• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ergonomics (2 Viewers)

My PUEB shows flat underside with tripod attachment, and movable ocular sockets for adjustment of IPD.
See attached thumbnail.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 182
This one shows the possibility of doublesided use in any weather, i.e. normal or upside-down position.
With 4 eyelets on the bins, A and B in lower drawing, it's possible to attach the strap in 2 different ways, so the bins will always hang vertically from your chest. F is the focus knob.

I forgot to mention the leather bino yoke in the herefore thumbnail; a rigid bar of some plastic material, that would bend a little under pressure, covered with thick padded leather and attachment points for the strap-ends left and right. It's basically the same concept as the infamous COATHANGER, but it looks a lot better. And believe me, it will help tremendously in carrying heavier bins.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 188
This one shows the tripod attachment on the underside of the bins.
And simple placement of the bins on the tripod.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 161
This is an optional idea for a rainguard on the objectives.
A lower placed pair of eyelets on the bins ( C ) also used for attaching the glove in thumbnail 1, can be fitted with 2 short elastic bands that attach to the objectives rainguard.
A nice snug fit protects the objectives against dust also.
When using the bins you just flip off the guard and let it hang under the bins, the elastic bands being so short it doesn't block the view. You might also flip the rainguard up, on the bins so it does not get in the way between the bins and the body when walking.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 174
I hate to interrupt constructive Rube Goldberging, but has anyone considered making a provision in the eyepiece for the user's eyeglass correction, adjusted, of course, to the binoculars' magnification?

No? How's about an automatic back scratcher. See attached conceptualization.

Ed

Attachments

• rube_back.gif
    rube_back.gif
    74.4 KB · Views: 152
Electric focuser crossed my mind. A cup holder is a much better idea, of course.:-O

Greetings, Ronald

Hi Ronald,

this is really a load full of ideas and - BTW very nice drawings! The idea with the objective covers would work pretty good and there´s a need for something like this because all objective covers I know tend to bother. They open up when they shouldn´t and dangle around when open. Some others - I hate to mention it but this shouldn´t terminate creativity - already exist. The tripod mount come with some of the Canon IS bins and the "glove" comes with the Fujinon Technostabis. With "glove" I meant something else, more like a atouchable rubber armoring, a kind of dress for the bins. The advantages would be this: weight saving with "jacket" off (see e.g. Leica Ultravid BLs). the manufactorer could provide jackets of different size and shape for hands of different size. The material should be soft to be adaptable even better (something similar comes with the new Steiner Discovery bins but only as small spots underneath the bins).

Steve

I suggest a simple detachable hook which fastens to the underside of the binocular then slips over a belt or the top of your trousers to take the weight off your neck.

Also an adjustable stop which can be set when the correct IPD has been found so that the barrels can quickly be returned to the right position after being packed away in the case.

Ron

Also an adjustable stop which can be set when the correct IPD has been found so that the barrels can quickly be returned to the right position after being packed away in the case.

Ron

I like that one. :t:

But there are hinge locks on some models that can be used with the IPD scale.

Hi Ronald,

this is really a load full of ideas and - BTW very nice drawings! The idea with the objective covers would work pretty good and there´s a need for something like this because all objective covers I know tend to bother. They open up when they shouldn´t and dangle around when open. Some others - I hate to mention it but this shouldn´t terminate creativity - already exist. The tripod mount come with some of the Canon IS bins and the "glove" comes with the Fujinon Technostabis. With "glove" I meant something else, more like a atouchable rubber armoring, a kind of dress for the bins. The advantages would be this: weight saving with "jacket" off (see e.g. Leica Ultravid BLs). the manufactorer could provide jackets of different size and shape for hands of different size. The material should be soft to be adaptable even better (something similar comes with the new Steiner Discovery bins but only as small spots underneath the bins).

Steve

Thanks!

Now I understand your glove concept! I got the wrong impression, my fault. Good thinking, only how are they attached on the bins? You reckon velcro, or by buttons, or some other way that would allow a firm grip without friction between the bins and the mantle?

Greetings, Ronald

I suggest a simple detachable hook which fastens to the underside of the binocular then slips over a belt or the top of your trousers to take the weight off your neck.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Both excellent ideas!

Greetings, Ronald

Thanks!

Now I understand your glove concept! I got the wrong impression, my fault. Good thinking, only how are they attached on the bins? You reckon velcro, or by buttons, or some other way that would allow a firm grip without friction between the bins and the mantle?

Greetings, Ronald

Hi Ronald,

yes, exactly, I thought on buttons. The surfaces of both, the bins and the jacket could be coated by something with anti-slip effect. additional some velcro could help also. I could imagine not only different jackets for different people but also different jackets for different purposes. For example a sea jacket with thick armoring offers best shock prevention.

Steve

.... I use microscopes for my work, and have never had a problem with rough focusing or too much play in the mechanism, yet these are common problems with binoculars and spotting scopes. Why is that? What is it about binocular and scope design that makes it hard to get good focusing mechanisms? ....Bruce

Microscopes need no waterproofing, and they are basically just used under room temperatures. Certainly two major reasons why it is easier to achieve smooth focus with them.

The Binoc-Lock from Vortex

Ron

Hey Ron

Check out one of our new binocular accessories on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkkste9HK8

More info on our site here - will be available very soon. http://www.vortexoptics.com/accessories/view/binoc-loc

Best part about it - fits almost all roof prism binoculars with a tripod adapter socket between the barrels. Designed by Vortex for Vortex binoculars but will work on many others!

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey Ron

Check out one of our new binocular accessories on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkkste9HK8

More info on our site here - will be available very soon. http://www.vortexoptics.com/accessories/view/binoc-loc

Best part about it - fits almost all roof prism binoculars with a tripod adapter socket between the barrels. Designed by Vortex for Vortex binoculars but will work on many others!

Thanks

Outstanding! I'll have to try one out. IPD settings are really critical to maintain.

Thanks for the post.

Ed

In this discussion of binocular ergonomics, why do binoculars still use two parallel optics trains, with all the collimation misery that involves, instead of just one, with a beam splitter before the two eyepieces? It would seem simpler and cheaper to make, as well as lighter and more robust.

In this discussion of binocular ergonomics, why do binoculars still use two parallel optics trains, with all the collimation misery that involves, instead of just one, with a beam splitter before the two eyepieces? It would seem simpler and cheaper to make, as well as lighter and more robust.

Hi;
If I understand your description right, I think then you would just have a scope with binocular eyepieces and lose the stereo properties.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back