this thread.....

regarding Kammerdiner's comments above -- it's not the weight of these small binos that is the concern. The issue is actually the discomfort at the exposed skin of the neck, and that is due to the very rough and poorly-finished edges of these small straps that come from manufacturers such as Swarovski. A $59 Redfield bino comes with a better-made and more comfortable strap than does a Swarovski CL-P. Of course, the Redfield strap does not have a little metal bird on it.......

Well, that makes sense. I never bird without a collared shirt/coat. I use the collar as a "second skin." I don't want ANY strap directly against my skin if I can help it.

Mark

Well, that makes sense. I never bird without a collared shirt/coat. I use the collar as a "second skin." I don't want ANY strap directly against my skin if I can help it.

Mark

Dead right Mark. Why can't bins makers come up with a neck strap that feels like a caress by Cate Blanchett?

I would buy a dozen straight off the bat o:D

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back