• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (9 Viewers)

I'll take a look at it Keith, seeing as it's my local patch. I need to read up on it first and figure out what it all means. I rode by Swilly last night and saw nothing of interest really, maybe the pied wag going after a green woodpecker but that was all.

Called in at Blacktoft, bit of a wasted trek to be honest. Singleton was shit, there was nothing on Townend, which meant I had to trek all the way down to Marshland to watch a couple of distant water rails in fading light.

Where there's muck!

... there's a pectoral sandpiper. Down at the Dewsbury Sewage works this morning also green sand, common sand, ruff, grey wag, egyptian goose and mandarin.

John (the guy who birds it every day) also put me onto a couple of late sedge warblers too.

Then off to Rodley and grabbed a couple of snipe, but not much else.

Fair burn yesterday produced water rail, kingfisher and green sand. But no night heron for me.

Attachments

• dewspec.jpg
    dewspec.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 96
  • dewspec1.jpg
    dewspec1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 103
  • gypgoosedews.jpg
    gypgoosedews.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
originally posted by K.D.

I had a quick trip down to Swillington today, you could tell the weather had changed as the birds were very few. No hirudines at all, last week there had been plenty hawking over the water.
Best birds of the day were 5 dunlin which flew in to feed on one of the shingle islands.

Didn't the Marsh harriers put on a show for you then Keith?, been performing well my last couple of trips
pete

Loads of Pink-foot over Brid yesterday but no sign of the Snow Goose. Almost broke my neck as I tripped up trying to get my bins from the house as a large group flew over. Got a funny look from the bloke next door as I tried to explain the significance of a Snow Goose garden tick!

Last edited:
... there's a pectoral sandpiper. Down at the Dewsbury Sewage works this morning also green sand, common sand, ruff, grey wag, egyptian goose and mandarin.

John (the guy who birds it every day) also put me onto a couple of late sedge warblers too.

Then off to Rodley and grabbed a couple of snipe, but not much else.

Fair burn yesterday produced water rail, kingfisher and green sand. But no night heron for me.

Marcus, what is the position re access at this site?

When I went, it was pot luck that I bumped into the guy who works it regularly. I think if I hadn't done, views would have been restricted to from the fence, and most birds are in sunken beds that you wouldn't see.

Is that still the crack? I can't understand why records are put out from this site, if people are doscouraged from going, and then you see shots of the Pec. like yours and others on Birdguides.

Is the Pec. viewable from the fence?

Also, can you give a six figure grid ref. as I've forgotten exactly where it is.

Thanks.

Marcus, what is the position re access at this site?

When I went, it was pot luck that I bumped into the guy who works it regularly. I think if I hadn't done, views would have been restricted to from the fence, and most birds are in sunken beds that you wouldn't see.

Is that still the crack? I can't understand why records are put out from this site, if people are doscouraged from going, and then you see shots of the Pec. like yours and others on Birdguides.

Is the Pec. viewable from the fence?

Also, can you give a six figure grid ref. as I've forgotten exactly where it is.

Thanks.

Gird reference is SE264196, and that's the simple bit- basically head to the end of low road Dewsbry and this is one where you can quite literally follow your nose!!

The sewage works is a private working site, with no agreed public access or rights of way. As I understand it (and this is from heresay and anecdote) the owners are considerate to birders and will let them onto the site. There is a hide and there are about four parking places that can be used by visitors to the site. That is part of the problem, once these are full then there is nowhere else to park other than getting in the way of workers which is totally unacceptable. Additionally there are strict opening and closing times and you will juust be locked in if you remian outside of these times.

Having said that again I am led to belive that birders eye's are appreciated on what is an open site with many comings and goings. It is also quite easy to bird without getting in anyones way, and as a site is very interesting, and at only 15 minutes from my house a new site that I will visit again. There are about 8 lagoons with different levels of water on, and this will be on my list for Jack Snipe and Water Pipit in winter for sure. it can be done in half an hour, but there is enough to keep someone bsy for half a day too!

So my assumption wold be that limited numbers (less than 10 certainly) of considerate birders would be ok. John, the guy who birds it every day, limits the info that comes out to ensure access remains, and I can't blame him. There are no facilities to cope with a flood of birders, and it may jeopardise the future release of news from the site too.

So in summmary. This is a private site, with no public access where current owners turn a blind eye to a small number of local birders who visit in a considerate manner. Maybe someone who knows more will clarify the exact position in due course.

Last edited:
Gird reference is SE264196, and that's the simple bit- basically head to the end of low road Dewsbry and this is one where you can quite literally follow your nose!!

The sewage works is a private working site, with no agreed public access or rights of way. As I understand it (and this is from heresay and anecdote) the owners are considerate to birders and will let them onto the site. There is a hide and there are about four parking places that can be used by visitors to the site. That is part of the problem, once these are full then there is nowhere else to park other than getting in the way of workers which is totally unacceptable. Additionally there are strict opening and closing times and you will juust be locked in if you remian outside of these times.

Having said that again I am led to belive that birders eye's are appreciated on what is an open site with many comings and goings. It is also quite easy to bird without getting in anyones way, and as a site is very interesting, and at only 15 minutes from my house a new site that I will visit again. There are about 8 lagoons with different levels of water on, and this will be on my list for Jack Snipe and Water Pipit in winter for sure. it can be done in half an hour, but there is enough to keep someone bsy for half a day too!

So my assumption wold be that limited numbers (less than 10 certainly) of considerate birders would be ok. John, the guy who birds it every day, limits the info that comes out to ensure access remains, and I can't blame him. There are no facilities to cope with a flood of birders, and it may jeopardise the future release of news from the site too.

So in summmary. This is a private site, with no public access where current owners turn a blind eye to a small number of local birders who visit in a considerate manner. Maybe someone who knows more will clarify the exact position in due course.

How do you know it will be open when you get there - e.g. Sunday?

Rodley - 1000th post

Seemed appropos for the my 1000th to be about another fruitless trip to Rodley. Despite extensive searching for the reported Stonechat and Wheatear I was unable to pick out either.

Three snipe still on the marsh, and a lesser black back which is noteworthy for Rodley.

Went to Blacktoft, 3 Curlew sands, Green Sand, Spotshank, Snipe and thats about it. Had a flyover large raptor at swinefleet that felt like a HB. Bums. Went to North Duffield and Bank Island. Nowt there tho.

Hi all

I went on the RSPB cruise from bridlington today. The boat was full and the sea choppy many people got a soaking from the spray.

we saw Arctic skua,Red throated diver,Great skua,Little gulls,Puffin, Guillemot,Razorbill,Sandwich tern,Common tern,Great black backed gull, Herring gull,Kittiwake,Fulmar,Black-headed gull,Turnstone,Teal,Pinkfooted geese,Cormorant,Shag,Gannet,Sooty Shearwater,Manx shearwater. But the star of the trip was a very obliging juv Sabines Gull that kept visiting the chum line. On the way home a red kite was in a field not far from the road.

This is my second cruise in two years, I think they are excellent value for money and well run.

cheers Julie

Went down to visit a friend in North Lincs this morning, had a Hobby from the M62 just east of Ferrybridge Services, Marsh Harrier from the M18 (near the M62 junction) and another Marsh Harrier from the M180 (near the M18 junction)!!!

Cheers

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back